Texas Duo Review - Tatuaje T110 Tuxtla

Don’t worry, I didn’t peek. Just skipped over Cody’s to say mine will be delayed. Renaissance fair all day yesterday, and Memorial Day festivities today. I’ll try to get this up later on this afternoon. Meanwhile, hope everyone has a meaningful and enjoyable Memorial Day!

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 6:08 AM, Çnote said:

There's not alot going on but I love what there is. 45m or so of delicious 

I got 1 hour and 35 minutes out of it for our review. But this one didn't blow me away. 

• Thanks 1

Now, for my side of the story. 

This stick has a very smooth, dark chocolate wrapper, a great musty aroma, and the cold draw has some sweet bready flavors to me. Good resistance on the draw.

IMG_4453.jpeg.05c6a4256da7312abd4d9c56c4caf3ba.jpeg

Opening light and first several minutes have quite a bit of black pepper. Not overwhelming, but a lot more forward than I would like. Behind that is a very nice blend of cake bread, coffee, and the tangy aroma of burning oak. Sort of like tiramisu with Cointreau or Grand Marnier. Very syrupy texture and mouthfeel. The pepper seems to be getting stronger going through the first segment, and I’m hoping that will subside. It’s irritatingly in the way, like one of the Black Crowes shows I saw, when I sat behind a very tall couple who stood the whole frickin’ time!

Second third, caramel notes take precedence, although that stupid black pepper is still there on the front, and even lingering on the finish. It’s getting old, alright fella? Burn line and construction are fantastic. Haven’t even ashed at all and it seems to be holding strong.

IMG_4454.jpeg.e22de9736c0d8bdf1c2d4be4593a1e6d.jpeg

Of course, just as I write that…. luckily it landed on the concrete and not my crotch. Finally, pepper has faded, but so too has the caramel. Mostly getting some wood, a medium roast coffee, and a nice warm baked bread. Wish there was some honey here to replace that caramel, or a hint of cocoa. Strength kicks up a notch, around medium-full here. Getting just a little bit of the spins, but that likely has more to do with entertaining my friend Elijah Craig late last night.

Some of that caramel, or maybe light molasses, jumps back in around the midpoint, but I’m still looking for more of it. Cigar isn’t particularly earthy, and also not overly sweet. Having a tough time trying to find out what its intentions are with my daughter, er…. I mean, my palate. The audience of this smoke is definitely not the Habanos-heavy smoker, but it’s also not quite as NC as some NC I’ve had. There is some baking spice present, but not nearly what I prefer, and it sits a little heavier in the tongue and throat than the usual NC’s I smoke,… Viaje, Don Carlos, even Padrón. Strength builds even more as I approach the last third. Probably going to reach for a banana or sweet yogurt after this is over, to counter the nic hit.

In the last act, the mouthfeel is once again nice and syrupy. Baking spice takes a bigger role, although kinda burnt, and some of the woodiness is gone. Still a lot of coffee and flashes of caramel, but once again…. too hot. Also, pepper is back. The end of this is straight-up NC kick ya in the teeth smoke. I don’t usually drink alcohol with a cigar, but this one could stand a bourbon, rye, or rum. Maybe even my own concoction, Ancho Tea. Slightly sweet iced tea with a couple splashes of Ancho Reyes, and a little ground nutmeg. Don’t have any Ancho Reyes or else I’d smack up a glass of it to finish this smoke. 

IMG_4455.jpeg.ffc5828e65f552c92fb06f1bed244167.jpeg

The heat at the end is a little oppressive, kinda like the heat/humidity here in Texas, but there’s some enjoyable flavor still to the end. Getting a little bitter, so I leave about an inch unsmoked. As I stand up, definitely feeling the nicotine. Gonna go inside and reach for a banana. The fruit, that is. Get your mind outta the gutter, @Çnote.

This ended at just over an hour for me. It’s a smoke I would have again, just not really in my wheelhouse to have too often. Gets an 89 from me.

• Thanks 3

23 hours ago, Cigar Surgeon said:

I got 1 hour and 35 minutes out of it for our review. But this one didn't blow me away. 

This didn't blow me away, but it's solid. 

My 45m+ and Jackson's hour-ish are about par for us, your 1.35 is impressive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1