wild turkey - masters keep

Ken Gargett

wondering if some of our bourbon aficionados had thoughts on the Wild Turkey Masters Keep series. just about to look at what i gather is the third in the series, the '1894'. bizarrely, to me at least, that one is only available in Australia (apparently Australia is Wild Turkey's largest export market - who knew?). but there are others.

also about to look at Revival. don't know anything about it. 

34 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

wondering if some of our bourbon aficionados had thoughts on the Wild Turkey Masters Keep series. just about to look at what i gather is the third in the series, the '1894'. bizarrely, to me at least, that one is only available in Australia (apparently Australia is Wild Turkey's largest export market - who knew?). but there are others.

also about to look at Revival. don't know anything about it. 

Ken, as I understand it 1894 was proofed down to 90 to circumvent Australia’s liquor taxes as best it could. Honestly the reviews I’ve seen haven’t been great but I’ve never tried it.

The original MK was supposedly barrel proof despite that proof being so low. At 17 years it’s a pretty oaky bourbon, and it’s been pretty divisive among WT fans for that reason.  I love the complexity and mouthfeel and I don’t think it’s overwhelmed by the wood.  But as I said, divisive.

Decades has proved more popular, not surprisingly given the higher proof and more balanced presentation.  Im a fan - I don’t think it rivals the great dusty Gobblers of the pre-2004 era ( most commonly great in the 80s and 90s) but a really solid modern Turkey.  Again very complex, with signature WT forest floor and deep vanilla notes, but also some interesting dried fruit and sandalwood.  It also drinks below its proof for me.

As for Revival, it’s never gotten affordable in Japan so I haven’t tried it yet but again, the reviews have generally been positive.  I’ve seen many call it the finest finished bourbon they’ve tried.  

Incidentally, the next Master’s Keep release is going to be Cornerstone, a cask strength rye aged (by rumor) 11-12 years.  I’m very, very excited to try that one.

1 minute ago, Deeg said:

Ken, as I understand it 1894 was proofed down to 90 to circumvent Australia’s liquor taxes as best it could. Honestly the reviews I’ve seen haven’t been great but I’ve never tried it.

The original MK was supposedly barrel proof despite that proof being so low. At 17 years it’s a pretty oaky bourbon, and it’s been pretty divisive among WT fans for that reason.  I love the complexity and mouthfeel and I don’t think it’s overwhelmed by the wood.  But as I said, divisive.

Decades has proved more popular, not surprisingly given the higher proof and more balanced presentation.  Im a fan - I don’t think it rivals the great dusty Gobblers of the pre-2004 era ( most commonly great in the 80s and 90s) but a really solid modern Turkey.  Again very complex, with signature WT forest floor and deep vanilla notes, but also some interesting dried fruit and sandalwood.  It also drinks below its proof for me.

As for Revival, it’s never gotten affordable in Japan so I haven’t tried it yet but again, the reviews have generally been positive.  I’ve seen many call it the finest finished bourbon they’ve tried.  

Incidentally, the next Master’s Keep release is going to be Cornerstone, a cask strength rye aged (by rumor) 11-12 years.  I’m very, very excited to try that one.

many thanks for that. very much appreciated.

the evening's work will be tasting those couple of WTs, some Michters including the 10 Year Old which i am excited about, some Sullivans Cove, a grabbag of Scottish and Irish, including a heap of different Glenfarclas back to the 40 Year Old. so i figure i might need a cigar after all that. but it is all work. 

• Like 1

Damn, the grind...

Michter’s 10 (bourbon) has been on a downward trend these past few years, but the 2018 was reportedly a huge return to form.  I’m also a big fan on their single barrel cask strength rye.  It’s contract distilled for them and really benefits from the low entry proof.

1 minute ago, Deeg said:

Damn, the grind...

Michter’s 10 (bourbon) has been on a downward trend these past few years, but the 2018 was reportedly a huge return to form.  I’m also a big fan on their single barrel cask strength rye.  It’s contract distilled for them and really benefits from the low entry proof.

the Rye would be on tonight's list, except i have recently done it. loved it. interesting to hear that about the 10. everything i have heard lately has been very positive and i am really looking forward to it. 

1 hour ago, Deeg said:

thought the 1864 was acceptable, ditto the Michters 10 year old (better than acceptable to be fair) but that revival is just wow!! 

42 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

thought the 1864 was acceptable, ditto the Michters 10 year old (better than acceptable to be fair) but that revival is just wow!! 

Yeah, I really have to try and track down a bottle of that.  There's a lot of resistance to finished whiskey in the bourbon world, but when done right I think it can be great.

I'm guessing it would be tough to find down there, but keep an eye out for the Joseph Magnus "Cigar Blend".  It's finished in oloroso, cognac and armagnac barrels.

1 minute ago, Deeg said:

Yeah, I really have to try and track down a bottle of that.  There's a lot of resistance to finished whiskey in the bourbon world, but when done right I think it can be great.

I'm guessing it would be tough to find down there, but keep an eye out for the Joseph Magnus "Cigar Blend".  It's finished in oloroso, cognac and armagnac barrels.

will do. have not seen it but who knows.

still thinking (and tasting) that Revival. it will do me. 

I love WT Revival and was able to enjoy some on Sunday. If the price was lower, I’d enjoy it more often. You can read all about the flavor profile and the finish in the hundreds of reviews online. The only thing I will add is if you’re not too experienced with finished bourbons, try this more than once on separate occasions.
I wasn’t a huge fan the first time I had some. I felt the oak flavor was too pronounced. Now I save it for special occasions because of its uniqueness and slight candied fruit flavor which I enjoy.

88b2b10adab69a90db8c95e922eaa042.jpg