Davidoff Escurio Robusto - Question

Smoked the Davidoff that Mrs Hedgeybaby gave me for Christmas on Friday and have a quick question to those who have smoked this one before. The first third was all fire and brimstone, lots of pepper, quite harsh on the nose etc etc. 

However, on the second third, the flavor profile went completely dead. The stick was still burning nicely and producing a lot of smoke but it felt that it was air that I was smoking. Last third went back to the peppery taste.

Is this normal for the marque or did I have a dud or was it due to the humidity level (65-70%ish,) that it was stored at?

Davidoff Escurio.jpg

On 1/23/2017 at 6:06 AM, hedgeybaby said:

Smoked the Davidoff that Mrs Hedgeybaby gave me for Christmas on Friday and have a quick question to those who have smoked this one before. The first third was all fire and brimstone, lots of pepper, quite harsh on the nose etc etc. 

However, on the second third, the flavor profile went completely dead. The stick was still burning nicely and producing a lot of smoke but it felt that it was air that I was smoking. Last third went back to the peppery taste.

Is this normal for the marque or did I have a dud or was it due to the humidity level (65-70%ish,) that it was stored at?

It's been a while since I've had it but I specifically remember not being impressed. Your description sounds comparable but my memory isn't on point as I just wrote it off as a "never again" experience. However, I love the new Yamasa blend and thought the Nicaragua blend was a little north of ok. I actually really enjoy the classic series especially in corona larga in the early morning with coffee. It's very mild but very flavorful. Too expensive for any kind of regularity for me but enjoyable. Same thing with the Yamasa but I'd suggest giving one a try in pyramid or Robusto.

• Like 2

The original 3 sizes of the Escurio line were ok but seemed segmented and a little crude.  The ones to smoke are the 2 new sizes, the Gran Perfecto and the Corona Gorda.  Night and day difference to the one you smoked and what the line should have been like from the start.  The new sizes took the line from "Probably Discontinue" to "Great Addition" in my store. 

Definitely not typical of Davidoff at all, and as rxavier1979 said, the Yamasa series, particularly the Pyramid, is fantastic and distinct for Davidoff.

• Like 2

I'm trying the Corona Gorda right now, and will follow up with my final impressions. At about 1/2" in, there's hardly any flavor to speak of.  However, the smoke is very smooth and oily.  The Nicaragua Toro was excellent, but this....? TBD.

IMG_20170125_220138585.jpg

Well, this one missed the mark for me.  To its credit, the cigar smoked smoothly end to end with zero harshness.  Unfortunately, there were really no discernable flavors, apart from a slight vegetal bitterness.  The oily quality kept up throughout.  It did have a pleasant slightly sweet aroma at times, but this did not translate to the palate.   Perhaps I got a dud, but I was not impressed.

IMG_20170125_223444011.jpg