Chanceschmerr Sails the World - Salalah/Muscat, Oman!

1 hour ago, nino said:

Older post from from some years ago and in German but some nice pics of the LCDH Muscat here.

Enjoy Chris !

http://flyingcigar.de/flying-cigars/200711-muskat-shangri-la-lch-und-harleys/

Thank you Nino - looks like a wonderful town to visit and a well-stocked LCDH.  Can't wait to go!

I hope you're keeping well, mate!

Hey Chris,

hope you’re enjoying your time in Oman!

I’m currently in Spain, arrived inn Mallorca yesterday. Finally the sun is out again, spring is in full swing but the evenings still get a bit chilly.

Today I had time to kick back, relax and enjoy the RA Canada ER that you gifted me when we met last in the Seychelles.

Love the format, tons of smoke but well rounded with the age on it! Thanks again!

Smooth sailing for you! Let me know when you head to Japan, I don’t know when I get back but I might be around when you get there!

26129BDE-C200-494E-A3C8-45151C2697B4.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, SokaKiel said:

Hey Chris,

hope you’re enjoying your time in Oman!

I’m currently in Spain, arrived inn Mallorca yesterday. Finally the sun is out again, spring is in full swing but the evenings still get a bit chilly.

Today I had time to kick back, relax and enjoy the RA Canada ER that you gifted me when we met last in the Seychelles.

Love the format, tons of smoke but well rounded with the age on it! Thanks again!

Smooth sailing for you! Let me know when you head to Japan, I don’t know when I get back but I might be around when you get there!

26129BDE-C200-494E-A3C8-45151C2697B4.jpeg

Hey, I'm glad you enjoyed it mate!  Super Ramon is a really great cigar - The size is big without being unwieldy, and the blend was done really well.  That, and everything is better in Majorca :D

Thank you, I will let you know the details, the plan is almost firmed up now!

20 hours ago, almudawi said:

Come on Chris! You've reached the region. Drop by Bahrain to visit your good ol mate Moe!

Moe, if I could I would mate!  I was very much hoping for a Bahrain port visit but it never materialized.  I even brought my Bahraini Dinars with me!

I do have my couple of nights in Dubai coming up - think you could hop over for a cigar? LOL!

A very nice time in Muscat!

I did some more Middle Eastern Souq shopping for Frankincense, enjoyed my haggling experiences for various items, and made my way to the LCDH Muscat.  Not bad as LCDHs go, with a good selection of regular production and a few LCDH and LE cigars.  I was disappointed to not find any aged or rare cigars at all, nor any RE's save for some Bolivar Emirati RE '15s.  That said - I bought one of the Emiratis and was pleasantly surprised how much these have come on - if you have a box, give one a sample, they are very good now!  Prices were a little higher than I expected as well.  In any case, fingers crossed for better pickings in Dubai!

I also tried a LGC Inmensa from the store, havn't had one in a long while, and it was decent.  Nothing to write home about too much.124165931_LGCMuscat.thumb.jpeg.af65c8a82512c8154a137e5e82542094.jpeg

The star of my visit was one I brought myself - my one and only 1998 Trinidad Fundadores Original Release, from a trade way back when with @khomeinist.  I have been saving it for a long while and I brought it with me on this trip to smoke at an opportune time, and I was not disappointed.  A remarkably complex and flavourful journey with that cigar.  21 years and it hasn't lost a step.  Phenomenal.  Thanks again, mate!

2118974981_TriniMuscat.thumb.jpeg.64d25679d69db9a0bd383a25cbcd5813.jpeg

Now back to sea, with Dubai in my future....can't wait!

• Like 3

Ah, what a lovely part of the world.  My father worked for the Royal Oman Police, flying helis out of Seeb, from 1980 - 95; many many happy school holidays spent on the SAF (Sultan's Armed Forces) beach in the '80s, sailing our guts out on Hobies every day.  

My brother took his family there a couple of years ago, said it was nearly unrecognisable since we were last there.  Clear memories of the labyrinthine souk, the Corniche, the old Portuguese forts and the ancient graffiti, and the beautiful and gentle people.  

CANNOT understand the attraction of Dubai, with this gem so nearby.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Philski said:

Ah, what a lovely part of the world.  My father worked for the Royal Oman Police, flying helis out of Seeb, from 1980 - 95; many many happy school holidays spent on the SAF (Sultan's Armed Forces) beach in the '80s, sailing our guts out on Hobies every day.  

My brother took his family there a couple of years ago, said it was nearly unrecognisable since we were last there.  Clear memories of the labyrinthine souk, the Corniche, the old Portuguese forts and the ancient graffiti, and the beautiful and gentle people.  

Have only been to Dubai. Are the other Emirates worth visiting? I've thought about Abu Dhabi since it's such a short ride. I really want to see the Grand Prix and the new Louvre there. But I have yet to venture out of Dubai

14 hours ago, Philski said:

Very nice! Makes me miss my youth summers sailing in Albacores and 420s in the sea cadets.  Feels like forever since i took a small boat out sailing!

To be clear - I did enjoy both Omani port visits, Muscat was a great experience that I'd gladly do again.  The only thing I think Dubai has up on it is the selection of cigars at the LCDH!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2019 at 6:26 AM, Derboesekoenig said:

Have only been to Dubai. Are the other Emirates worth visiting? I've thought about Abu Dhabi since it's such a short ride. I really want to see the Grand Prix and the new Louvre there. But I have yet to venture out of Dubai

Not sure.  If it's thrills and spills you're after, Oman might be a bit too quiet for you