Partagas SdC No. 2 (FPG OESU)

cigardawg

As I sit here this evening smoking my Bolivar Belicoso Fino, I think back to the Partagas SdC No. 2 that I smoked with this morning's coffee. Here are my thoughts:

Partagas SdC No. 2 (FPG OESU)

I would love to say that this was a beautiful cigar, but I'd be lying. It had a pretty major vein down one side and was slightly bent in the middle. However, it had a nice medium-brown wrapper with tight seams and a very nicely applied triple cap. The cigar had that typical Partagas nose of earth and peat and wood. That very pleasant "barnyard" smell. The pre-light draw was firm, but acceptable.

As I lit the cigar, I noticed the draw opening right up. A couple of puffs and...perfection. The smoke production was outstanding. In fact, I often find it hard to believe that such a small cigar can produce such billows of rich, thick smoke. As the cigar burned near the mid-point (the bent area), it began to go a little uneven and tunnel a tad. This was a tricky point, because I had to smoke it hard enough to prevent it going out, but not so hard that it burned hot or became bitter. I did it!!! It evened out and the tunneling came under control. The ash was a dark gray and somewhat flakey. The smoke was cool down to a nub. I believe that had it not been bent, the construction would have been superb.

Now, this is a cigar that I smoke for the pure flavor. It is like eating a chocolate desert...it is an absolute treat. The flavors were complex, but not ever-changing. Rich flavors of earth, wood, leather, and cocoa intermingled in differing amounts throughout the smoking experience. There was a smokey and toasty taste on the finish that left me thinking I had just enjoyed an nice Islay scotch. There is just something about this flavor profile that appeals to my palate. It is this blend of flavors that I identify with any Partagas vitola.

The flavors were "roll-your-eyes-back-in-your-head" good. I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar. I would rate it higher if not for the construction issues and the concentration I had to put into it. Even with that, I still rate the Partagas SdC No. 2 an A (92-94).

Very nice review, and a comment. The bent area you referred to is caused by where the cigar was inside the box. They are surrounded with a ribbon, and the bend you refereed to is normally caused by the ribbon placement and the location of the cigar. I usually always enjoy the sweet peppery taste along with the strong earthiness and rich leathery flavors. All three of the Série du Connaisseur's are a stable in my humidor. The thin ring gauge may need to be smoked slowly as you mentioned, but the flavors are surreal!

» Very nice review, and a comment. The bent area you referred to is caused by

» where the cigar was inside the box. They are surrounded with a ribbon, and

» the bend you refereed to is normally caused by the ribbon placement and

» the location of the cigar. I usually always enjoy the sweet peppery taste

» along with the strong earthiness and rich leathery flavors. All three of

» the Série du Connaisseur's are a stable in my humidor. The thin ring gauge

» may need to be smoked slowly as you mentioned, but the flavors are surreal!

Yep, that is what caused the bend. Have noticed it on both the SdC No.1s and No. 2s that I have.

I agree on the tastes as well. These, along with the Lonsdale and the Seleccion Privada No. 1, are my favorite Partagas vitolas. Well, then there is the PC. Oh hell, I really like the Partagas marca.:ok:

Thank you for a great review of a much anticipated vitola I have yet to try. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on some of these!

My plan was to get just a few to try first, but based on this review I may just have to spring for a whole box;-)