Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No. 4 POU AGO 13 (RJE4RW)

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

I felt compelled to dig out one of my favorite RyJs after reading @CptGoodTimes's review. Unfortunately it sounds like his was not a great experience, but POU 13, along with MUL 14, has been my favorite vintage for the Ex4. This is the only RyJ where I'm not looking for any rosado in the wrapper. I like them best with a pale, light colorado color, which is exactly what this one has. There's almost no cold aroma at all, just a slight papery note. Judging by appearance and aroma, this box would be passed over for sure.

It ignites well and produces a perfectly firm draw and a flaky gray ash.

IMG_20190908_195038.thumb.jpg.7b06d59ae67a21889a041b3744a6b0be.jpg

The very first draw coats the palate with a savory sour cherry flavor. There is a bit of pine wood beneath. Those flavors build in depth through the first inch.

After the first third, the wood flavor takes on some character, becoming something more than the initial cardboard/pine base.

Past the midpoint is where the Exhibicion No. 4 really begins to shine. The retrohale produces an absolutely wonderful combination of sour cherry, sweet wood, sea salt, and truffle oil. Just a bit of white pepper appears in the aroma.

The finish is remarkably cool and pleasant. These are easily the best Exhibicion No. 4 I've had since the late '90s. 

For me, it's an easy 94 points.