Prophecy, lucky guess or inside knowledge -Boli CG

I usually take information from Cigar Aficionado with a grain of salt.  However it looks like they were on the money with this article predicting the demise of the BCG back in June.  Was this something obvious we should have seen coming or did our friends at CA have some inside knowledge? Either way I still have to question the decision to delete this fine Churchill.  

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/blogs/show/id/the-churchill-everyone-forgot-18838

• Like 2

Great find. Indeed, some excellent intuition on the author's part. While not the most surprising thing considering the recent pattern of cuts from HSA, I must admit even I didn't see the BCG cut coming.

I smoked a recent BCG a few days ago, and while it's also not my favorite vitola it certainly delivered. Currently one of Cuba's best. And with the announced cut of the Tubos No 1, I'm pretty disappointed. 

I recall reading it but really took no notice.   The 50 I own will have to do me.  A sub is in order if I fall madly in live with the vitola, but honestly I rarely ever take the time.  Usually get a solid hour from any properlynrolled and filled robusto, and I see up to 1.5hrs with a like corona gorda....  The BCG easily takea me a full two hours, and I rarely have that available. Sad, because the few that I have managed to sit for have been outstanding....

• Like 1

I did not see this coming. Not at all. To be honest it hurts. Feeling gutted. And add the upmann pc and hoyo du prince to the list just to be even deeper and darker in that hole... ahhh pointless to say anything

Sound article!

9 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

Usually get a solid hour from any properlynrolled and filled robusto, and I see up to 1.5hrs with a like corona gorda....  The BCG easily takea me a full two hours, and I rarely have that available.

For me, it's is less the plain time aspect. Smoking a Julieta2 is a completely different experience for me. Reserved for those special moments when I want exactly this, a highly relaxing, enduring smoke, a smoking journey - and only when I have that free time at hand. Never a hectic smoke squeezed in between obligations. Some of my best cigar memories come from smoking a Churchill, and that's been mostly rather due to that particular situation than the cigar itself.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

Sound article!

For me, it's is less the plain time aspect. Smoking a Julieta2 is a completely different experience for me. Reserved for those special moments when I want exactly this, a highly relaxing, enduring smoke, a smoking journey - and only when I have that free time at hand. Never a hectic smoke squeezed in between obligations. Some of my best cigar memories come from smoking a Churchill, and that's been mostly rather due to that particular situation than the cigar itself.

Would have to agree.  I have a few boxes of biguns.  50 cab of HDM.  10ct Lusi. Couple boxes of BCG and RAGs but that's really all. Im sure there are some im missing out on.  Would love a box of SLR.  Last friend I had hat bought Punch churchills complained they were all plugged, but that was 6-7 years ago.  Those I do have will cover special occasions for years and years at my large format rate I'm thinking...

This, not counting any larger NCs in my collection.  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2017 at 1:24 AM, subport said:

I did not see this coming. Not at all. To be honest it hurts. Feeling gutted. And add the upmann pc and hoyo du prince to the list just to be even deeper and darker in that hole... ahhh pointless to say anything

I fully concur.  That heartbreak was only compounded when I missed out on the prime boxes offered on Tuesday's 24:24.  

19 hours ago, Fugu said:

Sound article!

Valid point, being single (my time is largely my own) this is an aspect I didn't give much thought to.  While I'm sure this a consideration for most I have to question why then are the Esplendido and R&J so widely embraced?      

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SignalJoe said:

...I have to question why then are the Esplendido and R&J so widely embraced?      

Esplendido, well, because Cohiba. Also, Cohiba has only ever cut one model, the Coronas, in 1992, and only reportedly because of an overlap with the Siglo series, although the Siglo III is a Long Corona.

RyJ (along with Partagas) is also a huge worldwide brand, hence 5 Marevas. Also, the RyJ Churchill is very famous and considered the original, and holds a special place, although I could still see HSA cutting it at some point. Similar situation with the Sir Winston. Losing any of these last 3 would be just pitiful.

Outside of the Franciscos vitola, I don't believe HSA has of yet totally eliminated a >38 RG vitola in the modern era that wasn't also introduced in the modern era like the Del Valle (Trini Robusto T). 

Anyway, all we can hope for is that HSA diverts some of the fantastic tobacco being used in the current BCG into other models, which I'd be fine with. Something they really didn't do when streamlining other brands like Punch. HSA cuts 3/4 of Punch's Coronas Gordas but the remaining one is crap for a decade. Lineups have been decimated for 15 years now, but the remaining models don't seem to benefit as much as they should. 

• Like 1

Nsxcigar I appreciate the popularity and cache that the Cohiba and R&J names carry.  I guess I'm guilty of assuming others were like me when I started smoking.  When I discovered a cigar I enjoyed I would try the same vitola in other brands or vice versa.  This was part of my discovery process to see if/how much the vitola influenced the tastes I enjoyed. Once I tried to a Julieta 2 from R&J I tried a number of others and eventually found the BCG. 

In retrospect I probably should have realized that cigars are like any other consumer product in that people will gravitate towards the "top name brands" even when "lesser brands"  are offering a competitive or superior product.   

I also regret the elimination of the Francisco vitola.  The Bolivar Coronas Extras where by far my favorite stick.  I would have stocked up when I was in Europe but even back in 2006 they were hard to find.