Can't get RH down to 65

Winter in Taiwan is humid! Average RH is 85% and since it is not hot enough for AC our house is running about 71% RH.

I've got two humidors and one larger storeador, the storeador has 8 mostly full boxes (say 175 sticks) and 4 60 gram 65% boveda's. The RH fluctuates like mad. The storeador is one of the sealed jobs and seems to seal as well or better than a humidor. Now I'm no greenhorn to cigar storage. Back in the JRBB, Herfers Paradise, and pre-marriage heyday I had two coolerdors with well over 1000 sticks using florist foam and 50/50 pg h2o. RH was measured with a Radio Shack humidistat that was popular in the late 90's. These were in the basement of my home in Portland OR where it was rarely over 50% RH. Yeah it is wet in Portland fall winter and spring, but with the heat always on the RH stayed low.

Ideas?

5 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Boveda out, beads in. 

Temp?

Average temp is about 72F

22 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Is 72 pretty stable or does it fluctuate considerably? If stable, it would be bizarre that your RH should fluctuate a bunch.

It's somewhat stable. Weather in Taichung is all over the place this time of year. We'll have a week of sun and cool (by Taiwan standards) 16 - 24 c, followed by a week of rain. While our home is very nice by Taiwan standards the climate control doesn't do automatic well. So this means the temp probably fluctuating between 21 - 24 c.

3 hours ago, shlomo said:

Boveda out, beads in. 

Why take the boveda out? Because of the fact they are 65% specifically or do you prefer beads to boveda?

I ask because I changed to boveda packs (65% as well actually) from beads a couple of years ago and have found greatly improved stability in my humidor. I'm just interested in hearing someone's thoughts on boveda that might be critical.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dicko said:

Why take the boveda out? Because of the fact they are 65% specifically or do you prefer beads to boveda?

I ask because I changed to boveda packs (65% as well actually) from beads a couple of years ago and have found greatly improved stability in my humidor. I'm just interested in hearing someone's thoughts on boveda that might be critical.

I was wondering about this too.

Test and measure. Test an measure. 

I have no idea why somethings work. Amazingly, what often works in one humidor doesn't work in another. 

Boveda are set and forget (for a period). Beads require some level of interaction and monitoring. I use beads generally.  I overload with beads. Works for my desk tops. 

I can only suggest to put in fresh beads. Lots of them (I use a sock). Naturally, don't add distilled water.  Monitor and measure. 

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Test and measure. Test an measure. 

I have no idea why somethings work. Amazingly, what often works in one humidor doesn't work in another. 

Boveda are set and forget (for a period). Beads require some level of interaction and monitoring. I use beads generally.  I overload with beads. Works for my desk tops. 

I can only suggest to put in fresh beads. Lots of them (I use a sock). Naturally, don't add distilled water.  Monitor and measure. 

4 hours ago, Colt45 said:

If you are trying to reduce such a humid environment, it is counterproductive to add moisture (boveda packs). I'm another for dry beads in this situation.

So dry beads in a sock? Like I can find gel beads in Taiwan! 

Two things happened today.... My home office is a (mostly) all glass type that looks down on a famous park called Maple Garden, and no that is not the Chinese name, and yes I can say the Chinese name, and no I can't write the Chinese name! I'm a barely literate carpenter from Oregon for ****`s sake. This was going to be simple, but my 5 yo threw up and kind of derailed things.

Back to those two things!

My mostly glass office has a bunch of built in shelves/cabinets. Moved all humidors into a cabinet shut the door and waited. Wait a minute, I put the dual function humistat/thermometer in first... temp remained constant... now the humidors moved in. Set the office thermostat to 20 (which results in 23 when in heat mode - why? Taiwan that's why) and so far so good!

The second thing?  It's cold and rainy like ****ing Portland Oregon so smoking on the office balcony is a no go! Soon it will be hot.... Yes my precious it will! 

Good night from Taichung 

naug - bigs, wcp.

Boveda does make a high absorption 49% pack for guitars.  Perhaps a music store would have them?  I would certainly monitor the progress and not put them directly on the cigars, but I would assume they will suck the humidity out of the air. 

This is what I would do. 

1. Calibrate the humidistat by putting it in a sealed tupperware container with a 65% boveda for a day. It should read exactly 65% give or take 1%. 

2. Get a big tupperware container that seals well. Fill with cigars and put in humidistat. Leave for at least 24 hours. See where the humidity stabilizes. Now you know what you are working with. 

3. Assuming the humidity is higher than 65 you need to get the moisture out of the cigars. Put dry  beads into the sealed box. Humidity should drop. When it has dropped a bit below  65 , take the beads out and see what humidity  the cigars alone stabilise at. Repeat this until the cigars stabilize at 65.

4. Put 65% boveda into the sealed tupperware box with the dried out cigars. This should now stay at 65%.

5. Toss the humidor and use the tupperware. 

7 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Sock, nylon stocking, etc. A suitably sized tupper type container, holes in lid, mesh or open cell foam to keep the beads from falling all over the place. You could also get one or a few of these from our friend Mark: http://www.hbshumidifiers.com/

The sock part is pretty clear. 

I assume the sock is filled with dry beads to absorb excess moisture. 

With regard to the gel beads, any special  ones to get? Just pickup a pack of floral gel beads from Amazon? 

13 hours ago, fitzy said:

I use the heartfelt one's. You can also buy a cheap pair of panty hose. Fill the foot and then tie it off and cut it above the knot. 

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%+Rh+Humidity+Beads 

Also for some of my boxes I use a 74 quart container store weathertight tote. It seems to be pretty air tight:

10062627WaterTightToteClear74qt_x.jpg?wi

Can you mix equal parts  65% beads and 60% beads to come up with 62 1/2% beads?

1 hour ago, Gamehawker said:

Can you mix equal parts  65% beads and 60% beads to come up with 62 1/2% beads?

Hmmm never thought of that. I don't think so as I think the 65% beads will suck the humidity out of the 60% beads.