Booze run

1 hour ago, MD Puffer said:

Taste-wise, how does tequila differ from Mezcal? @kevpro mentioned Casamigos but I thought that was Mexcal- unless they also make a tequila?

Mezcal is smoked agave and usually higher %. I like it, but for someone that has not had many drinks in awhile, it will most likely have a taste that is reminesint of used band-aid. It takes some palete adjusting. Same with laphroaig scotch. Someone that is used to smoked barley is going to get more pleasant flavors than someone who is just trying it for the first time. Yes I'd stick with tequilla and work your way up. Much like if you have not had a cigar in a month due to cold, probably best to start with a Fonseca instead of a partagas short, and rebuild your retrohale/palete tolerance before delving into anything with heavy ligero or seco.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, Derboesekoenig said:

But. But your name :rotfl:

I love rum, but Kraken is disgusting to me. I do like the sound of the plantation one though

Haha you caught me! I do enjoy the Kavalan Sherry cask but now I've discovered the Dark rum combo I've moved away from whisky pairings.  Definitely try the Pineapple plantation its so refreshing in the summer and personally I think it's a great summer bbq drink! Also like how Rum is a lot cheaper than whisky ?

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as how I won a FOHnies for this, I'd be remiss if I left it unfinished.  The booze run was a success.  It was less than a three hour drive and the solo day trip was as much of a reason for going as the booze.  My boy is a month shy of two and for two years the furthest I've driven is an hour away to visit my parents.  That child is demanding!

Here's the haul:

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATIwMTAwAC0wMzJjLWI5MzktMDACLTAwCgBGAAAD3oBlOuEk1E6PYr7v3CDkAgcAPGyNfyAK%2FEOl20RGs%2FuDpAAAAgEMAAAAPGyNfyAK%2FEOl20RGs%2FuDpAACiUf16gAAAAESABAAvkitGUFoOUSroXleJDZgeA%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=2019042903.09&isc=1&X-OWA-CANARY=zW9zDZc9QUyhB6Uwt_DaysBeRVpn09YYsOdKodCCgw2L4UtwLo_XjJXpSlU3mrEbplLJW0q5S18.&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjA2MDBGOUY2NzQ2MjA3MzdFNzM0MDRFMjg3QzQ1QTgxOENCN0NFQjgiLCJ4NXQiOiJCZ0Q1OW5SaUJ6Zm5OQVRpaDhSYWdZeTN6cmciLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QifQ.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.oPOPvfE0V7mwohaXy062QP-VNPCFrcTYSUCNhiFJcEZuZOO7-vClC289HcDU2ehSzc-swxXeoMWdRtEuzbo_Y8XYyTZL5QUb4HfNTLcxjmbAx1JSvTQXZ8a5lCnqTPvImFqmsztoMl3q-j4rMOSbBLV0L2LmTV6LxfO8kHd3YeU9mEdkdJwWtNpObtyts4f-ndEfKJgEst1Uvuf271EJJKOuShv6Q0ZhASOAUGb2tksnWsZGSvrRETygjKAvm-OVnwXg8jgCO7PHBZ2qyEmlRdp1KwtPNPnN6F9wK9Mv3OC4pci1If2NQZDZeGP3_JPWJyhOuHSsK4meKktBWXyRjA&animation=true

A bottle of moscato, a bunch of single serving sparkling whites, Appleton 12yo, apfelkorn, calvados, elderflower liquer, Brady's Irish cream, horchata and Rumchata, Cazul 100 anejo, Chambord, Don Julio reposado, Frangelico, Galliano, Grand Marnier, Jonah's Curse black spiced rum, Kahlua, Kavanaugh Irish Cream, amaretto, Kraken black spiced rum, Luxardo maraschino liqueur, Mathilde framboise, Midori, chocolate liqueur, butterscotch schnapps, apricot brandy, Rumple Minze, Creme de menthe, Weihenstephaner heffe weissbier, and Luksusowa vodka.  

Despite this, we're really not big drinkers- a cocktail or two weekly.  This was an attempt to broaden our repertoire of cocktails we make at home (screwdrivers, Cape Cods, margaritas, mimosas, and mojitos.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to break open my Bartender's Bible yet.  We left for Denver the morning after I got back.  Grandma took care of the boy and we were young and free again- for a few days.  I bought some tiny bottles specifically for the trip.  The TSA allows you to bring as many tiny bottles that you can fit in a quart sized zip loc bag.  One might interpret that as meaning you can drink said bottles while aboard the aircraft.  As I was disposing of a couple of these empty bottles, I was advised that it was a violation of federal law to drink your own booze on the plane.  But it's okay to purchase and consume United's booze.  Luckily, I was born with the innate ability to lie and bullshit without so much as the slightest fluctuation in heart rate or pupillary response.  So I casually informed the irked steward they were consumed in the terminal and I appreciated him throwing my trash away for me.  The take away?  First, this drink called "horchata" is delicious.  Part cocktail, part desert.  It was therapeutic to be honest.  Going with the grab bag approach, the next thing I pulled out was the Kraken black spiced rum.  Wow... not at all what I was expecting and every bit of it was welcome.  Delicious and smooth.  Now that we're back, I intend on dabbling in the world of mixology- just as soon as I find out what kind of magic my attorney can conjure up to reclaim my some of my ridiculous 2018 tax burden.  

The trip to Denver was great.  We love to exercate on our trips (portmanteau of exercise and vacation-  I'm heavily involved in the underground neologism movement).  We found a quiet AirBnB in LoHi and walked countless neighborhoods after a fresh snow fall (we didn't really get any snow this past winter in Alabama, so it was a nice change).  The neighborhoods are very quiet up in Denver (or at least where we were).  I suspect everyone is smoking high grade cannabis at home binge watching GoT.  It was our first experience with AirBnB and it was great.  As was our first experience with Uber.  Far more responsive and efficient than any taxi I'd ever taken.

Now we're full circle.  And since the boy has recently capitulated and now allows Mama and Daddy to brush his teeth without putting up a fight, I think I'll have the energy to not only whip up some cocktails but to post how they pair with a a cigar review!  Hope you all have a great week!