And now, my side of the story:

This is a somewhat plain but nice-looking stick. Slightly bumpy wrapper with a little tooth. On the pale end of peanut butter brown. Good pack with just a little bit of give, more firm under the label and towards the head.

IMG_3563.jpeg.6b9c0a362d19b77c563ea918ac6109a4.jpeg

I went with a V-cut on this one. The cold draw is very nice, with notes of honey, maybe some nutmeg, and barnyard. Light-up puff has a lot of pepper, but there is also some cream and wood, maybe a little dried fruit of some kind.

As the first third gets going, pepper is still right there on each puff, but not overpowering. Hiding right behind the pepper is a warm, woodsy or earthy note that I can’t quite distinguish at first. There is also some prune, and a slightly bitter citrus on the finish. Pepper fades pretty quickly, and doesn’t show much after ten minutes or so, leaving the prune and bitter citrus. Flitting along all of this, only every few puffs or so, is a sort of chocolate hazelnut pudding. Nutella, only not as thick.

IMG_3564.jpeg.f8f6c694d3f782650a6e4fcdc7ad55b9.jpeg

The mouthfeel of this smoke is awesome. Very syrupy, coating the forward palate and the middle of the tongue with that bittersweet citrus. Eventually the chocolate fades away, leaving the hazelnuts but also making room for some sweet baking spices. The smoke output is glorious on this, but the ash is somewhat flaky, falling off in little snippets here and there. Strength all this time has hit me as low to medium, right about where I like it, but with full-bodied flavor, right in your face.

Approaching the second third, some coriander is starting to develop, very likely an evolution of the citrus notes from earlier. Still a heavy dose of prune, too. Around this point I stop retrohaling for just a moment to see what the palate-only puff brings me, and it’s a mix of roasted cashew and crusty toast. Less nutty and fruity on the finish, too. Nice, but not enough for me to stop the retro for long.

IMG_3565.jpeg.72d8b8d85c54968bbb6e83f319a31870.jpeg

The second third transitions away from prune, and now we’re in Coriander Land. Not so much cashew here, but almond does jump into the mix. Some kind of dark sugar is starting to show too, either treacle or molasses. Around the midpoint of the cigar, there is a faint woodsy taste again, like some cedar building. The burn line has been slightly uneven since the second third started, and that continues, requiring several touchups.

IMG_3566.jpeg.3b308880f963dc8f265fb45e302a642b.jpeg

Heading into the last act of this stick, cedar and coriander are still there, but the molasses-like dark sugar begins to coat everything with a nice wash. Some cocoa, too. There’s a sudden burst of medium-roast coffee and toasted graham right near the end. Somewhat reminds me of a Party 898 every few puffs or so, but with a halo of citrus on top. Right before the nub, things are a little muddled and very bitter, mostly dark molasses with hints of fruit but covered in a harsh finish. Kinda wish I had stopped a little bit sooner. 

Good smoke, and I thank Cody for bringing this to the plate for our duo review!

Due to some bitterness in the last third, very flaky ash and wonky burn line, this one sits at about an 86 for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Capn_Jackson said:

No prune for you?

No. No dried fruits. Tons of citrus and cracker / toast, but not really bread or cream or defined sweetness. Texturally, sweet.

At least this time we both got the pepper up front.

I thought this smoked like a textbook El Prez described JL, Cointreau and cake, but you didn't get anything like that....