It always amazes me the difference in location

Been at my uncle's in Port Charlotte FL about 1/2 mile from the Gulf since Sunday.  Now, I grew up two streets away from the Gulf up in Bradenton, but I've been in the desert SW for 10 years.   The difference is a hoot.   Walked in to find these on the kitchen table, and this picture is from Tuesday morning.  They haven't moved:

image.jpeg

and on the counter in the kitchen this Boveda, swelled up like a tic:

image.jpeg

Humidity has been a steady 98% since arrival. In Arizona those sticks would have dried up and blown away inside the house on my kitchen table, and that Boveda would have awakened the house on the first night as it dried completely out and cavitated about midnight....

Can't say I miss the humidity, but it's a whole different life constantly fighting to keep your sticks from drying out. 

• Like 1

I live in CO, but spent a couple weeks before christmas in Hawaii, when you go from 10%-15% RH to 90%+ it is a lot to deal with! I don't typically notice any big changes in flavor till the last third of the cigar. I think the humidity leads to a bit more tar build up and more bitter/acrid flavors at the end of the cigar. I did have a Monte PE literally blow up on me sitting on @miurajus back porch one night. The draw was pretty tight for most of the stick, then I removed the band and the cigar grew about 20RG, did some damage to the wrapper, but the rest of the cigar actually smoked better!

• Like 1