Bolivar Coronas Gigantes 1999 50 cab discontinued cigar review weekend.

On 24/01/2017 at 6:59 AM, Lant63 said:

I waited to buy this cab for a while, and I'm sure glad I did.

Had been on the fence, too, of buying one of those '99 revisado cabs a few years back. Tried a couple of them and they were the lightest (not to say blandest) BCGs I had ever had. Not bad cigars per se, but truly underwhelming for a BCG. So eventually didn't buy the remaining box..... perhaps still a mistake after all?!  :thinking:

Thanks for the very nice review!

• Like 1

... a couple of friends of mine split one of these and says that they have been phenomenal.

Thinking back on a rather rude post that I just made about vintage year generalizations; I feel vindicated!!! (Not that I need justification for my posts!)

Nice cigars, nice review. -Piggy

Had been on the fence, too, of buying one of those '99 revisado cabs a few years back. Tried a couple of them and they were the lightest (not to say blandest) BCGs I had ever had. Not bad cigars per se, but truly underwhelming for a BCG. So eventually didn't buy the remaining box..... perhaps still a mistake after all?!  :thinking:

Thanks for the very nice review!

I have to say that they aren't very light now. I find newer ones 2014-15 much lighter. I sound old now but have people noticed a different in the strength of blend of these in the past 20 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PigFish said:

Thinking back on a rather rude post that I just made about vintage year generalizations; I feel vindicated!!! (Not that I need justification for my posts!)

Must just have grabbed them in their most severe vaccum phase... :lol3:

12 hours ago, PigFish said:

... a couple of friends of mine split one of these and says that they have been phenomenal.

Nice cigars, nice review. -Piggy

Have you tried BCG from this time period?  I'm interested if you think Bolivar has changed in blend over the last 20 years.  I  know that in general you smoke smaller cigars. Do you ever reach for a churchill?

• 3 months later...

I have to say that they aren't very light now. I find newer ones 2014-15 much lighter. I sound old now but have people noticed a different in the strength of blend of these in the past 20 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, new Bolis are underwhelming. The few Inmensas I have from 98 are so much more rich and enjoyable than any recent production. I have some high hopes for the 2015 turbos #1, based on a fiver I picked up, but they're on the cut list, so I doubt I'll get any more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk