La Gloria Cubana Tainos (EOG OCT03)

cigardawg

I met a great friend for a smoke today at one of the local tobacconists here in town. Decided to smoke a Tainos, even though I rarely smoke churchill sized cigars. Here are my thoughts:

La Gloria Cubana Tainos (EOG OCT03)

This was a very attractive cigar. The wrapper was a medium-to-dark brown color with a single large vein going down one side. The cigar was well rolled with almost invisible seams, though the triple-flagged cap was a little sloppy. The cigar had a delicate nose, mostly herbal, but with a mild earth and even a citrus/floral note. I clipped it with my Il Corona and was treated to an almost perfect pre-light draw.

I applied the torch to the foot and the cigar lit very easily. The draw stayed right where it was...not too open and not too tight. Just about right. Smoke production was wonderful, with each puff leaving clouds of thick, aromatic smoke lingering in the air about my head. The cigar burned dead even throughout the smoking experience, never requiring a touch-up. The ash was very light gray and very firm. The thick smoke stayed cool down to the nub. A very well constructed cigar.

The abundant smoke was a nice medium-body in strength and taste. It started with some nice herbal flavors backed with some mild earth. As it began to develop, some citrus and even floral notes appeared from time to time, lending some definite interest to this cigar. Near the midpoint and down to the end, the most curious sweet notes would jump up from time to time. The best descriptor that I have for this taste is caramel or butterscotch, but it was fleeting, more of a feeling on the palate. Overall, an herbal/earthy smoke with some interesting citrus/floral notes and this fleeting sweetness.

I enjoyed this cigar. It smoked very well, had interesting tastes...it was very good. Now, the tastes were not necessarilly perfect for my palate, but I recognize them as being very good. My rating, I give it a B+ (87-89).

Fantastic review, Dawg.

I've got a box of OSU JUL01 that are just beautiful and fragrant. Can't wait to dive into them. You've reported exactly the profile I'm expecting from these.

Hal,

If you haven't tried these, please pick up a box or two.

I just wished these came in SLB instead of the dressed boxes. They really deserve better packaging.

Wilkey

Thanks for the review CDawg --very nicely presented..

This is another one of those 'overlooked' cigars (like my favorite, SP Beli) that don't get anywhere near the support or press that the BIG movers get - but that makes them less costly and somewhat easier to pick up with a little age on them. I really enjoy these as a change of pace when their flavor profile is what I'm looking for.. Always found them well constructed and presenting an excellent and distinctive taste..a n excellent value. :-)