Bolivar Petit Corona SINGLE: Ode to the 40 and 42 gauge review week

Guest Nekhyludov

Guest Nekhyludov

Dimensions: 42 x 5 1/8"

Box Code: Unknown

Date Purchased: April 17, 2017

Date Smoked: April 29, 2017

I put together a custom PC sampler last month in anticipation of warmer weather. During the winter - which apparently now lasts 8 months here - I have to drive an hour to the nearest decent cigar lounge, so considering the time investment I smoke a lot more Churchills and DCs in the winter. But as soon as the weather is tolerable, I get the outdoor furniture out of storage and set up my own private smoking lounge on my deck :P. So it's much easier to duck outside to relax for 45 minutes or so.

20170415_152521.thumb.jpg.82cfae5c61f587fad18626260f207fbe.jpg

Appearance and Aroma: There is a slight box press on this attractive petit corona. The wrapper is a golden colorado with a velvety texture. Unfortunately, I dropped it on its head and cracked the wrapper above the band when I was getting situated. The cold aroma has a little bit of pepper in addition to a mild barnyard sweetness.

5919bcfef28b5_PCsampler.thumb.jpg.3c9aab22daa238f5a128c628fa53490c.jpg

First Third: It lights eagerly, producing a perfect burn, and a full draw, despite the cracked wrapper. The ash is flaky gray and sturdy, and shows lots of white specks, which is usually a good sign! The early profile is full of walnut and fresh cedar, with a pleasant peppery aroma.

5919bd0438047_BolivarPC.thumb.jpg.fd2e261838c2c7fdd6a09179d03b06d6.jpg

Second Third: The second third evolves into a fresh pine flavor that I find to be characteristic of recent Bolivars (and which I really enjoy), with some pepper and a hint of peanut on the retrohale. Afterward, there is a sweet, fresh, floral aspect that recurs in the flavor and the aroma, reminiscent of some fuller-bodied Upmanns.

Final Third:The final third burns just a bit hot, but finishes with a sweet red pepper spice and leather. Performance is impeccable throughout. This was also paired with tea and lemon, but may be a bit too full-bodied for that pairing to work well. A dark coffee or americano might work better for my palate on this one. Overall, this is a wonderful example of the vitola. I was very pleasantly surprised; I've avoided the Boli PCs for a while, expecting that the full-bodied Boli DNA would be too much in a small format (although I love it in the BCG). But this was surprisingly medium-bodied, and all of the varied flavors were really able to shine through and evolve. I'll definitely be looking for a box when circumstances allow!

Score: 94