Por Larranaga Petit Corona SINGLE: Ode to the 40 and 42 gauge review week

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 42 x 5 1/8"

Box Code: Unknown

Date Purchased: April 17, 2017

Date Smoked: May 4, 2017

Another single from my recent tour of PCs. This was my first trial run with the PLPC; I figured I needed to give it a try after reading all of the glowing testimonials here. I'd love to try one with some age on it, since that seems to be the main attraction, but I figured that a recent sample would at least provide a starting point. 

Appearance and Aroma: This cigar is fairly common in appearance, with a golden Connecticut- like wrapper. Construction is good, consistently firm with no soft spots. The wrapper is fine - no prominent veins marring its appearance. The aroma at cold is nice, but not distinguishing, just a mild sweet tobacco note. 

20170517_085953.thumb.jpg.1699e329fd78decc9aab6823220b3948.jpg

First Third: It lights easily and evenly, leading to a perfect, slightly too-loose draw and full smoke. The ash is gray and produces a nice "stack of dimes" effect, but is a bit loose and falls at half an inch. The initial profile is similar to some QdO I've had recently - pleasant, toasted, with a hint of peanut. But otherwise unremarkable. There's a bit of white pepper in the aroma.

Second Third: Approaching the second third, some nice peaty notes emerge in the retrohale. The second third really evolves, with a mellow burnt sugar flavor developing and some sea salt in the aroma. The burnt sugar profile doesn't have any char or harshness that I would normally expect from that flavor; instead, it's very rounded and soft. Very unusual, but really enjoyable. 

PLPC.thumb.jpg.33dad5faa7fa4cb1b712fb4d84ff321f.jpg

Final Third: In the final third, the burnt sugar profile comes on heavy and deep, but remains smooth, with a bit of a floral chaser. The sea salt and white pepper aroma intensifies. The performance remains perfect, and the smoke is cool and mellow to a nub.

Overall, I have to say this is a unique smoke. The flavor profile isn't quite like anything I've had before, with a combination of caramel/sugar sweetness and earthier flavors. I can absolutely appreciate the aging potential in these - the "caramel stick" that emerges after a few years would be fantastic, I'm sure!

Score: 93