Formula 1 - 2017

ALONSO: I HAVE NO DOUBTS ABOUT THE RENAULT ENGINE

Fernando Alonso

Fernando Alonso has spent three years driving a grossly under-powered car, but his plight is supposedly set to end with the advent of Renault engines to be bolted on to the back of his McLaren next season and he believes that things will only get better.

At the Brazilian Grand Prix the McLaren-Honda package was visibly lacking straight-line speed which compromised the Spaniard’s ability to overtake in the heat of battle.

After the race Alonso told reporters, “We had a fantastic car but we cannot overtake. The lack of power was amazing. Even with DRS, Felipe was still pulling away.”

“For us it is a happy weekend but the lack of speed was alarming. Mexico and here we have been super-slow on the straights.”

“I had a fantastic car throughout the whole race, but, ultimately, I just could not overtake. We didn’t have enough speed on the straights.”

“I was very, very close to Felipe a couple of times at the exit of the corners, and I thought ‘now is the time I can pass him,’ but even though I was using the DRS, he was pulling away.”

Although the Honda power unit is woeful, the Renault brigade have also had a myriad of problems with their power units. Reliability has gone out the window, and running conservative engine modes has been advised by the French manufacturer, 

But this does not worry Alonso, “Renault is the best engine company in the past 15 or 20 years if you see all the world championships so l don’t think we should be too worried.”

The common consensus is that the MCL32 is a very good chassis, by all accounts one of the best on the grid. This has prompted suggestions that next year McLaren may be able to slug it out with Red Bull,

Alonso’s teammate Stoffel Vandoorne, who is in a similar situation as the Spaniard, but also expects that next year there will be a turnaround of fortunes.

He said in an interview, “The team is already focused one hundred percent on next year’s package. Everything that I have heard so far is positive. The car won’t be compromised, even if it is a big change.”

“What we have seen from Renault is promising when looking at Red Bull’s results – their wins and podiums. Yes, it will put us under pressure – positive pressure because we will have a benchmark,” added Vandoorne.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Formula 1 - 2017 - Why The Hell Not! Yeah, yeah.... @OZCUBAN will no doubt be saying "I told you so" and I really was going to leave Formula 1 at 2016 for at least a year but I figured being

Ugh.  Long long day here.  3 flights followed by a 4 hour drive home and 2 near crashes on the way home.  Love it when the idiots close down one lane of the interstate, back traffic way behind the lan

Hi all. Just advising you all, in a few hours, I'll cease posting for a couple weeks as I am off on break with my son being school holidays here. I most likely won't post anything as the first pa

BUEMI CONQUERS THE PERILOUS GOTTHARD PASS

Sébastien Buemi has undertaken some amazing stunts during his motorsport career, however few can compare with the breathtaking beauty of his twisting drive along the perilous Tremolastrasse.

The 2014 FIA World Endurance champion and 2016 Formula E champion returned to his native Switzerland and Ticino, the southernmost canton in the country, to drive on the ancient road made of uneven cobblestones which are made treacherously slick by melting snow.

Built between 1827-1832 on an Alpine route first used by the Romans, the Tremolastrasse connects the town of Airolo to the famous Gotthard Pass.

The project team only had a short window of time due to the hazardous road and weather to allow Sébastien, a former Scuderia Toro Rosso driver in Formula 1, the chance to navigate the F1 title-winning RB8 car around the snaking 12.7km route to a summit 2,106m.

The 29-year-old revealed, “Racing in Switzerland has been forbidden for many years so to have the opportunity to drive an F1 car in Switzerland, and on the most beautiful roads, was amazing. I’ll remember this for a very long time.”

MONTEZEMOLO: SPORT IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE

Luca Di Montezemolo

Since he was deposed as Ferrari chief in 2014, Luca di Montezemolo has enjoyed watching Formula 1 from the sidelines and was quick to praise Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel for their victory at the Brazilian but warned that sport is not an exact science… a clear dig clear at the team’s current president Sergio Marchionne.

Montezemolo told Radio Capital, “I enjoyed the victory of Ferrari and an extraordinary Hamilton who would have won if he had started on the front row. It was a beautiful, fun race.”

In a dig at Marchionne, who has often berated his team for under performing while pushing unrealistic expectations, the former Ferrari boss added, “Sport is not an exact science like certain things in finance or the economy: talking is easy, winning is difficult. That said, Ferrari had a good season but unfortunately did not win the championship.”

“I was lucky enough to win 19 drivers’ and constructors’ Formula 1 world championships, but I was also there many times when we lost in the last race. I think Ferrari’s goal for next year will be to fight for the title until the very last race.”

“I look at the fact that unfortunately Ferrari did not win this year and we have not won [F1 titles] for a very long time. But it was a season in which, at least until the eve of the Italian Grand Prix, Ferrari were leading the championship and that’s a good thing,” added Montezemolo.

Stoffel Vandoorne believes he's fared 'very well' against Fernando Alonso

jm1712no42.jpg

McLaren's Stoffel Vandoorne believes he's fared well against team-mate and two-time champion Fernando Alonso during his rookie season in Formula 1.

Vandoorne currently sits just two points adrift of the Spaniard's tally of 15 points and has two seventh-place finishes, whilst Alonso has one sixth-place finish to his name this season as McLaren's Honda struggles continue.

The team haven't had the results they hoped for, but Vandoorne believes he's made the best of the situation and has proven his talent when it's been possible amidst various reliability problems.

"With all the issues we had throughout this season I was never 'traumatised', but instead always wanted to fight the odds to get the best possible result and learn with every lap that I did in the car – even if sometimes my mileage was cut short by circumstance," the Belgian told the official F1 website.

When asked what he'd take away from the year with just one race remaining, Vandoorne replied: "That I fared very well against Fernando.

"Yes, the race results were not as expected, but having a super strong team-mate is a well known value in the paddock. "

The 25-year-old meanwhile is looking forward to next season and says the results Red Bull have been able to achieve with Renault power give McLaren – which will switch from Honda to Renault in 2018 – hope.

"Of course the team is already focused one hundred per cent on next year's package. Everything that I have heard so far is positive. The car won't be compromised, even if it is a big change.

"What we have seen from Renault is promising when looking at Red Bull's results – their wins and podiums. Yes, it will put us under pressure – positive pressure because we will have a benchmark."

Mercedes analyses Brazilian GP strategy

Brazil never fails to entertain! But how did yet another Interlagos rollercoaster unfold behind-the-scenes? Only one way to find out... it's Pure Pit Wall debrief time!

Brawn ‘shocked’ by response to engine proposal

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Ross_Brawn-700x367.jpg

Ross Brawn was “a little bit shocked” by the response Liberty Media received from the teams over their proposed 2021 engine regulations.

Formula 1 engines have been a contentious topic since 2014 when the 1.6-litre V6 turbo engine was introduced.

Quieter, more expensive and playing a part in creating a two-tier system, F1 owners Liberty Media have proposed a new way forward come 2021.

They would like to see noiser, cheaper engines that go some way towards levelling the playing field being used in the sport by doing away from the MGU-H and introducing some standards parts.

“The current engine is an incredible piece of engineering but it’s not a great racing engine,” Brawn explained to the BBC Sport.

“It is very expensive, it doesn’t make any noise, it has componentry that in order to control the number of uses is creating grid penalties that make a farce of F1, there are big differentials of performance between the competitors and we are never going to get anyone else to come in and make engines.”

He added that he was “a little bit shocked at the response we’ve had” as Liberty’s proposal was heavily criticism by Mercedes and Renault with Ferrari even going as far as to threaten to quit the sport over it with some fearing that it is done deal.

“Reflecting on it, maybe we could have presented it differently,” Brawn continued. “But I didn’t anticipate the response to be as strong as it was.

“We’ve had another meeting since then and I’ve made that comment. If that is the the thing people are most upset about, then I apologise.

“But let’s not lose sight of what we are trying to do.

“If they were uncomfortable with the way it was presented, it wasn’t intended that way.”

The F1 sporting boss insisted that Liberty are opening to hearing other suggestions “as long as those principles that we’ve set out are achieved.

“If a manufacturer can demonstrate that there is a better way of doing it than what has been proposed – i.e. it is cheaper, it is more appealing to the fans, it is something that a new supplier could engage with; any of those factors – then why not?

“We are not wedded to specific solutions. We think with the expertise that we’ve got and the work we’ve done, these are the solutions that can work.

“If somebody suggests another solution that they think will achieve the same objective, we are not going to say no.”

As for Ferrari’s quit threat, the Scuderia’s former technical director said: “I recognise it is important to keep the identity of a Ferrari or a Mercedes engine. They need to be able to say: ‘That is our engine.’

“I don’t think we have crossed that boundary but now the proposal is on the table we need to meet with these people and understand what it is they are comfortable with and what they are not.

“All the manufacturers like a large chunk of the proposal; it is just not the same chunk.”

Toro Rosso "had to say something" about Renault criticism

Toro Rosso "had to say something" about Renault criticism

Scuderia Toro Rosso boss Franz Tost says he felt he had to defend his Formula 1 team after Renault suggested that the way it operated its power units had contributed to the run of recent failures.

In Brazil, Cyril Abiteboul told Motorsport.com that there were "never coincidences in this sport" and Toro Rosso subsequently issued a statement denying that it was at fault.

It suggested that Renault's own pursuit of sixth place in the constructors' championship – currently held by the Faenza team – had played a role in recent events.

That statement in turn infuriated Renault, and brought a clarification from Red Bull motorsport boss Helmut Marko.

"I had the feeling that I had to say something," Tost told Motorsport.com. "You know, that if the team is being criticised, and we feel this is not 100 percent correct, then we have to give a statement. And this is what we did.

"Whether it's done correctly or not is another question. We just clarified our point of view."

Asked if the matter was now over, he said: "I think so, I didn't hear anything any more, so that's it."

Renault scored one point in Brazil with Nico Hulkenberg's 10th place, so Toro Rosso still holds a slender four-point advantage, with Haas a further two points behind.

Cyril Abiteboul, Managing Director, Renault Sport F1 Team, Helmut Markko, Consultant, Red Bull Racing, Christian Horner, Team Principal, Red Bull Racing Franz Tost, Scuderia Toro Rosso Team Principal Yusuke Hasegawa, Senior Managing Officer, Honda, shakes hands with Franz Tost, Team Principal, Scuderia Toro Rosso

Tost said the drop from sixth to eighth could cost STR $6.5m in F1 prize money, making Abu Dhabi a critical race for all three teams.

"It's very stressful. Regarding Toro Rosso we'll try to prepare in the best possible way, with as many reliable parts as we have. Regarding our power unit supplier we don't have this under our control, this is their decision."

Tost was encouraged to see future engine supplier Honda have a strong race with Fernando Alonso in Brazil.

"That's fantastic, I've just congratulated Hasegawa-san, because they did a good job. I hope they can do the same in Abu Dhabi."

Marko admitted that the ongoing problems were frustrating for both Red Bull teams.

"Of course it's not satisfying," he told Motorsport.com. "They haven't cured the problem yet, and they're running out of parts, and then the situation happens like it does.

"Unfortunately Toro Rosso was affected more than any other team, so that's why the emotion went up.

"We discussed it, we made a statement, and everything is OK. We are in a close fight with Renault for position six, but we are still ahead."

Marko said that there were reliability worries over Max Verstappen's car in Brazil, following a change to a high mileage MGU-H for Saturday, but Red Bull still hopes to avoid penalties in Abu Dhabi.

"We were worried about Max, so we were looking after temperature and revs for the MGU-H. But five Renault engines finished.

"At least all the engines stayed together, and from this point of view we should start without penalties in Abu Dhabi, but it's not clear yet."

Stroll needs a slower teammate, says Villeneuve

Stroll needs a slower teammate, says Villeneuve

Lance Stroll needs a slower teammate to help improve his performance in Formula 1, according to former world champion Jacques Villeneuve.

The Williams driver was running 14th but ultimately finished 16th in the Brazilian Grand Prix after picking up a flat spot that caused his left-front tyre to delaminate and forced an extra pitstop.

Teammate Felipe Massa, who is retiring at the end of the season, finished sixth on home soil to move back ahead of Stroll and into 10th in the drivers' championship with one race to go.

"It wasn't impressive," 1997 world champion Villeneuve told Motorsport.com. "He was about to get lapped by his teammate.

"Then he blew a tyre so at least he has an excuse. It's not a weekend to remember."

Stroll had a tough start to the season, failing to see the chequered flag in the first there races, but scored his first points in Canada and a maiden podium at the following race in Baku.

Lance Stroll, Williams Lance Stroll, Williams FW40 Lance Stroll, Williams FW40, Brendon Hartley, Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12

But Villeneuve said: "You can't just look at the points, you have to look at the pace. We haven't really seen an improvement.

"Something has to happen during the winter because he's been better than that in the other categories.

"He needs to figure something out. Maybe a new teammate will be helpful."

When asked what Stroll needs to do to improve, Villeneuve said: "Have a slower teammate. He needs to find a way to go faster."

Stroll is set to stay at Williams for the next two seasons under his current deal, with the team yet to appoint his teammate for 2018.

Robert Kubica, whose F1 career was interrupted by life-threatening injuries from a rally crash in 2011, is the frontrunner to get the seat.

The 32-year-old Pole is poised to drive for Williams in the post-Abu Dhabi Pirelli Formula 1 tyre test so the team can continue to evaluate the potential of his return.

The alternatives are reserve driver Paul di Resta, former Toro Rosso driver Daniil Kvyat and Sauber's Pascal Wehrlein.

TORO ROSSO CONFIRM HARTLEY AND GASLY FOR 2018

Hartley, Gasly

Brendon Hartley and Pierre Gasly will race for Toro Rosso next season, the Red Bull-owned Formula 1 team announced on Thursday.

Hartley, a Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar winner with Porsche and double world endurance champion, was drafted in to the team last month and will be starting his first full F1 season in 2018. So too will Gasly, who made his debut in Malaysia at the beginning of October.

Carlos Sainz had left for Renault and Gasly, the Spaniard’s replacement, had other commitments in Japan where he was competing for the Super Formula title.

That left Toro Rosso needing to find another driver, having already recalled Russian Daniil Kvyat. Hartley impressed and was confirmed alongside Gasly to the end of the season, with Kvyat leaving.

Toro Rosso are switching from Renault to Honda engines next season and are fighting the French manufacturer and U.S.-owned Haas team for sixth place in the constructors’ championship.

Renault are just four points behind Toro Rosso and two clear of Haas with the difference between sixth and eighth places measured in millions of dollars when it comes to revenue payments.

Neither Hartley nor Gasly has scored a point so far, with the former set to start his fourth race of the season in Abu Dhabi next week and the Frenchman his fifth.

The team’s driver confirmation leaves only Williams and Sauber with uncertain lineups.

Williams need to replace retiring Brazilian Felipe Massa while Sauber are expected to bring in at least one Ferrari-backed driver with Monaco’s Formula Two champion Charles Leclerc seemingly sure of a seat.

Press Release:

Scuderia Toro Rosso is very pleased to announce that its driver line-up for the 2018 Formula 1 season will be the one formed by Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley. After making their Formula 1 debuts this year in Malaysia and Texas respectively, both drivers will continue together, as teammates, in the new year.

Next week’s Grand Prix in Abu Dhabi will be Pierre’s fifth Formula 1 weekend and Brendon’s fourth, gaining vital experience in order to start the 2018 season with already a good understanding of the sport and, at the same time, getting to know the team better.

“We’re really happy to have Pierre and Brendon confirmed so early by Red Bull as our drivers for 2018”, commented our Team Principal, Franz Tost. “During this last part of the year they’ve shown that they’re ready for Formula 1, getting to grips with the car quickly, showing good performances and always demonstrating to be prepared for the challenge. We have been truly impressed by their steep learning curves.”

“As we know, F1 is something that not all drivers can adapt to this fast! Therefore, we’re looking forward to having a full year with them; one where we can hopefully provide them with a good package which, combined with driver consistency, can surely put them in the best possible situation to deliver. I’m sure they will keep pushing hard and fight for strong results, together with the team.”

Pierre Gasly: “I’m super happy to race for Scuderia Toro Rosso in 2018, for my first proper season in Formula 1. I would like to thank all the people involved, who helped me get here: Red Bull, Toro Rosso, my family and all the ones who have supported me in the lower series. I’m really excited and super motivated to give it my all in Abu Dhabi and the whole of next year! I just can’t wait!”

Brendon Hartley: “Really amazing to be confirmed as a Formula 1 driver for next year with Toro Rosso – It’s very satisfying to have converted an opportunity that came as a surprise into a 2018 F1 drive, I couldn’t be happier! I’d like to thank Red Bull and Toro Rosso for believing in me and giving me this second chance – dreams can come true. I’m now going to carry on working harder than ever in order to finish this busy end of season on a high and start the new year as strong as possible… Bring it!”

BOTTAS: FIGHTING FOR THE TITLE WAS MY GOAL BUT I FAILED

Valtteri Bottas

Valtteri Bottas began his first season with Mercedes in style, a podium on his debut for the team in Australia and then two wins in the first nine races.

At that point Lewis Hamilton had only won thrice. However since Bottas’ victory in Austria in early July, the Finn’s challenge fizzled out and he has not won a race since while his teammate racked up six victories.

Something went awry with Bottas’ campaign and he pinpointed the problem in an interview with Racer, “I need more consistency. It was a bit up and down this season.”

“There were some really good moments, like it started steadily and then it was really good and then just before the August break, I think the last four races, I scored more points than Sebastian and Lewis, so it was really good again. And then my performance kind of dipped for different reasons.”

Driving the best car on the grid and part of the Mercedes juggernaut, that has been a dominant force in the sport for the past three years, there is simply nowhere for Bottas to hide and he knows it.

“I need to be a more consistent,” repeated the 28 year old. “More complete driver and understand the car better and be better with setting up the car, but all of those things I’ve learned massively from this year, so that’s why I think it’s possible.”

With a host of young drivers in the Mercedes junior programme ready and willing to be promoted to the most coveted seat in the sport, pressure is on Bottas to deliver. His plight exacerbated by the fact that the Silver Arrows management have only handed him a one year contract beyond 2017. The pressure is on for him to raise his game substantially next season.

Among the lows of the season for Bottas, there have also been highs, “For sure it has been really interesting and exciting and definitely created memories that I will always remember – memories like my first win and my first pole.”

For most of the season, particularly in the latter half when Hamilton found another gear and raised the bar, Bottas has struggled to match the pace of his teammate. The gap anything from a quarter second to half a second per lap in most sessions.

These are facts that do not escape him, “Performance-wise, I can’t be too happy because for the season I set myself a goal to fight for the championship and to win the championship. That was my goal. But I failed. That is disappointing to me, definitely.”

“But on the other hand, one of the positives was that I learned massively and I really think next year I can be a lot better and more complete driver and quicker. That’s why I’m really looking forward to next year,” added Bottas who lies third in the championship and needing to score 23 more points than Sebastian Vettel to make it a one-two for Mercedes in the drivers’ championship.

Team chief Toto Wolff aptly summed up the difference between his two drivers this season, “I think Lewis the whole year has been rock and roll, and Valtteri has recovered slowly but still needs the tick of a killer.”

FORCE INDIA COUNTING THE COST OF SUCCESS

jm1728oc569-1.jpg

Force India are enjoying their highest-scoring Formula 1 season, the team punching well above their weight have secured fourth place in the constructors’ championship for the second year in a row.

But, as chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer wryly observes, there is a point at which success is a bit of a mixed blessing.

“Every point we gain now, it doesn’t help us to secure fourth but it does cost us in entry for the championship next year, another $5,000 per point to the FIA,” the Romanian-born American told Reuters.

“We can’t afford that,” he added, before a hasty “only joking”.

Every point costs $5,161, on top of a basic sum of $516,128, when it comes to calculating a team’s 2018 entrance fee. The rate for champions Mercedes is even greater — $6,194 per point and they have 625 so far.

Force India’s 177 — four points more than last year’s haul — will cost the Silverstone-based team $913,497 on top of the base fee and there is still next week’s finale in Abu Dhabi to come.

That is a tidy sum for a team counting ever penny, with a staff of 400 and an annual budget of around $100 million compared to rivals with double the workforce and three times the financial clout.

Force India cannot overhaul third-placed Red Bull, who are 181 points ahead, and nor are they in any danger from fifth-placed Williams on 82.

They will still be pushing hard, however.

Mexican Sergio Perez and French team mate Esteban Ocon are free to race each other, after being reined in as a result of earlier clashes, and will be hoping to wrap up on a high.

Formula One is far from a level playing field and Szafnauer, who works with deputy principal Bob Fernley to steer the team at the track in the absence of embattled co-owner Vijay Mallya, knows 2018 will be another tough battle.

When it comes to discretionary spend — the amount left over after engine bills, travel costs and staff wages are deducted from the budget — Force India have far less than their main rivals.

“For us that’s probably one tenth of what some of the others have,” said Szafnauer.

Force India have been helped by former champions McLaren enduring a nightmare with Honda, Williams failing to make the most of their Mercedes engine and Renault rebuilding. But all three can be expected to raise their game next year.

“We’re up for the challenge and we will target to three-peat the fourth place,” said Szafnauer, who saw various main ingredients to Force India’s success, apart from having a Mercedes engine.

Technical director Andrew Green, chief race engineer Tom McCullough and sporting director Andy Stevenson have played a key role while securing top tyre engineers and the use of Toyota’s wind tunnel in Cologne were also crucial.

”Mercedes have done a great job for us,“ said Szafnauer. ”But you can point at Williams and say they’ve got the same great engine as you but they haven’t managed it. So it’s not just the engine.

“We like to hire like-minded people that are basically racers and all pull in the same direction to get the job in hand done without any politics,” he added.

The poaching of staff is a concern for any successful team, but Szafnauer said only two were lured away last year — one to Renault and another to Williams.

Mallya’s financial and legal problems, with the flamboyant liquor baron confined to Britain and fighting a bid by India to extradite him on fraud charges that he denies, have also had to be handled with sensitivity.

“We just have to reassure the staff that Vijay’s issues that sometimes play out in the media, have zero impact on the team,” said Szafnauer.

“Those are his issues and he keeps those separate from the team. So far that’s been the case and I don’t think that’s going to change in the future.”

MAGNUSSEN SUED BY FORMER MANAGER FOR MILLIONS

Dorte Riis Madsen, Kevin Magnussen

Kevin Magnussen is being taken to court by his former manager Dorte Riis Madsen, the issue being a percentage of the Formula 1 drivers’ past and future earnings which she has laid claim to as part of a long standing management contract she has with the Dane.

Since summer, both parties have tried to find a resolution in the case via a closed court settlement, but without success. Now lawsuit will be heard in a Copenhagen court during a three day trial featuring Magnussen and Madsen, scheduled for 11 January, 16 January and 18 January.

Dorte Riis Madsen’s attorney, Martin Dahl Pedersen, confirmed to BT that the case will be heard, “That’s right and I can confirm that.”

The case between Kevin Magnussen and Madsen became public earlier this year, when his former manager sued the Haas driver for breach of their management agreement, which they entered into in 2008.

Madsen will claim 20 percent of all of Magnussen’s earnings during the period from 1 September 2015 until 30 June 2021, as per the alleged contract between the two.

She is also claiming 20 percent of the associate company which was formed to finance Magnussen’s Formula 1 career. The private limited company is owned by Magnussen and billionaire partner Anders Holch Povlsen.

There is no official figure on how much money Madsen is seeking from Magnussen, but several sources suggest the claim could run up to 20 million Danish kroner ($3-million).

Magnussen parted company with his long standing manager in 2015, internal conflicts between him and Madsen supposedly causing the rift. Reportedly the 2008 management contract between the two was never formally terminated even though payment to Madsen ceased in September 2015.

Madsen wants Magnussen to compensate her financially for lost earnings dating back two years, plus future earnings. She said of the conflict with the driver she helped throughout his climb to F1, “It’s incomprehensible and sad.”

Magnussen will argue that Madsen hurt his career by putting him in a bad light with McLaren management during his one and only season as a driver with the Woking outfit in 2014.

He said of the case, “It does not affect my season.”

Abu Dhabi - the race that could cost Toro Rosso $12 million

jm1712no474.jpg

Although the championship has been decided and the top five positions in the Constructors' set, a tight lower-midfield means it's all to play for in the final race of the season in Abu Dhabi, with many millions in prize money to be won or lost.

The prize money pot is divided into four payments, Column 1 and 2, LST (Long Standing Team) and CCB (Championship Constructor Bonus). Only two of these, Column 1 and 2, are shared amongst all the teams, with the former divided equally and the latter based on a teams championship position.

With Toro Rosso in sixth and Haas in eighth split by just six points, and Renault sandwiched inbetween, four behind STR and just two ahead of Haas, it's all to play for. But few think of the financial implications this battle could have, with each position potentially costing tens of millions in C2 payouts.

As it stands, Haas are currently set for a payout (C2 only) of $20 million, Renault $24m and Toro Rosso $32m – should they finish where they are.

Therefore the difference between finishing sixth and finishing eighth is a whopping $12m. To any team, that's a boost, but for a small team such as Haas and Toro Rosso, it represents a substantial amount of their budget (potentially 10 per cent).

What makes things more difficult for Toro Rosso is their recent run of poor reliability, which has contributed to their paltry one point in five races – the switch to two rookie drivers certainly hasn't helped either.

Renault meanwhile, which supplies engines to Toro Rosso for one more event, ahead of its Honda switch, has scored seven points in the same amount of time and has experienced far fewer reliability issues in those races, but it has suffered some setbacks.

Renault's Cyril Abiteboul recently suggested Toro Rosso's problems were self-inflicted, a comment team boss Franz Tost reacted strongly to and hinted at foul play, suggesting Renault were sabotaging his operation to ensure it can secure sixth place in the standings.

"We mustn’t forget that they are fighting with Toro Rosso for a better position in the Constructors’ Championship, as suggested by Mr Abiteboul the situation may not be a coincidence, but it is certainly not due to STR’s car," he said.

Foul play or not, Toro Rosso need a strong finish to the season – or at least need Renault not to score – if they're to remain sixth and keep that $12m, whilst also keeping an eye on Haas who remain a real threat too having scored ten points in the last five races, more than Toro Rosso and Renault combined!

Schumacher tops greatest Ferrari driver poll

Schumacher tops greatest Ferrari driver poll

Michael Schumacher has been voted the greatest Ferrari driver of all-time in a reader poll conducted by F1 Racing magazine, topping the list ahead of Kimi Raikkonen and Gilles Villeneuve.

To celebrate 70 years of Ferrari, F1 Racing asked its readers and the online forum of FerrariChat to vote for the greatest Ferrari driver of all-time.

To narrow the criteria, the voting was limited to the 38 drivers who have won a world championship grand prix for Ferrari since 1950 and the results have been unveiled in this month’s edition of F1 Racing, that went on sale in the UK today (November 16).

Thousands took part in the online poll and Schumacher was so popular, he registered over 50% of the entire vote from the global fanbase.

Of the F1 drivers still racing, Fernando Alonso was rated sixth in the list, while current Ferrari racer Sebastian Vettel was 10th and Felipe Massa was ranked 12th.

“We thought it was appropriate to remember some of the greats who have raced in Formula 1 for the Prancing Horse over the decades,” said F1 Racing Associate Editor James Roberts.

“This forms one of key features in a series of articles celebrating 70 years of Ferrari in the latest issue.”

Also included in F1 Racing's December issue is a feature on a significant Ferrari F1 car from the past six decades and the first in a new six-part series on the history of the Scuderia.

Plus Enzo Ferrari’s biographer Richard Williams explains the enduring appeal of the Maranello team.

Ferrari greatest driver vote top 10:

1. Michael Schumacher - 50.1%

2. Kimi Raikkonen - 12.4%

3. Gilles Villeneuve - 10.3%

4. Juan Manuel Fangio - 5.6%

5. Niki Lauda - 5.4%

6. Fernando Alonso - 5.3%

7. Nigel Mansell - 1.6%

8. Alain Prost - 1.4%

9. Alberto Ascari - 1.4%

10. Sebastian Vettel - 1.3%

Mercedes considering high-rake concept for 2018 F1 car

Mercedes considering high-rake concept for 2018 F1 car

Mercedes is considering switching to a high-rake concept with its Formula 1 car in 2018, as it bids to eradicate the 'diva' characteristics of its current machine.

The German car manufacturer has faced a tricky time to fully get on top of the balance of its long-wheelbase W08 throughout this season.

While it has worked brilliantly at some high-speed tracks like Silverstone and Monza, it has struggled at other venues with tighter corners – like Monaco, Hungary and Singapore.

Although some of that performance swing between tracks is explained by the car having a longer wheelbase than its closest rivals, the team thinks that other characteristics may have a bigger part to play in its performance.

One area being evaluated in the final races of the season is whether or not Mercedes should pursue the aero concept put to good use by Red Bull of a high rake car.

It was interesting to note that Mercedes was spotted making major changes to its suspension set-up in Brazil last weekend, which could have been related to trials of the high-rake concept.

Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes AMG F1 W08 Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes AMG F1 W08 Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W08

Ground effect

By running the front of the car low and the rear high, it is possible to create a form of ground effect through a combination of the front wing sealing the airflow and the diffuser performing better because there is more air flowing underneath it.

Getting the front of the car as low to the ground as possible is a challenge though, because the floor car bottom out around the 'tea-tray' area.

The arrival of titanium skid blocks in 2014 was partly motivated to deter teams from high rake approaches, but Red Bull has since been able to recover ground in this area.

It is understood that Mercedes has begun experiments with higher rake angles now that the championships are won, and it was noticeable that its car was seen sparking in Brazil as it floor touched the ground more than is normal.

Mercedes AMG F1 W08 diffuser detail Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, passes Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes AMG F1 W08, at the start Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes-Benz F1 W08  crosses the line to take the chequered flag and Second place

Wheelbase remains

One of the biggest concept differences between Ferrari and Mercedes this year has been the wheelbase of the car.

Mercedes has gone much longer with its W08, an approach that it felt would pay off over the course of the season despite it meaning its car would not be as well suited to tighter tracks

Despite the possible change to a high rake car, the Brackley-based team remains confident that the length of its car works well – which is why there is unlikely to be any significant change on this front for 2018.

Niki Lauda, Mercedes' non-executive chairman, told Gazzetta dello Sport last weekend that wheelbase was not a factor in its performance.

"The length was never a problem. It was aerodynamics," he said. "There have been times when the car behaved in a fantastic way, and other times not.

"We have not yet fully understood it and that is what we have to correct for 2018. The rules are not changing so, having a good starting point, it will be easier to solve certain troubles."

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff said recently that his team needed to ensure that any changes it made for next year must not sacrifice the strengths of the car.

"We would like to keep the characteristics of the diva that we like, but getting rid a little bit of the difficulties," he said.

"What you can see through the grid is that many people struggle in understanding why the car functions one day and not the other. We've seen it with our competitors as well.

"So, there is a car development process now to identify the root causes of why we struggle and try to avoid it with next year's car. Obviously we are quite far down the process of designing the car."

He added: "We don't believe that any of the characteristics on the more difficult days have anything to do with the longer wheelbase. We see with the Red Bull and Ferraris that they have good days and bad days."

Melbourne considered bold track tweak to boost overtaking

Melbourne considered bold track tweak to boost overtaking

Australian Grand Prix chiefs have decided against a bold plan to change the current Albert Park layout to help create another overtaking spot, after not being convinced it would benefit the racing.

Motorsport.com understands that the Australian Grand Prix Corporation investigated making a significant change to the Lakeside Drive part of the Melbourne circuit, replacing the fast Turn 11/12 complex with a 'stop' corner to create another passing opportunity.

The plan would have seen the profile of the back straight changed to make it longer and faster, leading into a hard braking zone and a tight left-hander.

With a new DRS zone in place, the idea was that it would create a new place to pass on the mostly-flowing layout.

However, it appears that the existing layout will remain unchanged in at least the short term.

The AGPC has confirmed that an investigation into making the changes yielded too few benefits to make it worthwhile, a view shared by FOM following discussions between the two parties.

As a result, the unique layout that has played host to Australia's round of the World Championship since 1996 will continue to be used for the foreseeable future.

"Like everything we do at the Australian Grand Prix Corporation, we give consideration from all angles," AGPC CEO Andrew Westacott told Motorsport.com. 

Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32 The action as seen from the air Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF70H

"We have an ethos of continuous improvement which included looking at any opportunities for track changes. In looking at these opportunities, we undertook review with relevant parties and nothing beneficial presented itself."

While the layout change won't be going ahead in the short term, there are plans to resurface the 22-year-old Albert Park roads in the works.

No strict deadline has been given for the resurfacing, although the AGPC has indicated that it's likely to be targeted "in the coming years".

As the Albert Park circuit is compiled almost entirely of public roads, even resurfacing works require significant and careful consideration from the AGPC as to limit disruption to day-to-day traffic.

Considerations over closing public roads is likely to have played a large part in the layout alteration investigation as well.

Melbourne and the Albert Park circuit have an ongoing agreement to host the Australian Grand Prix until at least 2023.

The opening round of the 2018 Formula 1 season will take place at the track between March 22-25.

ALONSO: THESE CARS ARE AMAZING TO DRIVE

WEC Testing

On the occasion of the official FIA WEC ‘Rookie’ test in Bahrain, the day after the final round of the 2017 season, one of the most experienced ‘rookies’ of them all successfully completed his first laps in a Le Mans Prototype.

Following a total of 113 laps (611 km) in the No.8 Toyota TS050 Hybrid, the two-time Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso – who has for several years expressed a strong interest in endurance racing and has indeed visited the WEC paddock more than once – pronounced himself very happy with the experience.

Alonso set a best lap of 1:43.013 which 0.9 down on the team’s regular driver Sebastien Buemi who set a benchmark time in a 10 lap stint ahead of the Spaniard’s run. The McLaren driver did more laps than any other driver on the day.

Toyota Motorsport technical boss Pascal Vasselon insisted that fast lap times were not the objective for Alonso, “We did not do any low-fuel run and we did not do any qualifying runs. There was no trophy today to win.

“We’ve done a bit more work with Fernando. After getting more familiar with the car this afternoon, he did some tyre testing,” added Vasselon.

DO_MX4tWkAE6wCt

Alonso summed up afterwards, “It was a great day. Testing an LMP1 car is always a nice thing for any racing driver because these cars are amazing to drive. They are very consistent throughout a stint which is a positive thing. I have wanted to test a car like this for a long time now and today I could achieve that so I am happy.”

After the test Alonso heads to the UAE where he will take part in next weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, the final race of the season and also the last race for the McLaren-Honda project.

In January Alonso will race a United Autosports entered Ligier LMP2 at the Daytona 24 Hours, which many believe is a prelude to a foray at this year’s Le Mans 24 Hours race with Toyota. The legendary endurance race does not clash with his Formula 1 commitments.

DO_MXMXWkAAc3sH

Alonso, who competed in this year’s Indianapolis 500, has set his sights on completing the so-called Triple Crown of motorsport.

The feat, only achieved by the late British driver Graham Hill, involves winning Indianapolis, The Le Mans 24 Hours sportscar car and the Formula One world championship.

Some consider the Triple Crown to be the Monaco Grand Prix, rather than the world championship, but Alonso has won both.

INSIDE LINE: WHAT NEXT FOR DANIEL RICCIARDO?

Daniel Ricciardo

Among silly-season commodities, perhaps none are hotter right now than Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo. Off contract at the end of 2018, with seats likely on the table at both Mercedes and Ferrari, the highly regarded Australian looks like he could have the pick of the litter when it comes to choosing his next team.

Who should it be? Well, let’s dive in and have a not-at-all-premature look…

Red Bull

If their current predicament is anything to go by, Red Bull will have a lot of convincing to do if they want Ricciardo to stick around much longer. They haven’t had a truly competitive car in four years now, and as good as their chassis usually is, it matters little when they’re continually saddled with unreliable, underpowered Renault engines. Also given the team’s current relationship with Renault, they could find themselves with a customer supply or even worse, Honda engines come 2019.

Conversely, if Renault do get their act together in time for next season, Ricciardo will be competing for a championship, and even with Max Verstappen providing stiff opposition that won’t be easy to walk away from, especially given the drinks company is the only professional racing outfit Ricciardo has ever really known (no, HRT doesn’t count). Still, that’s an almighty leap for a team that’s set to finish this season almost 300 points down in the championship.

Likelihood of staying: 15%

Mercedes

The reigning four-time world champions, the appeal for Ricciardo is fairly obvious, but this is a prospect just as appealing to Mercedes as it is to the Aussie, should Valtteri Bottas continue to struggle.

As comfortably as he slotted in to his new surroundings in 2017, Bottas has never managed to find another level as the season has gone on, and it’s telling that Lewis Hamilton has blitzed his way to a championship while the Finn has as many blown poles (two) as he does victories. Assuming the Mercedes brass is seeing what the rest of us are seeing, Ricciardo simply looks like a better driver, and you would think if they have the chance to get an upgrade, they’d go for it.

From Ricciardo’s POV, it would certainly make a ton of sense, although if there’s anything working against such a move, it would be his fit as a partner to Hamilton. Assuming he backs himself to challenge the Briton, he’d be butting heads with a driver who hasn’t gotten along with any teammate who has ever seriously threatened him, and that would be a completely new experience for the happy-go-lucky Australian. No, it probably doesn’t trump the appeal of getting in on Mercedes’ dominance, but it might be a factor should the Silver Arrows fail to maintain quite the same level in 2018.

Likelihood of joining: 35%

Ferrari

While Mercedes might have to do some soul-searching before replacing Bottas with Ricciardo, for Ferrari the move to replace Kimi Raikkonen should be a no-brainer – and what Ferrari wants, Ferrari usually gets.

Maybe it’s disinterest, maybe it’s age, but Raikkonen has shown since re-joining the Scuderia he is simply not up to the standard of a no. 2 driver, let alone contending for the championship in his own right. In Ricciardo, they’d be getting a driver more than up to the challenge, and one with a proven track-record of matching Vettel when it comes to performance on-track. In addition, it can’t be discounted the appeal of an ‘Italian’ driver at the Scuderia and, all things considered, Ricky-Ardo is the closest they can get.

Of course, they’ll need a strong car to keep-up with Mercedes, but given the auxiliary factors Ferrari can offer – more money, less PR commitments, and driving for the F1 equivalent of Real Madrid – their candidacy won’t be as completely dependent on performance as the other suitors. Assuming they do challenge for the title in 2018, the only potential negative is Sebastian Vettel jockeying for no. 1 status, but even that’s less of a concern seeing as Ricciardo has already partnered the German amicably in the past. As long as they don’t completely cock-up their 2018 car, they should be in pole position for the Aussie’s signature.

Likelihood of joining: 50%

NEW FORMULA 1 LOGO EXPECTED TO BE MADE OFFICIAL THIS WEEK

New-F1-logos.jpg

Formula 1 are on the verge of dropping the familiar and iconic logo, and replace it with a new version to be made public starting with the season finale Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Three trademark applications – as seen above – were last week registered by Formula One Licensing BV with the European Union Intellectual Property.

To understand as to why the logo was changed after the end of the 20th century, we have to dive back into the history of Formula 1. Through the seventies and eighties was becoming riding the wave of the global sporting boom, boosted by the advent of television coverage.

As Bernie Ecclestone took hold of Formula 1 in the nineties he started globalizing the sport and as the 20th century came to an end, F1 had become a worldwide business platform for major international corporations to promote their products and as a business-to-business networking opportunities.

And so it was decided that F1 needed a logo, which would signify the main ethos of the sport.

Thus modern F1 Logo was designed in early 2000 and ranks as one of the most iconic brands in sport. Cleverly incorporating the “F” in black, with the white number “1” sandwiched between the “F” and a bright red flash of “speed”.

This logo replaced one that referred to the FIA Formula 1 World Championship in a squarish format.

The three new logos are relatively conservative and set to become the symbol of Formula 1 in the new Liberty Media era, which to a large extents means dismantling much of what Ecclestone built in his long reign over the sport.

F1 commercial chief Sean Bratches said earlier this year, “There are four real things I am going to focus on. One is the brand. The brand is the entry-point for any company, any brand, any sport. And we are going to work to understand the brand.”

“We are going to polish it, we are going to elevate it. It is going to be really central to what we do. That will allow us to enter new market places. It will allow us to take out of the market place what we should on the commercial side from sponsors, from rights holders, to promoters.”

Which of the three newly registered versions will become the official logo of Formula 1 is not yet known, but all should be revealed in the build-up to the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix this week.

FIA_Formula_One_World_Championship_Logos-001.jpg

FELIPE MASSA – A STORY THAT IS UNIQUE IN F1 LORE

Felipe Massa of Brazil and Ferrari celebrates winning the Brazilian Formula One Grand Prix at the Autodromo Interlagos on October 22, 2006 in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

With his (second) home farewell now behind him and one more race to go, the time is nigh for Felipe Massa to finally close the curtains on his career in Formula 1 – and what a career it was.

With 11 wins (27th all-time), 16 poles (19th), and 41 podiums (21st) to his name, there’s no denying his place in F1 history, but perhaps more than any other modern driver, to reduce Massa to his results is to do him a grave injustice.

Since debuting as a 20-year-old in 2002 with Sauber, Massa has run into more obstacles than most of the grid combined, and it has been only through a singular perseverance and fighting spirit that he has been able to clear them. Indeed, looking back at his career, the highs and lows he’s had to deal with makes for one hell of a list:

massa-sauber

• After enduring an erratic rookie season, he was dropped by Sauber for 2003. Returning in 2004, he raced for another two seasons with the team before BMW bought them and brought in Nick Heidfeld to replace him 
  • Signing with Ferrari for 2006, he scored his first win at that year’s Turkish GP, but mostly spent the first two years playing second fiddle to Michael Schumacher and Kimi Raikkonen. In 2008 he surprised everyone when he out-performed the Finn, taking six wins, and would have won the title had Lewis Hamilton not passed Timo Glock on the last corner of the last lap of the last race 
  • In 2009, his season was cut short when he suffered a life-threatening injury in qualifying for the Hungarian GP, after a loose spring from the Brawn of Rubens Barrichello struck him in the head. He would sit out the remainder of the season 
  • Fit in time for the start of the 2010 season, he was partnered with Fernando Alonso, who was immediately installed as the team’s number one driver. Most infamously, this lead to Massa having to concede his lead in that year’s German GP to Alonso after ‘coded’ team orders from his engineer, Rob Smedley. He would remain win-less until being dropped by the team after the 2013 season 
  • Making his way to Williams for 2014, he was partnered with Valtteri Bottas, and largely held his own against the highly-regarded Finn, while also recording the team’s only pole to date in the V6-turbo era, at the 2014 Austrian GP 
  • In a decision that was perhaps not completely of his own volition, he announced his retirement at the end of the 2016 season, but was granted a reprieve after Bottas left for Mercedes, and Williams’ sponsors Martini required the team have a 25-or-older driver to partner newcomer Lance Stroll. 2017 has seen him comfortably out-pace the young Canadian, and yet at 36, he is once again hanging up his boots

felipe-massa-michael-schumacher

If you wanted to make a movie about an F1 personality, you couldn’t do it for Massa – you’d need at least a few seasons on television at least. That said, the standout for most people is undoubtedly the double-whammy of the 2008 title loss and 2009 injury.

It’s not even really an argument when discussing the worst heartbreaks in F1’s 67-year history – Massa takes the cake. On top of that, as gruesome as it was, his head injury is probably still underrated – as any boxer will tell you, it’s hard to come back from a ‘one-punch’ knockout, and those that do are rarely the same afterwards.

This handout picture by the Hungarian Ne

Despite it all, Massa has somehow maintained his easygoing demeanour, and taken his lumps with the sort of quiet grace rarely seen in any sportsmen, but especially F1 drivers. As such the reception he received in Brazil was completely unsurprising, and it’s clear the adoration of his fans is only matched by the respect of his peers.

If Abu Dhabi is to be the Brazilian’s last race, it will be an end to a story that is unique in F1 lore. The results say Massa will always be a nearly man, as famous for what he didn’t do as what he did, and yet it doesn’t matter.

Felipe Massa is a winner at life, and that is the only result that matters.

Massa Hamilton

Fernando-Alonso-Felipe-Massa

WW2Q3320

Felipe Massa Ferrari farewell with father

Jenson-Button-and-Felipe-Massa

nicolastodtf1grandprixitalymassa

Felipe Massa podium 2008 brazil interlagos

rubens barrichello felipe massa

felipemassamartinicelebratefelipemassahm0rvcil5ubx

Massa, Interlagos, Finla race,

Massa, Interlagos, Finla race,

Felipe Massa Ferrari

Felipe Massa Ferrari

Felipe Massa Ferrari

massa ricciardo+F1+Grand+Prix+Practice+jyqfA2-1IDLx

Fernando Alonso, Felipe Massa

HAMILTON: THE ONLY TEAMMATE I LEARNED FROM WAS ALONSO

Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton believes that his mental strength is what won him the 2017 Formula 1 World Championship, while taking a poke at Nico Rosberg and crediting Fernando Alonso as the only driver who taught him anything during his career at the pinnacle of the sport.

Asked in an interview with CNN what was the the main element that resulted in him overcoming Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel for this year’s title, Hamilton replied, “The mental side of things was key to this year. That really is the case for a lot of top athletes competing. It’s the smallest thing, we’re talking about small percentages. I think that’s really, for me, been the biggest difference between us.”

Hamilton was criticised when he departed to McLaren at the end of 2013 to join, the then unproven, Mercedes team. Since then, as a Silver Arrows driver, the Briton has added three world titles to the first one he won with the Woking outfit.

He explained, “I think I came to the team with a good energy but my work ethic is so much better today – so I would have applied that at the beginning.”

“I probably would have five championships right now, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. Losing the championship last year enabled me to be the driver and the man I am today.”

Asked if losing to Rosberg last year taught him anything, Hamilton replied swiftly, “No. Zero.”

And added, in reference to his first season in Formula 1 at McLaren alongside Fernando Alonso in 2007, “I’d say probably the only teammate I’ve ever really learned something from would have been Fernando… it was my first year in F1.”

“After that, I would say I was able to have the experience, so I never felt I was taking anything from another driver. I was just always trying to enhance and unlock my own abilities.”

Invariably the issue of surpassing Michael Schumacher’s myriad of records was brought up, to which Hamilton responded, “I’m not thinking about that. I can’t envisage me being around for seven but I also can’t say never.”

“You’ve just got to enjoy the ones you have … I can’t believe that I’ve got four. Of course I want to win more but if I don’t win another championship would that be the end of my life? No. I’m gonna do other great things.”

In the wake of claiming his fourth F1 championship title, at the Mexican Grand Prix, his current rivals were full of praise for his feat. A number of them rating Hamilton as one of the sport’s greatest drivers.

The praise did not fall on deaf ears, as Hamilton acknowledged, “The respect I have received from certain drivers is something I really, really appreciate because naturally you want to be respected by your peers… because I have that respect for other people that I race with.”

“To hear that reflected and reciprocated, that’s a great feeling,” admitted Hamilton.

Ferrari thwart Red Bull’s engine protest

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Maurizio_Arrivabene-700x367.jpg

Red Bull have reportedly made another effort to prevent the three-engine limit for the 2018 season from being implemented, but Ferrari have failed to give their support to the plan.

According to Autosport sources, Red Bull boss Christian Horner – a strong opponent of the decision to implement penalties after three power unit elements are used (one fewer than this season) – brought up the issue once again at the latest Strategy Group meeting before the Brazilian Grand Prix.

Horner was hoping to get the support of everyone in order for the protest to gather momentum, but stopping that from happening was Ferrari as they have already spent a lot of time researching and developing their 2018 engines with the new rules in mind.

Grid penalties for taking on new engine part has already been heavily criticised with a four-engine season limit and there are genuine concerns that a reduction in the pool of power unit parts will lead to cars not going out on track in order to save on mileage.

Horner was hoping at this late stage of the season that every team would be opposed to the new regulation after experiencing the issue for themselves, but that has not proven to be the case.

"I tried to get it changed at an earlier meeting in the year, but there was no support for it,” Horner said back at the Italian Grand Prix..

“I would hope that there would now be a different outcome, with teams staring down the barrel of further penalties between now and the end of the year."

Schumacher's final Monaco winner sells for over $7.5 million

Schumacher's final Monaco winner sells for over $7.5 million

Michael Schumacher's final Monaco Grand Prix-winning Ferrari has collected $7,504,000 at an auction in New York, making it the most valuable modern era F1 car ever sold at auction.

Chassis #211, the same F2001 that took the German to the fourth of his seven World Championships, was auctioned off at the Sotheby's Contemporary Art Evening Sale in Manhattan for the eye-watering price tag, a record for modern F1 machinery.

A portion of proceeds from the sale will be donated by the former owner to Michael Schumacher’s Keep Fighting Foundation.

The car is not only famous for being Schumacher's final Monaco winner, but also the car in which he won the 2001 Hungarian GP, the race that clinched him that fourth title.

f1-ferrari-f2001-at-sothebys-new-york-2017-ferrari-f2001-of-michael-schumacher.jpg Steering wheel of the Ferrari F2001 Michael Schumacher, Ferrari F2001

He won nine races in total during the 2001 season, securing a second consecutive title for Ferrari with nearly twice as many points as McLaren driver David Coulthard, who finished the season in second.

Chassis #211 was sold as part of a $310.2m worth of auctions at the Sotheby's sale, with 96 per cent of lots finding a buyer.

Its $7m price tag is well over the $4m that it was expected to fetch.

Pirelli: New wet tyre won't be ready for start of 2018

Pirelli: New wet tyre won't be ready for start of 2018

Pirelli is developing a new wet Formula 1 tyre it would need to lobby the FIA to introduce midway through 2018, as it will not be homologated in time for the opening grand prix.

Normally, the rules prevent the official tyre supplier from modifying its products within a season.

Pirelli held two dedicated wet tyre tests in 2017, with Red Bull running at Paul Ricard in June, and McLaren at Magny-Cours in July - but it has nevertheless had limited opportunity to develop its products.

“We will keep two wet compounds for 2018,” said Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola. “We have a softer version and a harder version, and we decided for each event which of the two compounds we want to bring. We will continue with this approach.

“We are developing a new wet tyre. We did a few tests this year, but we need to make some further development before changing the current one.

"So we have some ideas we are testing – more than testing, we are making some simulations. It’s not for next season, because we have to homologate the tyre by December 1st.”

Isola is hoping that, if the tyre is proven in the course of 2018, the FIA will allow its introduction on safety grounds.

“In my opinion, if we find during the season a wet-weather tyre that is a big improvement compared to the current one, I would ask Charlie [Whiting] to consider the introduction of a new wet tyre during the season.

“For me, it’s a nonsense that if you have a better product available for the wet, where it’s a matter of safety and so on, why we shouldn’t introduce it, considering that at the end of the day all the teams have the same problem? We’re not making a special tyre for anybody.

“I can understand the rule on the slick, on the dry tyre, because you can change the balance inside the championship, you can give an advantage to one team or the other.

"But if we are talking about wet tyres or intermediates, which we don’t use very often during the season, if we have a real improvement we should ask, at least, and then we’ll see what happens.”

Prototype intermediates

Sean Gelael, Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12

Pirelli was able to try a 2018 prototype “black” intermediate tyre in FP1 at the US GP, although the track dried quickly.

The company was hoping to get more running with it in Brazil, and prototypes were mounted for all cars in anticipation of rain. However, Friday turned out to be dry – so the tyres had to be scrapped.

“We were able to test the new intermediates in Austin,” said Isola. “It’s a softer compound, but same construction.

"It was in drying conditions, so not really on a wet track. The result was, let’s say, in line with our expectations – warm-up was better, grip was better, but the result is that the compound is much softer than we were expecting.

“The gap between the current intermediate and the prototype is bigger than what we expecting.

"In Mexico we decided not to fit the tyre because there was no chance of rain on Friday. We fitted the tyre [in Brazil], but unfortunately FP1 and FP2 were dry.”

Brendon Hartley will maintain Porsche ties alongside Toro Rosso F1

7d53ba09d957db8ba4426426802b3b0c.jpg

Porsche will maintain a contractual relationship with Brendon Hartley even after he moves into Formula 1 with Toro Rosso full-time in 2018.

Hartley has been a Porsche LMP1 driver in the World Endurance Championship since 2014, winning the drivers' title on two occasions and scoring an overall win in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

He sought alternative employment when Porsche announced the closure of its LMP1 programme, and after coming close to a Ganassi IndyCar deal ended up making a shock F1 debut with Toro Rosso that has led to a full season chance next year.

Asked during Porsche LMP1 team's farewell WEC weekend in Bahrain whether the 2018 Toro Rosso deal affected Hartley's status with Porsche, team principal Andreas Seidl told Autosport: "Not really. Obviously we will put some limitations in terms of what he can do for us, because he will have quite a busy schedule.

"But with the history we have built together, we definitely want to continue.

"The programme within Porsche motorsport is huge, and there will be plenty of opportunities also for Brendon within the Porsche family also in the next years."

51598e704292845ba591f5f5c08bbe8a.jpg

While its LMP1 programme folded in favour of a Formula E entry slated for 2019-20, Porsche will retain a presence in the WEC through its GT programme. It also fields works GT entries in the US-based IMSA SportsCar Championship.

Asked whether Hartley could appear for Porsche in GT racing, Seidl said: "Yeah, or using him in tribute stuff with the 919 Hybrid and so on."

He explained Hartley would have the same status as fellow Porsche LMP1 drivers Andre Lotterer and Neel Jani, who will remain "under contract as works drivers" while racing for Techeetah and Dragon respectively in FE.

Hartley said he has not yet "had the chance to think about" any sportscar outings alongside his F1 commitments.

Asked whether he was interested in continuing with a Porsche racing programme too, he said: "100%, but I don't want to comment. First year in F1 there's going to be a lot for me to learn.

"I would race every weekend of the year if I could but F1 is the priority."