Partagas Serie D Reserva Pics

beautiful as far as presentation goes...well worth the coin for this reason alone, simply stunning !!

ive heard a few say the smokes arent all that in terms of quality and others say they are....my wallet tells me too age my psd4 and hope for the best but then i guess i still wont have them fancy black bands and box....nor the sexy black velvet sock the box come in..

» » I can't win....show the pics before I sold them and I am

» "shilling"...after

» » and I am a DT :lol2:

»

» Fabulous pictures.

Are they really worth theprice tag that comes along with them? or woulsd it be better to get 3-4 boxes of PSD4s?

Here is the review I wrote for VCC, as you can tell, I liked it a lot.

Partagas Series D No.4 Reserva

Orgin: Cuba

Box: #1446/5000

Size: 4 7/8 X 50

Well, I had an opportunity to fire one up this afternoon at my sister-in-law’s 40th birthday party. It was mid 80’s, a little on the humid side and extremely over cast. At one point I knew I had to fire it up or get soaked while smoking it.

So I began. Here are my conclusions.

Construction: Excellent. It was firm and had a nice resilience to it when squeezed. Definitely not under filled which seems to be the response to the draw problems of the past.

Wrapper: A medium to dark caramel with the tinest of veins. An occasional medium sized vein running lengthwise.

Pre-draw: Perfect with excellent tobacco flavors

Burn: Near perfect. I had to touch up towards the mid point but keep in mind I have only had these a couple of days.

Ash: Color was a medium-dark graphite with touches of black. There were noticeable white/cream colors specks like salt dancing on the outer most layers of the ash.

Flavors: I couldn’t really break this down into thirds like I usually like to do. While it was not an EXTREMELY complex smoke with each draw, the flavors changed around a lot. So I will try my best.

Started out with touches of floral notes and a blast of creamy vanilla for the first 2 draws. Then the typical Partagas profile with earth, leather and spice wrapped in an excellent aged/smooth tobacco flavor w/ an excellent twang. Approaching the first third there was a lot of cedary woodiness and dashes of white chocolate almond amaretto type of flavor. The latter didn’t last long but was very good. I would classify it as medium+ in body. There were tons of fairly rich smoke through the entire stick. My only complaint was it turned a little flat approaching the nub (about 1” from the end). Excellent aged tobacco flavor from beginning to end.

Conclusion: An EXCELLENT smoke. They hit the nail on the head with this vitola. Perfect…well almost. Read on. It is definitely an elegant & smooth smoke that delivers a ton of flavors wrapped in a medium thick smoke with great aged tobacco flavor. I would go as far to say that these beat out my two favorites, the Monte Millennium and Cohiba Reserva Piramides. I don’t know why but that’s the term that grabs me when I smoke these three smokes is sophisticated (and/or elegance).

Is it worth $7+ more per smoke compared to the Monte Mill? Having smoked jars of Monte Mills...maybe. But I can only speculate that if the cornucopia of flavors marry and become more complex with age, that this could be the best non-regular production cigar ever made. I know, that's a tall order so keep in mind there the overall experience of the reviewer (1 ISOM/day on average for 2+ years).

To pay and extra $6+ (comparatively) now to smoke is probably not worth it but give it another 3 years and who knows…

I can't wait to see how others chime in on these.

Enjoy!

~Mark

• 3 years later...