CORO review in response to a previous thread

Hello everyone. I brought up a question/discussion in the thread below and found some interesting responses. It seems that there was a general consensus that Cohiba represents the flavor profile discussed in that thread, namely grass and hay. So, I've decided to light up a CORO and see what I thought. This is my first ever Cohiba, so this should be interesting regardless of the results. 

Box Code: ABR 13 PSM

Appearance

Nice looking medium dark brown wrapper with a perfect triple cap. Pack is a little on the hard side, but even

Draw

Very tight draw. Had to do a double V cut, but did not help too much. I'll just have to make extra love to it.

Prelight

A little hard to make out any obvious flavors. What I do get is a slight sweetness with a woody note. I'm blaming the tight draw for this.

First Third

I can only describe what I'm tasting as a vegetal sweet taste. There's some kind of characteristic that makes me think "sharp", but it's not in a bad way. It's almost like if I bit into an orange peel and I'm tasting the sharpness from the oils coming out of the peel. Strange/new experience, but I don't hate it. Would not describe the flavors as rich or deep at this point.

Second Third

The draw has improved thank god, but unfortunately, the wrapper burst a bit. I'm thinking it might be due to the overpack. The flavors are still similar to the first third, but has become more mellow. The sweetness has turned into a more honey-like sweetness on the retrohale, which is very much welcomed. As I'm smoking down the second third, the flavors are intensifying.

Final Third

I'm getting hints of graham crackers here and there. I don't know where this came from, but I'm not complaining. Overall, this cigar reminds me of a La Gloria Cubana #4, but with none of the fruity characteristics I get with the LGC. Reaching the nub, the flavors have become richer and darker.

Final Thoughts

This CORO was interesting to me. The beginning was pretty frustrating due to the draw, but thankfully it resolved itself by the second third. As for the flavor, it's honestly not my most favorite, but I didn't hate it either. It was just different from what I've had in other cigars. The final third was where I really loved this cigar, when the flavors became richer and more pronounced. Would I buy a box? Probably not because they are a bit expensive. For premium priced cigars, I think I lean more towards Trinidads rather than Cohiba.

I don't think I tasted anything that made me go "THIS is grass and hay", but I think the closest I got was from the citrus and vegetal notes.

• Like 3

"I don't think I tasted anything that made me go "THIS is grass and hay", but I think the closest I got was from the citrus and vegetal notes."

Very interesting comments. It must be said that the flavours you describe would be close to grass/hay on the flavour wagon wheel though.

Great review. For me, I love CORO although the price point is crazy!!!. Sometimes I get some cedar, honey, coffee, sweet soy bean drink (like the cans you get at some Asian eateries), vanilla bean, citrus, fresh cut grass, earth. Very complex smoke at their best. Definitely can be rough when young though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Randomly quoting me with no reference to why?

Dunno why that happened lol. I just copy pasted the thread url. I'm guessing it's because you were the latest response to it at the time I copied it. Think I fixed it though.

• Like 1

You can usually find the grass and hay flavour profile in Cohiba Lanceros. When good they also have stone fruit/apricot then honey. Similar characteristics can be found in good CORO with a little age on them. 

53 minutes ago, Wushy said:

Dunno why that happened lol. I just copy pasted the thread url. I'm guessing it's because you were the latest response to it at the time I copied it. Think I fixed it though.

actually, I liked being up there :)  I just didn't know why!

• Haha 1