Bolivar Coronas Gigantes 16: Discontinued Cigar Review Weekend

This cigar was from the Christmas Sampler.  I am not a fan of Bolivar but I did my best to go into this with an open mind given the incredibly positive things people have had to say about these as of late.

Opening:  The cigar had a firm draw that loosened slightly after lighting. The prelight was predominantly leather.  Opening I encountered a sour bitterness that I typically associate with Bolivar.  Towards the end of the first third, strong espresso notes began to come through.

Middle Third:  Throughout the middle third the espresso flavours continued with leather gradually building in the background.

Final Third: Espresso remained the predominant flavour all the way through to the end.  The total smoke time was 2:40.

This was certainly one of the more enjoyable Bolivar's I have had, although it hasn't won me over enough to consider buying any more.  Personally I won't miss this cigar, but I am saddened by its departure regardless due to what it represents - the loss of another classic to fuel the current trend of limited editions and cigars thicker than they are long.

2017-01-24 21.08.53.jpg

• Like 4

I had a similar experience with mine too from the Xmas Sampler. If I could articulate it, I would say that, for me, the spine of the cigar, the ligero leaf down the middle, was earth, leather and spice, whereas the seco leaf had that espresso and hint of toasted tobacco/shortbread which I quite liked, yet was not enough in the flavour blend to 'knock me out' like the other cigars in the Xmas Sampler. Sorry Nick, I may be stealing your thunder mate from your review, and really I need to write up my own (which I will soon) , but I guess I've just posted a long-winding reply which echoed your feelings on this cigar. Still, I'm sad to see it go.

• Like 1