Punch Punch Punch SOM AGO 15: Ode to the 43 to 46 Review Week

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 46 x 5 5/8"

Box Code: SOM AGO 15

Date Purchased: March 6, 2017

Date Smoked: May 22, 2017

The P^3 has long been my go-to cigar. It's performance and profile have been like clockwork the past few years. I've enjoyed them young, and just picked up a 50 cab to age. 

Appearance and Aroma: Cigars are perfectly uniform with a neatly rounded head and a flawless, toothy rosado colorado wrapper that has visible oil crystals. Beautiful. The aroma is sweet barnyard - of the "Cadbury creme egg in a bed of wet hay" variety. 

20170306_174556.thumb.jpg.e5c1bc16012080020dd0871650f5a71d.jpg

First Third: Upon lighting, the draw is firm (just as I prefer) but produces a full smoke, and the combustion is even and cool. The ash is gray/white and flaky, with a razor sharp burn line. The flavor is deeply and satisfyingly leathery with a prominent walnut note. The aroma is earthy, with a pleasant sea salt aspect. 

20170411_211404.thumb.jpg.e07b22838f73255de156a40b27f021c9.jpg

Second Third: In the second third, a deep, fresh, vegetal sweetness emerges with a floral overtone. There is also some black pepper and mint in the aroma. 

Final Third: The floral note becomes more prominent in the final third, as the existing flavors deepen. The smoke remains cool past the band and performance is perfect. This cigar offers waves of evolving, complex flavors. The benchmark corona gorda in my opinion, but sometimes a really good HUP Mag46 makes me waver for a minute ...

Score: 95