Just got back from Varadero - my observations on cigar pricing and availability

bluenote

I was in Varadero in February with friends. The local Casa del Habnos selection was limited and quite different from when I was there in November. They were enough to smoke but still less than desirable. A couple of friends and I went into Havana in a cab to visit the Partagas store as one of them was friends with the manager. The timing was great as they had just got a big order in stocking up for the show I suppose. I bought a box of RASS for 411.00 and Partagas e2 for 505.00. I suffered sticker shock but was caught up in the frenzy. A young Chinese buyer bought 55,000 dollars worth of cigars while we were there to bring them back to Hong Kong. He said they were for a very healthy individual who gives them away. I will likely continue visiting Cuba as it is one of the few places where one can smoke cigars in my places without being hassled. I will likely continue to buy cigars when I am there and as a result, retire later :} 

• 2 months later...
On 4/17/2023 at 10:26 AM, bluenote said:

Hey everyone, I just got back from Varadero and wanted to provide some observations.  I stayed at Grand Memories Resort.

I just purchased a dedicated 50 count humidor just for Cubans (I have another 75 count for non-cubans).  I was looking to fill that 50 count with cubans on this trip.  This was my 3rd trip to cuba in the last 12 years, so I'm somewhat familiar with where to go, etc.

Couple of things:  pricing as you know is definitely higher.  However, I live in Toronto, Canada, so pricing is still about 30% less than what I'd find in a local shop in Toronto.  I was looking for regular production cigars (Montecristo No 2, Hoyo de Monterrey, Partagas Serie D or E, etc).  I went to both LCDH's (plaza des americas and calle 63).  

Both LCDH's has terrible inventory, mostly Cohiba's and Trinidad's, which are way above my budget.  No Montecristo No 2's anywhere.  I did buy some Hoyo de monterrey rio secos at the LCDH.  price was about $23USD per stick.  (in toronto about $55 CAD per stick).

However, I did half of my shopping at the gift shop at the hotel.  They had a dedicated walk-in humidor.  I sampled their cigars throughout the week, and they were legit.  Pricing was basically on par with LCDH and the gov pricelist.  And, their selection was better than both LCDH's.

I bought:

12 Partagas Serie E no 2 (hotel)

12 h upmann magnum 46 (hotel)

10 hoyo de monterrey rio secos (LCDH)

9 Montecristo Edmondo's (LCDH)

3 hoyo de monterrey especial (hotel)

5 hoyo de monterrey half corona (small cigar, at LCDH)

on average, each stick was about $21-$24 USD.  Still a pretty good savings vs the pricing in toronto.

Also, the selection at the airport was awful.  Mostly Guantanamero's and cohibas/Trinidads. Nothing else.

I'm noticing though, that at each of the 3 hotels I've stayed at for my past 3 trips, they have a good selection, and a good walk in humidor.  It's almost not worth going to the LCDH's.  (Plus, I find the ladies at both locations are not very friendly or helpful)

Just wanted to share my observations.  At the rate I smoke, these will last me 3-4 years (I only smoke about 1 per week during summer, and I use my cubans as a special treat, so may have 1 cuban every few weeks)

hope the above is helpful to anyone planning a trip to cuba.

Which hotels in Varadero have the decent selection.  I mostly shopped at the LCDH at plaza in the past and that did not have great selection when I was there in April.