Ready to Drink - fad?

Bill Hayes

The RTD culture in Australia is pretty big, usually involving whisky, rum, bourbon with cola in cans and drunk by people who don't really care about the taste but more the affect. Lately, the category has evolved to include Seltzers at a lower ABV, bottled and canned cocktails, Imported Asian spirits, Alcoholic lemonade and cordial plus flavoured whisky like peanut butter etc. Having worked on the marketing of some RTD brands, it's interesting to see a distinct change in mindset with a reasonable percentage of a younger audience preferring a lower ABV like 3.5% that's easier to drink. Basically, bubbly lolly water in a cool can so they can stay cool and look good on social media. Probably for the best. Personally, I try to avoid RTD like the plague. Some of the fake flavours just don't work for me. But I dislike Pepsi Max and artificial sugar and pub-mix cola. That being said, some of the RTD cocktails are not too bad IMHO, although can be expensive. I've found that the simple gin and tonic varieties seem to stand up ok with a cigar. I recently tried the latest fad from Suntory - 196 Grape flavour. They also do lemon. Although it didn't do it for me with a cigar, it was a refreshing one-off with lots of ice and a squeeze of lemon on a sunny day. Any thoughts?

IMG_1007.jpg

• Like 1

I'm so far removed from what other people drink or what's the cool thing at the moment, I don't really know how big it is in the states, I do know the hard seltzers thing is still pretty big. I can't even come close to stomaching any of it. My water is flat and just water, my alcohol is either a good craft beer or an old fashioned or summer time vodkas. Some of those fad drinkers that only do it for the drunk, will convert over to appreciate better tasting more quality made drinks but most wont. Now I want a drink, beer or bourbon? Hmmm...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Left RTD behind a long time ago. Four pillars g&t canned and one or two other things I don't mind if a friend hands it to me but I'm not a huge fan of mixed drinks or cocktails anymore anyhow. Somewhere somehow I must've gotten old ;)