Le Hoyo des Dieux - 1970

I was one of the fortunate souls who was blessed with a 1970 Le Hoyo des Dieux from a dear friend during a recent gathering in Northern Virginia. In a word the des Dieux was magnificent!!

The cigar was perfect in construction with a colorado wrapper and a very nice sheen. I enjoyed this cigar just after dinner. Several observations-

The cigar was extremely firm to the touch and while it drew perfectly, it burned very slowly. Although it was a very slow burn it threw off incredible amounts of smoke that I did not have to strain to create. I found the flavor profile enticing... honey, dried apricots, hints of toasted almonds and a beautiful underlying woodiness. This cigar was incredibly well balanced and revealed layers of complexity. The des Dieux was a good bit stronger than I anticipated but with enough solid flavor to carry the strength. Most memorable was the length of flavor that remained on the palate for some time after the smoke departed.

The des Dieux is a cigar I have never given much thought to until I was provided with this 1970 gem. It was so enjoyable I pulled a cabinet of 1998's from the humidor that still had 24 cigars remaining. While a very nice cigar with clear family lines it was far from being the cigar the 1970 was...... it was however good enough for me to order up an extra 50 cab from Rob to put away for the future. I must say that I was extremely pleased with the cabinet Rob selected.

The 1970 des Dieux from my dear friend was a cigar that causes one to appreciate the seduction of well choosen vintage cigars.