El Rey del Mundo Petit Corona

Tampa1257

ERDM Petit Corona

Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Length: 129mm, 5 1/8 inches

Ring: 42

Vitola: Marevas

Box Coda: NISU VC2 (Dec 1998)

Let me begin by stating that the El Rey del Mundo marca has typically fallen way behind my personal radar because the examples that I have tried before had left me wanting to find a cigar with more flavor. I have never understood what everyone else had seen in the Choix Supreme as it has always been too mild for my palate. I was speaking with Plume not too long ago and our discussion was partly about an issue that he had experienced with the ERDM marca developing over time and with proper age and storage that in his opinion that the ERDM marca actually gained strength. Being the generous person that he is, he sent me an example to smoke. It left such an impression on me, that I needed to write down my experience.

The wrapper had a light medium Colorado hue along with a blimpseless finish. It maintained a nice sheen of oil over the entire cigar. The Band itself looked a bit yellowed from sleeping silently in a humidor untouched during its rest. When I clipped the cigar, the head snapped off crisply. The pre-draw provided a glimpse of what was to come forward while enjoying this cigar; a dry earthiness essence was all I detected. Upon lighting, I was greeted with a medium bodied earthy flavor that was somewhat aromatic and had almost a gingerbread quality to it. I was somewhat surprised to how refreshing the cigar tasted. It also had a mild honey sweetness and subtle cedar background. As the cigar developed mid way, I tasted a mild peppery tone as a compliment to the earthiness. Never harsh or bitter, it was delightful to smoke. The cigar burned perfectly and I could see myself wanting to search out for these for a future purchase. While I am told that younger examples can have a somewhat bitter tone to them, this cigar was far more refined and displayed the finesse of an older cigar. I would rate them a stronger 3/5 as far as strength, and this was probably due to the cigar being a smooth smoke with full flavor the entire time, yet never a harsh taste even toward the nub. This is an excellent cigar with a toasted earthy flavor with hints of gingerbread and pepper in the background.

I would rate this cigar a 5 out of a 6 smoke ring rating system, this is a cigar that other should treat themself to, While not a typical "Classic", this is a excellent cigar.

• Like 1

» ERDM Petit Corona

» Reviewed: February 8, 2006

» Length: 129mm, 5 1/8 inches

» Ring: 42

» Vitola: Marevas

» Box Coda: NISU VC2 (Dec 1998)

»

Thanks for the review Chuck - this is a PC I have not tried and you do make it sound tempting.

Great review Chuck.:clap:

The ERDMPC is one of those ultra variable cigars which can test ones patience. Get a great box and youwill be rewarded. Finding that great box however is not the easiest thing in the world :-|

» Thanks for the review Tampa. Another for the list.

ERdM is one of my favorite brands. They are for me, what Partagás is for Chuck--a go to smoke. Agree that they need time, but what an elegant refined smoke. One of the brands that definitely picks up on intensity with time. By coincidence, I smoked a 98 PC tonight too--agree with Chuck's review, although I didn't get the pepper or the bitterness. I have found the brand to be quite sensitive to "shipping sickness"--have tried several OTT and find they improve dramatically after a month or so in the 'dor.

It's worth noting that Don Candido was actually created by ERdM as a super premium ERdM in the 30s (I believe 34), not as a Dunhill (distributed by Dunhill) as is commonly thought.

» Chuck's review, although I didn't get the pepper or the bitterness.

Brit, good to see you my friend!

As I stated in the review, I had a mild peppery tone toward the mid way point, and that could very well have been what I was detecting as the "gingerbread" quality to the cigar.

It was never harsh or bitter, I only mentioned that I had heard that younger ERDM PC's had that tendency. This cigar was very refined.

Brit has a fine palate and I trust his experience.

Tampa

Thanks for the review. My only experience with ERdM is the two Choix Supremes I have smoked and neither did much for me. Of course, they were both pretty young (1-2 years of box age) which to many around here is sacrilege. I am doing my best to build my stock to the point where that is no longer a problem. Just ordered three boxes from our good ol' Prez last night. :-D

Nice review Tampa. If a friend gave me one I would smoke it too. I agree that the CS is nothing much to write about. The Grandes de Espana is more to my liking. Please do a review of this vitola please. I f you do nothave one, have Rob send you one FOC. Tell him as a new moderator he owa you none.

Thanks for the nice words, Chuck! Gotta hook up next time I get to Tampa.

Privateer--I can't comment on seriously aged ERdM PCs, but I've smoked several boxes of 98 Lunch Clubs and a couple of cabs of 98 PCs. At this stage, I find the Lunch Clubs have more depth and intensity than the PCs, but they're still a wonderful smoke.

• 4 weeks later...

Following my reading of this review, I decided I needed to revisit the ERDM Petite Corona. I had enjoyed earlier ones, so I looked forward to this smoke. Picked one and went to my local tobacconist last Friday afternoon. Thought I would just add my review here instead of starting a new thread.

El Rey Del Mundo Petit Corona (RPO MAR01)

This cigar had a nice milk chocolate colored wrapper. It was from a cabinet of 50, so it was packed in the round. There were no appreciable veins, but the seams were just a little sloppy and rumpled. The triple-flagged cap was well applied and clean. The pre-light nose was of wood and leather with just a bit of a toasty note to it. Nice. I clipped it and tested the draw...perfect. Now I was really looking forward to this smoke.

Lit it up easily and was greeted with huge mouthfuls of smoke. This small cigar was incredibly smokey...each puff pulling billows of thick, rich smoke. Excellent. The burn was very even throughout the first 3/4 of the cigar, only burning uneven at the very end...where it no longer mattered. The ash was dark gray and a bit flakey. The cigar burned cool down to the one-inch mark where it heated up just a bit. Let it rest a tad and it smoked fine down to the nub.

As I took in the initial flavors, it occured to me that I find these considerably more full-bodied than the Choix Supreme or the Tainos. I would even call them to the full side of medium. The flavors were woody and toasty with just a hint of pepper showing up now and again.

That is something new as well...I've never tasted anything like pepper in the Choix Supreme or Tainos.

As the cigar developed, the woody flavors became richer and took on a bit of a toasted/charred taste. The pepper became most pronounced at the midpoint then disappeared altogether. The flavors finished up with a nice charred wood and toasty tobacco flavor.

I enjoy this petite corona. It is a great everyday cigar and can be smoked at almost any time of day. The El Rey del Mundo flavor profile is just not my favorite among the various marcas, so I probably won't rate this as high as others would. For me, this was a steady B+ (87-88) smoke.