Humidor science

eggtimer

Hi All,

Can someone give me a rundown on the humidor science please (talking classic wooden humidor without boveda but with sponge)? I am particularly interested in humidity not flavour. Here is what confuses me:

- Sponge releases water into the air - high temperature means more evaporation so there is not much stability to be found here. If I keep the temp static, I at least know the rate of evaporation. Is that right?

- Cedar (or whatever wood) supposedly regulates the humidity. But what humidity level is that? Does cedar have a particular property that makes the humidity a particular *desirable* range (and what is the range?).

- Once cedar is saturated, wouldn't the sponge evaporation increase the humidity way beyond what is desired? So, if I keep refilling the humidification device, wouldn't there be a point when the humidity has to be too high unless I wait exactly until the sponge is dry and the cedar has lost enough moisture?

- If I am in a very humid climate, seasoning the humidor would prevent it from absorbing the excess moisture in the air?

- How important is the thickness of the cedar veneer wrt the above?

I guess I would love to know what the scientific properties (absorbtion speed, absorbtion%, etc) of cedar are that would make this work (in my experience it works poorly and only within 65 to 75% which might be good enough). Am I the actual humidity regulator if I don't use Boveda's services?

Thanks,

Egg

To answer your question, you must look into a mirror and whisper "Pigfish" three times, then the great porcine one may appear.

Though, if he does appear, set aside 5 hours to understand the answer.

• Like 2

It might be helpful to know what exactly you're trying to achieve and why you don't want to use Boveda packs.  If you're in a climate that's regularly more humid than where you want your cigars then you'll need to focus on removing humidity from the humidor rather than adding it.  Boveda packs can do that well if you dry them out first.

15 hours ago, Michael303 said:

It might be helpful to know what exactly you're trying to achieve and why you don't want to use Boveda packs.  If you're in a climate that's regularly more humid than where you want your cigars then you'll need to focus on removing humidity from the humidor rather than adding it.  Boveda packs can do that well if you dry them out first.

yes, sorry, I should have made that clear.

I am after knowledge. I am trying to understand why on earth I would have a wooden humidor without Boveda these days; it feels like the idea of a sponge plus timber being able to regulate RH sufficiently (this word is debatable) seems like one of those memes that people fell for for like 200 years now. Many years ago, this might have been the best solution.

Now I am trying to understand the mechanism that makes cedar better than other timbers for RH regulation (not interested in all the other mythological properties of cedar).

On 5/1/2023 at 4:04 PM, Fuzz said:

To answer your question, you must look into a mirror and whisper "Pigfish" three times, then the great porcine one may appear.

Though, if he does appear, set aside 5 hours to understand the answer.

@pigfish is the expert. I hope he will see this and have the patience to answer the question. He did generously explain the hygroscopic effect and interplay of RH in environment and cigars; he is a legend!