Advice on New Humidor

CyrusTheOk

Hi guys looking for your thoughts on a new humidor fairly new to this and never had access to a group before with so much knowledge.  

Looking for a large unit like a Raching MON3800, some Alibaba clone or converting my closet in the cigar room to a humidor.  I would definitely do the last one but I don't plan on staying in this place for more than 3-4 years.  It would give me the space I need for the collection I want but I worry about temperature fluctuations and the ability to control the temperature in case I decide to turn on the space heater in cigar lounge.  Closet is around 2.5 x 6 feet.  Also I feel I would lose the money put in but doubt the Raching or other device would last more than 3-4 years either.  

Current set up: 2 Whynter 451 filled and overflowing tuberware coolers and more LOL.  

While I don't have any experience with converting closets to walk in humidors; if you're only staying in your house for another 3-4 years I wouldn't suggest that. It would be such a niche thing that someone buying your current home would want; in most cases I feel it would potentially throw off potential buyers. 

As for the Raching, I've only ever heard great things about the cabinets themselves. Not so sure about the model with the ammonia removal system (which I believe is the MON3800). So long as you don't outgrow it, my guess is it would last you well over 3-4 years. Personally I would go this route over the build in. Now if you were in your 'forever home' then I would highly suggest converting your closet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since jumping into this hobby I’ve been thru 4 different humidors, for no other reason other than space…current setup is a NewAir 1500 count humidor: excellent construction and tick steady temp/humidity once seasoned.