Montecristo Edmundo - AIS DIC04

Montecristo Edmundo - AIS DIC04

As with most I was not impressed with the original release of this cigar but have seen an improvement with later releases and some box age. Following is a review of a later release.

Unlike the original release this Dec 04 Edmundo was rolled significantly better, but still was a bit looser than I would expect from a well rolled cigar. The wrapper was a medium colorado with the sheen just beginning to emerge. The cigar is a very nice size and comfortable to smoke. The cigar looked good, clipped well and lit perfectly. Right off the bat it was clear that due to the roll this was a cigar that would require smoking at a slower pace to avoid overheating.

Immediate flavors of dusty soil and wood emerged. This vitola generated tremendous amounts of rich blue smoke and burned a bit inverted. Clearly a Monte from a flavor perspective. As suspected the cigar burned a bit faster than I like. The flavor remained fairly consistent from beginning to end and did not show much in the way of complexity. While not tannic or bitter I sensed a dryness to the smoke. The most disappointing part of the cigar was an unusually short finish.

Overall I would rate this cigar "fair".... which makes it a far cry better than the originals I tried, but certainly not one I would go out of my way to find. Time will tell with this cigar but I don't hold out much hope that it will develope into anything more than an "OK" smoke.

I keep holding out hope that the Edmundo will be better in future releases as the format and marca make a great combination.

One of Ken's favourites.

A poorly rolled cigar (underfilled) can never deliver what the blender intended. It is a damn shame.

The Edmundo has grown on me. Cream Coffee Montecristo profile.

Have you had any of these recently Ken?

Nice review Reid !

» » One of Ken's favourites.

» »

» » A poorly rolled cigar (underfilled) can never deliver what the blender

» » intended. It is a damn shame.

» »

» Or rolled too tightly imo

The blend is also very tempermental. It can be strong or bland in the same box. what gives? I thought cuba was world renowned for quality control?

Guest cohiba

I have put some of these away for aging, i'm going to revisit this one TONIGHT. When i first got them, they had a greenish wrapper. Close to 1 yr later, they are looking damn nice.

» I have put some of these away for aging, i'm going to revisit this one

» TONIGHT. When i first got them, they had a greenish wrapper. Close to 1 yr

» later, they are looking damn nice.

I had put these away as dissapointing when I first tried them. After reading a similar thread on another board, I pulled one out. I was nicely surprised at the changes in this cigar. So much so I plan on getting a couple more boxes as soon as I can figure out how to order from this site.

• 2 weeks later...

» » I have put some of these away for aging, i'm going to revisit this one

» » TONIGHT. When i first got them, they had a greenish wrapper. Close to 1

» yr

» » later, they are looking damn nice.

»

» I had put these away as dissapointing when I first tried them. After

» reading a similar thread on another board, I pulled one out. I was nicely

» surprised at the changes in this cigar. So much so I plan on getting a

» couple more boxes as soon as I can figure out how to order from this site.

I did not regret my latest purchase of these - much better than original purchase - were from 04 but better made and aging is doing them well cheers Mike:-)

» One of Ken's favourites.

»

» A poorly rolled cigar (underfilled) can never deliver what the blender

» intended. It is a damn shame.

»

» The Edmundo has grown on me. Cream Coffee Montecristo profile.

»

» Have you had any of these recently Ken?

not for quite a few months. one in jan that i loved and that was the first since sept. almost all mine have come from a box picked up in havana a while back - ENH Jul 04 - and i know others have not been as excited as i have. perhaps i just jagged a special box or others have got duds. picked up one or two on this most recent trip (sticks, not boxes - had intended boxes but ran out of room and as detailed in another thread, really surprised that they were priced higher than monte 2's) but yet to try them.

Sounds like we might need to take these for a spin. We may hit a pocket where they start hitting the quality where they were at about 1-2 decades ago. It will be interesting to watch how the current production ages over the next 5-10 years. Definitely one to keep our eyes open for.

HI,

This is definitely one cigar i love at first sight. And as per what a lot of people had commented, there seem to be some transformation on the taste. I read Cigar Aficiandno, and it was commented that nothing was done to the blend except prehaps better QC. Hmmm... how is that possible though? Well... i don mind especially if it is getting better and better ! :) Classis Montecristo on the flavours. :)

And hey, i am definitely laying down more aging :)

Thanks for the post ... I've all but given up on this cigar.

My experiences with two different boxes were that they were all over the road. No consistency even within the same box.

Considered that a youth issue.

Might reconsider.