Ramon Allones Eminencia Swiss Regional JUN05

This is my first review on the Friends of Habanos Forum...please be gentle.;-)

I was looking at the humidor last Saturday evening trying to figure out what to smoke. Finally, I decided I wanted something a little different. So, I reached in the cabinet and removed one of the Swiss Regional Releases, the Ramon Allones Eminencia. This cigar is the same size/vitola as the Allones Extra, discontinued in the 1970s. The factory where Ramon Allones were originally made was the Eminencia. Thus, the name and vitola.

Ramon Allones Eminencia

This cigar had a light-to-medium brown wrapper on it, displaying just a touch of oiliness. There were a couple of noticable veins, but the seams were tight and the triple-flagged cap was beautifully applied. The pre-light nose was of sweet earth and grass/hay...very pleasant. The pre-light draw was very tight.

The cigar succumbed to the torch quite easily, but the draw remained tight...causing me much concern. Initially, there was very low smoke production and it was hard to discern any flavors. Then, after about 1/2 inch, the draw opened up a bit and smoke production picked up. As I smoked the cigar, it performed better, eventually having an almost perfect draw and producing mouthfuls of billowing smoke. The ash was firm and very light gray in color. This cigar burned very evenly throughout the experience, demonstrating a nice, sharp burn-line. The smoke stayed cool down to the nub. Despite the initial draw problems, a very well constructed cigar.

Initial tastes were earthy with some charred wood undertones. When the cigar began to open up at the 1/2 inch mark, the smoke developed some grassy-creaminess. All of the good flavors still had the edge of youth on them, however. As I continued to smoke this cigar, the toasty tobacco flavors typical of the Ramon Allones profile began to appear. As the half-way mark was reached, the Eminencia had launched fully into the creamy/toasty/grassy Ramon Allones taste. All had the edge of youngness, however, and it became even more so toward to end.

This cigar showed the basic flavor characteristics of the Ramon Allones line (with the exception of the 898, which I find to be unique in the line-up). It was stronger than the Specially Selected, Small Club Corona, and Gigante. I personally believe this cigar will age nicely. For now, I rate it a B+ (88-89) , with potential for reaching A-level in the future.

Interesting. I have a couple of boxes of these in deep sleep. I was going to let them age a few years before I dug into them. What I found the most interesting is a missing element of the Ramon Allones Marca that I have experienced in every vitola I have smoked, which is a fruity, almost citrus type quality to the marca. I have not personally experienced the "Toasty" flavors, I have found that particular type of description in Quai d"Orsay and ERDM before, just not the Ramon Allones marca.

I'll continue to let those that I have sleep some more. The Ramon Allones marca has proven to me, that over time, the flavors develop and taste much better with that age.

»

» I'll continue to let those that I have sleep some more. The Ramon Allones

» marca has proven to me, that over time, the flavors develop and taste much

» better with that age.

I agree and would typically not smoke a cigar as young as this one. Two factors led me to do so. One, I wanted something different and curiosity got the better of me. Two, I only have 6 or 7 of them (box-split) and will not be doing long-term aging.

» flavors typical of the Ramon Allones profile began to appear. As the

» half-way mark was reached, the Eminencia had launched fully into the

» creamy/toasty/grassy Ramon Allones taste. All had the edge of youngness,

» however, and it became even more so toward to end.

»

» This cigar showed the basic flavor characteristics of the Ramon Allones

» line (with the exception of the 898, which I find to be unique in the

» line-up). It was stronger than the Specially Selected, Small Club Corona,

» and Gigante. I personally believe this cigar will age nicely. For now, I

» rate it a B+ (88-89) , with potential for reaching A-level in the

» future.

I found it to be quite mild until the half-way point, but I would not call it stronger than a RASS after that point.

In fact, I couldn't tell it was a Ramon Allones during the 1st half.

» The one thing that i've heard more than anything is that these cigars have

» a tight draw. Almost every review mentions that. Oh well I'll smoke mine

» eventually

It should open up as the tobacco shrinks with age. Not gonna crack the first box until 3years. :-P

Just smoked one of these while cleaning up after the blizzard here...so that’s what that flavor is at the start, grass/hay. I would have just put it as bland but that describes it quite well. Unfortunately mine was a bit plugged the whole way but I did get a bit of citrus and common RA flavor. I can't wait for these to mature in about 3 yrs or more...good thing I ended up with several boxes of these so I can dip in from time to time:-D

• 2 weeks later...