Brazilian cigars

After hearing about the Brazilian government trying to stop Cohiba sales I thought I'd take a look at some domestic Brazilian cigars. Wondering if any of you have tried them? What are your thoughts?

A friend brought me a little sampler.

IMG_20190711_193649.jpg

• Like 1

The first one is a Dannemann Artist Line, imo the best brazilian, much better than most NC I've smoked and on par with some cubans. It's a truly great cigar, but it's very expensive. The second one is a Dona Flor, a good cigar but nothing special, it's cheap. The green label I've never seen...

• Like 1

In fact it really depend on the marca, for example dannemann it's darker in flavour, drier in mouth, could be compared to a really  good Nicaraguan, in Cubans  remind a little the Bolivar rc, then you have Alonso Menendez  that is milder more to a Dominican, and you have Monte Pascal that is sweeter and I never had a sweeter cigar, some people say it's like smoking a mango leaf ?

9 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I haven't had enough brazilian puro.  However for those that have, how would you compare the flavour characters as opposed to Nic and Dom?

Brazilian tobacco is distinct. Mata Fina, Mata Norte, Mata Sul, Arapiraca, Sumatra (grown in Brazil), and Mata Sao Goncalo.

Mata Fina is the most widely used, and I'm a big fan. Gives you a stewed fig, or stewed raisin flavor and chewiness.

• Like 1

I haven't seen a Puros Indios for a few years.  They were somewhat popular in the late 90s/early 2000s. I never cared for them.  They did make an 18" cigar called "The Chief".  If memory serves, I think Puros Indios was a Honduran tobacco blend and not Brazilian.  But..my memory of those is going back 20 years or thereabouts.

• Like 1

Interesting comments! I tried the dannemann first. Extremely good construction and burn. I agree with your comments Orito about the experience (drier in mouth). I found the flavors to be a bit one dimensional, but had a strong kick.

15 hours ago, In-A-Gadda-Davidoff said:

I haven't seen a Puros Indios for a few years.  They were somewhat popular in the late 90s/early 2000s. I never cared for them.  They did make an 18" cigar called "The Chief".  If memory serves, I think Puros Indios was a Honduran tobacco blend and not Brazilian.  But..my memory of those is going back 20 years or thereabouts.

That's my overwhelming memory from Indios too, I think they are still knocking about if anyone fancies a baseball bat to smoke!

• Like 1