First Time build: Desktop Mahogany Humidor

etout00

Wow that is pretty amazing work.  Nothing to constructively criticize, not only because I'm not an expert, but that is a brilliant looking piece. It's obvious you're a person of detail.

Do you plan to make more for yourself?  For sale?  I love the romanticism of desktop humis even though not cost effective for a larger collection essentially. I'd opt for few humongous wooden humis for my boxes if it was feasible and affordable.

Beautiful.

I'd love to retire with a workshop, some tools, a bunch of wood and some skills. But alas I'm not a practical man at all. Never been good with hardware.

Would love to see some of the construction phase next time though! How dare you deprive us! That's my only criticism.

21 hours ago, ha_banos said:

Beautiful.

I'd love to retire with a workshop, some tools, a bunch of wood and some skills. But alas I'm not a practical man at all. Never been good with hardware.

Would love to see some of the construction phase next time though! How dare you deprive us! That's my only criticism.

Perhaps I’ll make another…I might have some more pics from the construction of this one though 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2023 at 9:51 AM, Popof4 said:

Wow that is pretty amazing work.  Nothing to constructively criticize, not only because I'm not an expert, but that is a brilliant looking piece. It's obvious you're a person of detail.

Do you plan to make more for yourself?  For sale?  I love the romanticism of desktop humis even though not cost effective for a larger collection essentially. I'd opt for few humongous wooden humis for my boxes if it was feasible and affordable.

I was playing around with the idea of making some to sell perhaps…but honestly I put so many hrs into building this one for myself, to sell it I’d be the equivalent of paying myself around $10/hr…lol. 

I must admit though…the aroma of the solid Spanish cedar when opening the lid is unlike any store bought humidor I’ve ever experienced.

I have a NewAir 1500 humidor and only built this desktop one as an experiment. I’m still closely monitoring the humidity control and will make improvements if needed on the next one I build. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/19/2023 at 5:00 PM, tywindsor44 said:

This is incredible. True craftsmanship is hard to find now a days. Looks sweet man well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, very much appreciated 

On 3/20/2023 at 7:32 AM, hawkeye5050 said:

Looks great! Great hinge and lip/seal work. Wish I had those skills.

I learned everything from YouTube university, haha…thanks 

• 7 months later...

Looks awesome. I was thinking that maybe trying to build some as a hobby - can you tell me the relative cost for the needed tools and materials? Like anything, things can be as expensive as you want them to be  - just thinking of a rough guesstimate.