Punch Super Selection No. 1 (EOG JUN00)

Attended a herf in Baltimore on Saturday. Sat in the Explorer's Lounge with an Irish Coffee and smoked this cigar. Here are my thoughts:

Punch Super Selection No. 1 (EOG JUN00)

Very nice medium-brown wrapper with just a couple of minor veins. The seams were very well applied and the triple-flagged cap was sharp and neat. The pre-light nose was huge, with fantastic aromas of sweet earth and freshly mulched beds. This is the nose that I most identify as being "Punch." I clipped it and tested the draw...a little tight, but it should work out OK.

I applied the torch and yes, I was right, the draw opened up to just tight of perfect. Regardless, the cigar produced plenty of aromatic smoke with each puff. Made for wonderful smoke-ring blowing fun! The cigar burned absolutely even throughout. Never had to apply the torch or even think about it. The ash was medium gray and mottled, a little flakey, but not too bad. The smoke, however, stayed cool down to the last half-an-inch...allowing me to truly nub this cigar.

The taste out of this cigar had me saying "wow." It started off with sweet earth mixed with espresso. The espresso was quiet and not overstated, adding just a nice balance to the earthiness. The sweetness was that of good soil or mulch...it was excellent. As the cigar developed, the earthiness increased and the espresso was replace by a slight woodiness and a hint of sweet spice. The sweet earthiness stayed true down to the very end. Damn this cigar tasted good.

The Super Selection No. 1 has the truest flavor that I qualify as "Punch." It is the epitome of the brand's flavor profile. I split a cab with some friends and am wishing I had not at this point. Every single cigar out of this batch has been special. I give this cigar a solid A (92-94).:ok:

I believe your every word. I love this cigar and wish there were more to be had. Out of their minds to D/C this vitola:-(

» I believe your every word. I love this cigar and wish there were more to be

» had. Out of their minds to D/C this vitola:-(

I thought they only discontinued the SS#2. It was my belief that the SS#1 was still available. If they have been discontinued, I must begin my search for a couple of cabs.:lookaround:

Possibly my favorite of the Punch Marca. While I love the Punch Corona Gordas, I think the Corona Grande with its thinner guage and longer length is a more elegant smoke that retains the best Punch characteristics. More complex smoke than the RS#11 and smokable at a much younger age than the SS#2.

Love Them...Love them....Love them :love:

Unfortunately, the most plug ridden cigar in the market particularly 1998 - 2001. If you have a great cab you are in for a treat....if you have a tight cab...you might as well use them for darts.

We had so many plugged cabs of PSS1 in 2001 that we stopped purchasing them. This must have been pre-Ken days otherwise I would have sold them to him :lol2:

• 5 months later...

Just smoked another of these tonight. They are progessing very nicely. Here are my thoughts.

Punch Supper Selection No. 1 (EOG JUN00)

This cigar had an oily, medium-brown wrapper with a slightly reddish hue. There was one major vein, but it was not a detractor. The seams were tight and the triple cap was very neat. The pre-light nose was huge, very sweet and intense, with definite cardamon spice. The pre-light draw upon clipping was firm, but not beyond hope.

The cigar lit easily and the draw opened up just a bit. It was firm and tighter than I like, but satisfactory. Smoke production was adequate and the smoke itself was medium-thick. A nice, shiny resin line was prominent just above the burn line. The ash was medium-gray and fairly firm, with good striations. The ash became a bit less striated and more mottled as I smoked. The cigar burned even throughout the smoke and it remained cool down to the last inch.

The flavors upon lighting were intense "Punch-sweetness" with some woody flavors and a bit of musty (in a good way) tobacco. The smoke was medum to full bodied. There was a tanginess on the palate, though definitely not citrus. The tobacco was very clean tasting...possibly the cleanest tasting Punch that I have every smoked. After about 1.5 inches, the richness increased considerably and morphed into more sweet-mustiness. Past the midpoint, the sweet-Punchiness really picked up. As the cigar approached the end, it had a bit of the nasal/sinus effect adn became a bit tannic. Overall taste qualification...sweet and tangy...fantastic.

This was a great cigar. I smoked one a week ago, but it was the second cigar of the day. I really wanted to review this on a clean palate. It was nice to note that this cigar still has a lot of room to age and improve. Right now? I still rate it an A (92-94).

Thanks for yet another enticing review, Dawg! This is truly a great cigar, another that consistently flies "under the radar". Because of it's tannic core, and depth of flavor, this vitola takes quite a few years to mature. At least four to five years. It will be interesting to see how more recent Punches are influenced by the "aged ligero" that Habanos has been using. Will they be approachable sooner? Anybody try any '06 Punch?