H. Upmann Magnum 54 - GOB FEB 20 (JBWRW)

Picked up a 10 box at a good price when I first started exploring Cubans but never got around to trying one, so this box has been resting for over 8 months now untouched. This particular one feels lighter than the others on the top row so it may be a bit underfilled, and I'll have to try a few more before really deciding how I feel about the vitola.

First third: opens with a nice creamy shortbread and milky coffee. Caramelized sugar cookie appears halfway through as well.

Middle third: not much change, surprisingly, just continues on chugging with the same flavors.

Last third: most of the flavors start to fade out and leave behind only shortbread cookie through to the end.

Overall: I can see why this one tends to go unloved in the Upmann lineup. There really wasn't much to say about it. It reminded me of the HUHC, with the same basic Upmann flavors and the same lack of complexity or evolution, but stretched over an hour+ long smoke. 85/100

image.png.fd47e523896f4f326ec638503c10d5e9.png

image.png.abb3198a774056f78d2381663898132b.png

image.png.e9e015a91758174faff51b926fa37e94.png

• Like 3

Nice review

I like the Magnums, but prefer the Magnum 50 best.

I don't really care about complexity much. As long as I like the taste, I don't mind if that sole tastes lasts for the duration of the smoke

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Neither do I, but I find the HUHC flavor a bit boring (though supposedly that'll improve with age), so having a bigger version of it was not exciting. I would say the Magnum 50 is complex, and I'm a big fan of it too.

Early on, I had asked in a thread about Upmann about the differences between the Connie and the Magnum lines, and someone mentioned that the Magnums have nothing in common with each other. That was an understatement.