H Upmann Petite Corona (PUC AUG01)

Sat down on Saturday night with my Mate and some great friends. Drank some wine and fired up a H Upmann PC. Great little smoke. Here are my thoughts...

H Upmann Petite Corona (PUC AUG01)

This particular batch of petite coronas have nice dark wrapper, reminescent of dark chocolate. They also still have just a bit of an oily sheen. There were no veins to speak of and the seams were practically invisible. This cigar was fairly box-pressed. The triple-flagged cap was an sharp as any I've ever seen. The pre-light nose was all herbal and earthy, with some nice loam/peat thrown in. I clipped it and was treated to an almost perfect pre-light draw. This was one attractive cigar.

I applied my trusty torch to the foot and toasted it nicely. A couple of puffs and it was lit. The draw stayed just right and each puff coaxed mouthfuls of thick, rich smoke from the cigar. The burn was perfect down to the very end where it went just "wonky." (actually, the wrapper unraveled a bit, but it was so close to the end it didn't matter). The ash was medium gray and very firm. The cigar also stayed cool, the smoke never heating up my mouth in the least.

The thick smoke was medium to full in body. In fact, I find these to be one of the most full-bodied petite coronas that I have in my collection. The flavors were very rich, containing a nice balance of herbal notes and earth. There was a bit of sweet wood that came out around the midway point and even some coffee/cocoa notes. This was a pretty complex little cigar.

I thoroughly enjoyed this petite corona. I like the H Upmann flavor profile, but especially the PC and the Super Corona. They just seem to be fuller bodied and richer. This cigar was good enough that it is pushing for third place among my favorite PCs. As it is, i give this cigar an A- (90-91).

NIce review. I am at the end of an 03 box right now. But this is one of the Petite Coronas that leaves me wanting more. Not the right amout of fullness or umph as the #2 or Mag 46.

But , still they are a great cigar with the classic H. Upmann flavor.

» Thanks for the review!

»

» The Super Coronas are fantastic smokes, if any can still be found on the

» planet :-(

I agree. I have only one box of Super Coronas that I am nursing from now until time ad infinitem. Fact is, they are '01s that I don't really think are ready to smoke...maybe just one more year, then they'll be ready.

That said, I've not been able to find anymore. At least not at: 1) a reputable dealer or 2) a price I would be willing to pay.

Guess I'll just have to keep looking. Hell, that's half the fun of this hobby...the search.:hungry: