Cuaba Generosos

jay8354

Cuaba Generosos

I have to admit that currently I am behind in my contributions to the forum from the workload from my paying job. Unfortunately, as it is with most of us, we need the moola to pay for our expensive hobby. Sometimes, I do wish that I live overseas, since it is cheaper for me to buy as an overseas buyer from CZ. I just love my government to tax me like crazy.

So I thought that I had better rectify the problem now that I have a small moment to catch-up. Before I get to Ken’s state.

This Cigar was a gift from the El Prez, part of the monthly bonus.

This type of vitola is not usually what I smoke, so was interested to see how it would compare to my usual preference of Double Coronas. Unfortunately, this was to be a horrid experience.

I am not sure if El Prez has made the mistake of giving me one of the specials he had reserved for Ken. Otherwise it is just the luck of the draw. But from what I am saying I am sure that you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

Yes, a plugged cigar which was full of promise.

I shall try and recapped what happened.

I actually tried to smoke this cigar last year in around November. The surrounding was a gentleman’s club, for a drink and lunch with a work colleague.

After lunch and settling down with our beers in front of the projector screen, I pulled out the Generoso.

From the initial inspection, the Cuaba Generoso is a fine cigar. Dark oily wrapper, very slight veins. The smell of the cigar reminded me of old leather. There were a few lumps appearing on the cigar but the cigar was springy to the touch in the body, so I was not too concerned.

Using my Xikar cutter, I clip off a bit of the cap. It was a little hard but I thought that it could be just me and the shape of this vitola. Started to light this with a torch lighter.

The Cigar was lighting well but I was having a hard time trying to draw from the cigar. After a few tries, had a look at the cut – the cut show that it was as if I had lanced the cigar with a nail and drawing smoke from the opening.

Thinking that it must be from my lack of experience with this vitola, I decide to cut off a bit more from the cap. That did not help matters either. From what I could see, the tobacco is literally stuck together, forming a 3mm think wall around the cap area. In the centre, I can just barely see the filler in the cigar.

Cutting as close as I dare to the edge of the cap, I managed to get an opening in the middle to keep the cigar burning for awhile. But the draw was still difficult. After awhile (smoked only around 1 inch), with my cheeks hurting and to the amusement of my cigarette smoking work colleague, I just let the cigar go out.

What I managed to taste from the draw, showed me that this cigar has an excellent aroma to it.

If the cigar is burning well, this is a mild cigar with profiles of dark chocolate, coffee. I like what I manage to sample, just the experience was bad.

I have to say that afterwards, I did manage to take the cigar apart and there were another hard spot in the body of the cigar.

Now, do not be put off from this cigar just because I had a bad experience. I have to say that this cigar is great when it is on. This could be just a bad case of luck. I have mentioned that I did like what I could experience in this cigar and I have to admit that I am willing to re-visit this cigar later.

Just ask Rob / Lisa to ensure that you get a great sample, and you will agree this is a very good smoke for an unusual cigar.

Year/Month/Factory* Year Compulsory – Unknown, bonus from Our Favourite Vendor (maybe when they have barcodes implemented, we can get the date codes on the invoices. Just a suggestion)

Construction – 7.5

Wrapper – 8.5

Draw – 2 (Note: for me only on this one cigar!)

Taste - 8

Summary – A great cigar to try for people who has never try this vitola before.

Overall Points out of 100 – 80 (if there are no draw problems)

My experience with the Cuaba line has been that they need several years to develop and IMHO taste good. They are in my opinion a mild, herbal and almost woody flavor type of cigar. Some might say an acquired taste, but I found that when I have smoke them with at least 3 years of age, they are a enjoyable smoke. earlier, they tend to have displayed burn issues and bland muted flavors, the humidor time has made all the difference in the world to me.

Cuaba is one of the marcas that seems to be underappreciated by many. I like the flavour, but many find them too herbaceous or grassy for their tastes.

I'd advise you to keep trying a few different sizes and boxes. I like the Tradicionales best, but the Distinguidos are fantastic smokes of a different breed altogether. I recently tried some Exclusivos from 1998 and they have mellowed and opened up very nicely with age.