FOH Xmas & New Year Review Comp 2018: PLPC AME MAY 13

PLPC's are just about my favorite cigar out there and I tend to agree with many others out there that they really shine after they have had a nap.  Having recently sampled one from an EML 2014 box, I thought last night would be a great opportunity to try one with an extra year of age.  I thought the EML was just starting to come about.  How would the 2013 AME be?

Prelight:  Intoxicating.  Fruity and earthy.  One thing I have started to notice is if cigars have some cherry and berry overtones at prelight, it can manifest into harsher more youthful flavors in the second half.  It happened recently with my Allones Silver Jubilee that smelled like a cherries jubilee but was a bit youthful on the back end.  I would have been surprised if a 2013 PLPC was still youthful.  

First half: Lovely.  Mellow.  Easy draw and very twangy.  While my 2014 EML had started to turn into the caramel apple, this one was just apple.  That said, I enjoyed how complex it was.

Second half: Still youthful.  Not harsh.  Just youthful.  A bit of the sweeter profile starting to enter.  Toast and cedar.  A very pleasant cigar.

I'm excited to see where the rest of these go in the next year or so.  There is great complexity in these sticks and time does seem to do them quite well - they are among my favorite sticks to age on the longer end.  I sampled two bourbons with this cigar.  The 1792 single barrel which was fine if somewhat indistinct and the EH Taylor Bonded which I loved.  The Taylor is sort of an interesting beast in the Buffalo Trace line.  I quite enjoyed it and went very well with a cigar.

it.  IMG_1068.thumb.jpg.6cf800415dbb155a30ee2b747502e30a.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, crking3 said:

I tend to be in the minority that thinks these actually lose their sweetness/caramel by around 5-6 years.......I’ve had plpc from a wide range of age marks and I find them best around 2-3 years ....I kno the vast majority of ppl will say they need more time 5-7 years and will be “caramel bombs” but I disagree....very good cigar nonetheless and great review !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great assessment and I will actually try one from my 2016 box and see how that one’s doing.