Flor de Rafael Gonzalez Petit Corona SINGLE: Ode to the 40 and 42 gauge review week

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 42 x 5 1/8"

Box Code: Unknown

Date Purchased: April 17, 2017

Date Smoked: April 24, 2017

I had no prior experience with the RG marca at all, and had no expectations going into this. To be perfectly honest, this was a "what the hell" throw in to get me over the order limit to get free shipping. Very low bar on this one!

Appearance and Aroma: This is a neatly constructed petit corona and has a bright colorado wrapper, with fine veins and light compression marks. The construction feels consistent, if a little light. The aroma at cold is mild, but sweet and peppery.

591da4dddb7fd_RGPC2.thumb.jpg.a39561cd23febf4cda887cbde895617e.jpg

First Third: It lights easily and produces copious, cool smoke. The combustion is perfect, with an even burn producing a mottled gray ash. The initial profile is clean (i.e. soft, with no harshness or bitterness), with a prominent cedar note. The aroma is peppery and nutty.

Second Third: Near the second third, a hint of fresh pine emerges, giving way to a bright citrus profile. That profile builds throughout the second third, developing into a citrus blossom flavor. The aroma takes on a salted pretzel note. This evolution is surprising, and very much welcome!

591da4e220d7f_RGPC.thumb.jpg.faeadda79fad2c6b1f18df80ba0d594b.jpg

Final Third: In the final third, the smoke becomes slightly hot and tastes of char, but purging solves the problem. Finishes with a bready flavor.

Overall, this is a surprisingly complex little smoke. And one that I would happily seek out more of. Considering that I didn't know what to expect going in, I really enjoyed discovering a cigar that punches well above its weight. If the performance hadn't faltered near the end by burning a bit hot, my score would have been even higher.

Score: 92