Bolivar Gold Medal -LCdH Germany Release

Bolivar Gold Medal -LCdH Germany Release

I did this review back in January of this year and after seeing what El Presidente said in his review I thought this would be worthwhile posting...

I have been looking at these cigars for some time wondering when the best time would be to "break the box". For some strange reason I always find it difficult to break a box yet I am never reluctant to buy a box (as long as Visa approves).. I guess so that I have more boxes that I don't want to break. Am I the only one in this debt spiral... oh yeah I was reviewing the BGM..

The cigar was perfect from a construction standpoint with a milk chocolate wrapper, hints of developing sheen and a firm feel. It drew and burned perfectly. The cigar was stored at 61-62% since acquisition. While I have never smoked or for that matter seen an original BGM I can't offer a lot of comparisons between the two vitola.

The prelight aroma from the cigar was soil and spice. There was almost a sweetness to the aroma as well as a distinctive freshness. Once lit the cigar was full flavored with lots of soil, damp earth and peat like tones. As the cigar heated up the flavor intensity appeared to increase. I did not find the cigar harsh or tannic, both of which I was expecting. I found the flavor a bit one dimensional given the strength of the earthen flavors. At the same time I found it had more complexity then I would have expected. The finish was moderate in length but appealing. Overall I enjoyed the cigar and would recommend those that have them to give one a try. As with old wines this cigar may prove to be more attractive in it's youth than in old age.

I am not sure of the aging potential of this cigar.... meaning that it will improve over the years but is it a 25 year cigar... not sure. I find the Inmensa stronger and more robust than the BGM.... and possibly a longer lived cigar.

I recently won a Bolivar Gold Medal in a contest sponsored by a member here on another board, and it arrived yesterday. The cigar looks absolutely wonderful! Now I know that Van keeps his humidors well adjusted and so it has been resting quite comfortably waiting for the day for it to meet its doom. I immediately placed it inside my humidor to maintain it slumber for some far off day to be enjoyed. Thanks for the review, and I look forward to the day when I reach inside my humidor and pluck this bad boy out, I think that I may just have to wait for some special occasion to smoke it.

Great review Cigarnv, as always.

I have had three of them from 2 different boxes. They were all over the board. One was sweet, smooth and complex. The next was a total earth bomb -- to ply a phrase used re the originals, shockingly so. The next was a bit harsh and youthful tasting. So what what will these hold longterm, I dunno. I say its just too early to tell for sure. But they were made at Partagas, and presumably from select raw materials. So let's hold and hope.:-P