El Rey del Mundo Lonsdale (NISU SS1)

Good day at work today, so came home and did some painting that needed done at the house. Sat down with my Mate and lit up this cigar while we had drinks and talked over the day. Here are my thoughts.

El Rey del Mundo Lonsdale (NISU SS1)

This was a delicious looking cigar. The wrapper was a milk-chocolate brown with a couple of veins to enhance its appearance. The seams were very well done, almost invisible, but the triple-flagged cap was fairly sloppy. The pre-light nose was almost non-existent (could be my alergies), though what I detected was earth and leather. I clipped the end, tested the draw, and spewed forth a long line of explicatives. A very tight draw. I performed a bit of surgery with a cordless drill and small bit and viola, it opened a bit.

After toasting the end, I applied the torch and the cigar immediately lit up. The draw stayed very tight, but it was not completely plugged thanks to my deconstruction efforts. Smoke production was on the low end. The ash was almost white and very firm, requiring a bit of force to remove from the foot. The burn was dead even all the way to the end...I never even had to think about reaching for the torch. The smoke was cool down to the last 1.5 inches, where my hard draws caused it to heat up a bit.

Now, the only reason I didn't pitch this cigar was the taste. Every properly-aged ERDM that I have smoked had a common trait...wonderful toasted tobacco flavors and a bit of a nutty hint. This cigar had it in spades. It started with some wood and maybe a bit of honey sweetness. There was a bit of creamy coffee as well that quickly developed into the toasty notes with nuts. It kept this wonderful flavor profile throughout the rest of the smoke. It developed a bit of earth and a mineral undertone after the half-way mark, but I think this was because of the hard drawing.

Despite the very tight draw, I really enjoyed this cigar. This cigar tasted like an ERDM should (at least in my book). It had me thinking, "I just wonder how good one that draws well will be?" Even with the construction problems, I will give this a solid B (85-87). Had it smoked well, I can see it easily being an A- to A smoke.

Great review dawg!

So many of this vitola (1998-2001) suffer from the "Lonsdale Curse" of an unpleasant tight draw. Situation improved incrementally each year post 2001. 2005 Lonsdales are no more likely to be plugged than any other cigar.

» So many of this vitola (1998-2001) suffer from the "Lonsdale Curse" of an

» unpleasant tight draw. Situation improved incrementally each year post

» 2001. 2005 Lonsdales are no more likely to be plugged than any other

» cigar.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Most '98s that I buy are constructed wonderfully...this is the first that is not. Wonder why it is so hard to roll this vitila properly? I have lonsdales from 00 and 99 that are the same. Only a few have not had a tight draw and many have been completely plugged. The only exception are some Partagas Lonsdales from 2001...they have all smoked very well. I have some from 2003 that I can only hope are constructed well. We'll see.

• 4 months later...

I sat out with a glass of wine and another of these ERDM Lonsdales from '98 yesterday evening. Talk about a different cigar when it draws.

Beautiful medium to dark brown wrapper. Had a very suedish feel to it. There were a few veins to mar the surface...looked like the cigar had been in a wreck and had to be sewed back up. The seams, however, were very tight and the triple-cap was perfect. The pre-light nose was mild, but had scents of coffee, tobacco, and wood. I clipped the cigar using my Il Corona and tested the draw...firm, but acceptable.

I lit this lovely cigar up and once again tested the draw. It was firm, but smoke production was adequate. As I smoked the cigar, the draw actually opened just a tad...it stayed firm, but it was smokable without undue effort. The burn was dead even and a nice resin line formed just above the burn. The ash was light gray with clear striations. It was also very firm. The cigar burned cool down to the last 3/4 inch.

The flavors started out with straight-forward tobacco and coffee flavors, overlaid with just a hint of undefinable spice. As the cigar progressed, the tobacco became toasted and the coffee actually began to taste like it was mixed with nutmeg. This was a delicious mixture. As I continued to smoke, the toasted tobacco remained and something akin to toasted almonds appeared on the palate. By the end of the cigar, the flavors were just north of medium and had a very pleasant balance of toastiness/nuttiness and coffe flavors. A very pleasant smoke.

When this cigar draws, it is a delight. I would smoke this most anytime. I said in my earlier review that is it drew, it would be rate much higher. Well, it did. I give this cigar an A- (90-91).

» I sat out with a glass of wine and another of these ERDM Lonsdales from '98

» yesterday evening. Talk about a different cigar when it draws.

»

» Beautiful medium to dark brown wrapper. Had a very suedish feel to it.

» There were a few veins to mar the surface...looked like the cigar had been

» in a wreck and had to be sewed back up. The seams, however, were very

» tight and the triple-cap was perfect. The pre-light nose was mild, but

» had scents of coffee, tobacco, and wood. I clipped the cigar using my Il

» Corona and tested the draw...firm, but acceptable.

»

» I lit this lovely cigar up and once again tested the draw. It was firm,

» but smoke production was adequate. As I smoked the cigar, the draw

» actually opened just a tad...it stayed firm, but it was smokable without

» undue effort. The burn was dead even and a nice resin line formed just

» above the burn. The ash was light gray with clear striations. It was

» also very firm. The cigar burned cool down to the last 3/4 inch.

»

» The flavors started out with straight-forward tobacco and coffee flavors,

» overlaid with just a hint of undefinable spice. As the cigar progressed,

» the tobacco became toasted and the coffee actually began to taste like it

» was mixed with nutmeg. This was a delicious mixture. As I continued to

» smoke, the toasted tobacco remained and something akin to toasted almonds

» appeared on the palate. By the end of the cigar, the flavors were just

» north of medium and had a very pleasant balance of toastiness/nuttiness

» and coffe flavors. A very pleasant smoke.

»

» When this cigar draws, it is a delight. I would smoke this most anytime.

» I said in my earlier review that is it drew, it would be rate much higher.

» Well, it did. I give this cigar an A- (90-91).

Wow! Sounds awesome. Glad to hear that you got one that showed you all of what it had to offer. Excellent review.