Small Wineadors

Baccy

So I want to get a small wineador for all my singles since I have accumulated so many and I currently have them all in individual bags with bovedas in each one. Obviously this is not sustainable in the long term. I've been looking a little bit on amazon, etc. I like this one on amazon but I feel like NewAir is a more well known brand so I may just get a stainless steel NewAir model. What do you guys thing is the best model when it comes to a small wineador?

https://www.amazon.com/KingChii-Heating-Electric-Temperature-Hygrometer/dp/B0BKXS1BP9?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

I have a larger size audew that seems to work pretty well. I removed all but one shelf and play tetris with my boxes. Found that I have to keep it unplugged in order to get it to maintain proper humidity (thus no cooling) as the fan draws air from the outside environment to help cool. If I'm being honest, I would probably just buy a bigger cabinet or endtable type humidor if I had to buy something again. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2023 at 3:31 PM, gormag38 said:

I have a larger size audew that seems to work pretty well. I removed all but one shelf and play tetris with my boxes. Found that I have to keep it unplugged in order to get it to maintain proper humidity (thus no cooling) as the fan draws air from the outside environment to help cool. If I'm being honest, I would probably just buy a bigger cabinet or endtable type humidor if I had to buy something again. 

What kind of humidity control are you using?

• 9 months later...

I live in an apartment without central air. In the summer the house temp ranges wildly. We see temps in the house north of 85 degrees F in the summer. 

I bought a half chest freezer and hooked it up to an ITC 1000-F (https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-ITC-1000F-Temperature-Controller-Fahrenheit/dp/B07R46D44T)

Boxes, singles, and a data logger go inside various Sterilite storage bins with boveda packs of appropriate size in them. The bins go in the chest freezer. The temp controller cycles the chest freezer on and off. For the most part the temperature is within +/- 1deg F of what I tell the temp controller to be in the summer. I think a massive reason this works out so well is the container in a container setup I have going. I wouldn't thing things would be so great if I just put boxes or trays in the chest freezer.

I have often wondered how it would work out if I built a cedar box to go inside the chest freezer. Would that buffer the temp swings within in the freezer as well as my tupperdors seem to be?

I do not have a heating unit in the freezer and just pull the bins out and put them in the house during winter. This is when the bins experience their biggest swings in temp and RH (my wife wants the house at 70 during the day, I want it at 65. Married men know exactly what I'm talking about).

My wife is accepting of the eyesore of the chest freezer largely because I keep it isolated in the single closet I've been allotted for personal storage. I'd like to get some kind of reliable heating in the chest freezer to smooth out the winter swings. Not sure what I'd chuck in the unit to accomplish that as of yet. 

I'm bringing all of this up because the chest freezer and temp controller were very inexpensive, have lasted a number of years now (8-ish years) and minus my total lack of solving the heating issue, seems to be doing pretty alright on the cheap.