Formula 1 - 2017

Sebastian Vettel: Stroll Malaysian GP F1 clash was 'unnecessary'

32d399d0815faa5fac4bbe234cd5ad5a.jpg

Sebastian Vettel said his clash with Lance Stroll after the finish of Formula 1's Malaysian Grand Prix was "completely unnecessary".

The Ferrari driver had to get a lift back to the pits from the Sauber of Pascal Wehrlein after his left-rear corner suffered severe damage when he tried to go around the outside of Stroll's Williams at Turn 5, as the rookie moved off the racing line to pick up rubber on his tyres during the slow-down lap.

The stewards decided to take no further action on the coming together, saying that neither driver was at fault.

"I went on the outside to pick up a bit of rubber - I think Lance wasn't looking and wanted to do the same, but that was too late, I was there already and we had contact," Vettel told TV crews straight after the race, where he finished fourth having started at the back of the grid.

"That's completely unnecessary. I think he just didn't look and then decided to pick up some rubber.

"It's not my fault if somebody decides to pick up rubber and hit my car."

Stroll, who finished eighth for Williams, believed that it was unintentional from both drivers.

"It was the in-lap, I was just driving very slowly back into the pitlane," he said.

"Just a very strange incident. The race wasn't going on so it wasn't intentional from either of us."

Vettel said he enjoyed coming through the field in the opening laps, and he believes his pace proved that he could have beaten Max Verstappen to victory if his weekend had not been disrupted by the engine problems that prevented him from setting a time in qualifying.

"We have a very quick car, and if we start ahead, we win the race," he added.

"That didn't happen today - we were the quickest car for the majority of the race, but we had to start last.

"It was more entertaining, the first couple of laps in particular."

Vettel's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen didn't even start the race, being forced to give up his front-row starting spot on the dummy grid.

His car was pushed to the garage with an apparent turbo problem, and it couldn't be repaired in time.

"Obviously we had some issue, I don't what it is exactly, I don't think any of us know right now," said Raikkonen.

"It's far from perfect, but it's one of those things that happens sometimes.

"Impossible to say but I'm pretty certain I would have had a very good car today, but we didn't go far enough - where we would end up we'll never know."

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Formula 1 - 2017 - Why The Hell Not! Yeah, yeah.... @OZCUBAN will no doubt be saying "I told you so" and I really was going to leave Formula 1 at 2016 for at least a year but I figured being

Ugh.  Long long day here.  3 flights followed by a 4 hour drive home and 2 near crashes on the way home.  Love it when the idiots close down one lane of the interstate, back traffic way behind the lan

Hi all. Just advising you all, in a few hours, I'll cease posting for a couple weeks as I am off on break with my son being school holidays here. I most likely won't post anything as the first pa

Stoffel Vandoorne hails P7 in Malaysia his 'best drive in Formula 1'

jm1701oc249.jpg

McLaren's Stoffel Vandoorne has hailed his seventh place finish in the Malaysian Grand Prix his "best drive" to date, having only lost one position on where he started, thanks to a charging Sebastian Vettel.

The Belgian rookie qualified seventh, but with Kimi Räikkönen failing to start the race, he moved up to sixth. During the start he got up to a high of fifth behind the two Red Bulls and Mercedes cars, before falling back as McLaren-Honda's straight-line speed deficit cost him on Sepang's long straights.

"I can definitely say that, for me, that was my best drive in Formula 1 until now," described Vandoorne.

"To finish seventh on the circuit like this, and being very quick all weekend, to qualify seventh, we thought it was going to be very difficult today, and we had a fantastic race.

"I got a great, great start – and then we knew it was going to be difficult to keep the Force Indias and Williams' behind, but [of those] only [Sergio] Perez came through.

"We pushed like crazy, lap after lap, trying to manage the fuel and tyres at the same time. Tough conditions out there, but we managed the gap with Lance very well, so extremely satisfied with seventh."

Vandoorne's six points moves him up to 14th in the standings, two places ahead of team-mate Fernando Alonso.

"The last races have been very, very good as well for me,” he added. "I’m definitely working hard with the team, putting the pressure on [Alonso], and it’s good for the team spirit."

MALLYA GETS BAIL AFTER ARREST FOR ALLEGED MONEY-LAUNDERING

Vijay Mallya

The Indian government has brought a new money-laundering charge against prominent Indian tycoon and Formula 1 team owner Vijay Mallya who is fighting extradition from Britain.

Britain’s Crown Prosecution Service said Mallya was re-arrested and appeared in court Tuesday and was released on bail. He is due back in court on 4 December for an extradition hearing expected to last eight days.

Mallya is wanted in India to answer money-laundering charges and bank demands that he repay more than 1 billion dollars in outstanding loans to his defunct airline.

Mallya left India in March 2016 owing more than $1 billion after defaulting on loan payments to state-owned banks and allegedly misusing the funds.

The flamboyant financier, who co-owns Formula One team Force India, was expected to appear in a London courtroom later on Tuesday to face additional charges.

Before his arrest on the day, Mallya was out on bail after being arrested by police in April following an extradition request from India in early February.

Indian investigators demanded the 61-year-old be brought home to face fraud charges related to the bank defaults.

Mallya insisted he was innocent and denied fleeing the charges in his homeland, following the legal hearing in London in June.

“I deny all allegations that have been made and I will continue to deny them,” he said outside court. “I have not eluded any court. If it is my lawful duty to be here, I’m happy to be here. I’ve given enough evidence to prove my case.”

Known for his lavish lifestyle, Mallya made Kingfisher beer a global brand and ran a now-defunct airline with the same name.

Mallya stepped down as the director of the Indian Premier League cricket team Royal Challengers Bangalore last year.

His financial dealings are being investigated by the federal Central Bureau of Investigation and the Enforcement Directorate, a financial crimes agency.

Mallya was once known as the “King of Good Times” but dropped off India’s most wealthy list in 2014, engulfed by the massive debts of his grounded carrier Kingfisher Airlines.

He has been living in a sprawling $15 million (13 million euro) mansion in southeast England but has denied absconding.

FERRARI: THE GEARBOX USED IN MALAYSIA IS STILL AVAILABLE

Sebastian Vettel

Formula 1 title contender Sebastian Vettel was given some good news on Wednesday ahead of the weekend at Suzuka, after his Ferrari team ruled out a gearbox change that would have incurred a grid penalty for the Japanese Grand Prix.

The German, a four-time world champion, is 34 points behind Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton with five races remaining, including Sunday’s at Suzuka.

The gearbox scare followed a bizarre incident after last Sunday’s Malaysian Grand Prix when his car was hit from behind by Canadian Lance Stroll’s Williams on the post-race slowing down lap. The impact wrecked the car’s rear suspension.

A change of gearbox would have meant a five place grid penalty for a race that Vettel needs to win, but Ferrari gave the all-clear after a factory inspection.

MERCEDES HUNT SPEED AS FERRARI NEED TO BOUNCE BACK IN JAPAN

Lewis Vettel, Sebastian Vettel-001

Formula 1 world championship leader Lewis Hamilton and his Mercedes team will be looking for apparent lost speed while Ferrari need to bounce back as the season wraps up its Asian leg in Japan this weekend at the iconic Suzuka circuit.

Hamilton is thankful to have extended his advantage over Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel to 34 points with five races remaining but he is also conscious that there is work to be done.

Mercedes were slower than Ferrari and Red Bull for the second successive race in Malaysia after similarly struggling for pace in Singapore.

That represented unfamiliar territory for the reigning champions, even if they came away with a tidy points haul as Ferrari self-destructed.

Hamilton has won twice before at Suzuka, and three times in Japan when Fuji is included in the reckoning, while Mercedes are unbeaten there in three years.

On paper it should suit them again, but there is also an air of uncertainty with Red Bull very much in the mix after Max Verstappen’s victory at the Malaysian Grand Prix.

“There are a lot of question marks generally which we need to assess,” said Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff. “I think we should have been quicker than we were (in Malaysia) but Suzuka should be much more in the window.”

“I’m very much looking forward to Suzuka to see how the car behaves there because it should be completely different,” added Wolff

Last year, Hamilton arrived in Japan ill at ease and still feeling the agony of an engine failure at Sepang while leading from pole position — a blow that ultimately cost him the championship.

He played around on Snapchat and then moodily refused questions from ‘disrespectful’ media who criticised his behaviour.

This time he is riding a run of good fortune, with an opening lap crash for Vettel in Singapore dealing the German a significant setback in a race that the Briton went on to win.

In Malaysia he finished second after his rival raced to fourth place from last on the grid due to a power unit problem in qualifying.

Vettel had a new engine for Sepang and the four times winner in Japan will expect to be quick on Sunday, with fears for his car’s gearbox subsiding since he and Williams driver Lance Stroll collided on the post-race slowing down lap.

“It’s been a difficult weekend, but nevertheless the speed is there,” said the four-time champion, who has four wins this year to Hamilton’s seven.

But both he and Hamilton also have to contend with a resurgent Red Bull.

“The Red Bulls are right in it now,” said former racer and television commentator Martin Brundle. “You think of Suzuka, it’s just one corner after another. You always want power but they should be mighty in Suzuka, the Red Bulls.”

Sunday’s race will also be Honda’s last home grand prix as power unit suppliers to McLaren, with the Japanese manufacturer set to tie up with Toro Rosso next year.

The Woking-based team head into the weekend having chalked up their first consecutive points finishes of the season.

A third race in the points this weekend, at a track owned by Honda, will see McLaren, who are switching to Renault power next year, equal their best successive run of top-10 finishes since joining forces with the Japanese firm.

Sergio Marchionne makes organisational changes following Malaysia gremlins

marchionne-jm1615my101.jpg

Following Ferrari's engine issues at last weekend's Malaysian Grand Prix, Sergio Marchionne has made changes to the team in an attempt to improve the Scuderia's "quality department".

The race at the Sepang International Circuit was set to be one that would favour Ferrari, with both Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen showing consistent pace at the front of the pack in practice. 

A seemingly straightforward front-row lockout however, fell apart when Vettel ran into a turbo issue in qualifying, forcing him to start Sunday's race from the pack of the pack in 20th place while Raikkonen qualified in second. 

An engine issue for Raikkonen pre-race removed Ferrari from contention for the race win, letting a seemingly secure fifth win of the season slip out of grasp. Vettel delivered under the pressure to finish fourth, however, with Lewis Hamilton securing a second place finish, the gap between the title rivals has been extented in the Drivers' Championship.

"Yesterday, both Ferraris could have won the race," said Marchionne, the President of Ferrari. "That's a fact. It could have also been the same at Singapore, that's another fact.

"It's also a fact that we've got some issues with our power units because we have a young team, but also because the quality of the components is not at the right level for a race car.

We are intervening and we are working on it.

"It's almost fortunate we haven't had that problem until the Malaysian GP. Now we're working on the quality department and making some organisational changes," he added, suggesting the outcome of the weekend was a result of inexperience in Ferrari's engine department.

"Having this kind of problem during the race make us angry. That's not a big problem if this kind of issue appears in our factory, but it's really ugly when you're in second place on the grid and you can't start the race."

As a result of a disappointing weekend in Malaysia, Ferrari is now 118 points adrift of Mercedes in the Constructors' Championship while Hamilton extended his lead over Vettel in the Drivers' Championship to 34 points with five races remaining. 

Robert Kubica set to test for Williams after Japanese Grand Prix

Kubica-jm1702au05.jpg

Robert Kubica is set to undertake two days of testing with Williams in a bid to return to Formula 1 in 2018.

Kubica drove in F1 from 2006-2010 and was set to compete in the 2011 season for Lotus-Renault. A pre-season rally accident however, left the Polish racer with severe injuries and limited movement in his right arm, meaning that he has been absent from the grid for seven years.

Throughout the summer, Kubica undertook testing for Renault, driving a Lotus E20 at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit, Paul Ricard and at the Goodwood Festival of Speed before driving this season's R.S.17 at F1's in-season test at the Hunagroring. 

With Renault recently signing Carlos Sainz Jr for 2018, a return to the Estone-based outfit has been ruled out and the 32 year old is now in the frame for a drive with Williams next season to replace the ageing Felipe Massa.

Kubica is said to have two testing days with the team after the Japanese Grand Prix, the first of which will be at Silverstone before heading to the Hungaroring for an assessment test, although Williams has refused to comment.

At the second test in Hungary, the team will conduct two days of running, with Kubica driving on one of the days and reserve driver Paul di Resta driving on the other, acting as a benchmark to test Kubica's pace and performance. 

Di Resta is also said to be in the frame for a drive with Williams in 2018 after impressing the team at this season's Hungarian Grand Prix where he stepped in for an unwell Massa, qualifying only 0.7 seconds behind Lance Stroll despite having no experience of driving the 2017 FW40 prior to that session.

Kubica's arm injury from his 2011 accident is one of the biggest concerns that is preventing a full-time return to a Formula 1 cockpit, with the aggressive aerodynamics of the 2017 cars making the machines more demanding to drive, explaining why extensive testing is needed before a decision can be made regarding his future. 

Fernando Alonso hoping to 'turn our fortunes around' at Honda's home circuit

jm1728se48.jpg

Fernando Alonso says he is hoping to “turn his fortunes around” at this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix, home of McLaren's power unit partner Honda, after a handful of difficult events.

Alonso qualified inside the top 10 in Singapore but was caught up in the first lap melee, a situation which the Spaniard felt cost him a shot at a podium finish, as Stoffel Vandoorne went on to take seventh.

Vandoorne again took seventh in Malaysia, but Alonso missed out on a points finish, and dropped behind his team-mate in the standings as a result.

Alonso is hopeful to address the situation at Suzuka this weekend, the home circuit for McLaren's outgoing engine supplier Honda.

“I’ve had a couple of difficult races recently, so I’m looking forward to getting back on track and working with my engineers to turn our fortunes around,” he said.

“I feel that we’ve definitely had the pace there in the car – and Stoffel has been able to demonstrate what we’re capable of.

“However, bad luck and struggles in traffic have meant we haven’t been able to score the points we’d hoped for on my side.

“Both of us will be pushing hard for the Japanese contingent of our team, our partners and of course our fans, and I hope we can finally show the progress we’re making with our car.”

Vandoorne added that his confidence has been lifted by his back-to-back seventh-place finishes after a challenging start to his full-time Formula 1 career.

“For me, Singapore and Malaysia were a real boost, and we were really able to get on top of every session and maximise what we had available in our package,” said Vandoorne.

“We know there has been potential all season, but for one reason or another we weren’t able to show it – so having two strong results back-to-back has been really encouraging and I’m keen to see how we will do in Japan.”

ESPN replaces NBC as Formula 1's US broadcaster

jm1709ju538.jpg

ESPN will take over as Formula 1's broadcast partner in the United States, replacing NBC which has held the rights since the 2013 season.

NBC said in a statement that it chose not to renew its deal with the sport's owners, Liberty Media, because the broadcaster didn't want to "compete" against the rights holder for viewers – confirming speculation that Liberty Media is adding clauses to new broadcast contracts as it plans to launch its own OTT [Over The Top] online streaming service.

"Although we take great pride in having grown Formula 1's visibility and viewership since we became its exclusive U.S. media rights holder in 2013, this will be our last season with the series," the NBC Sports Group said in a statement.

"In this case, we chose not to enter into a new agreement in which the rights holder itself competes with us and our distribution partners. We wish the new owners of F1 well."

ESPN has signed a multi-year deal to show F1 in the US across its ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC channels – with all 21 races to be broadcast live.

"ESPN has had a long commitment to motorsports, and Formula 1 is a crown jewel in the sport," Burke Magnus, ESPN executive vice-president of programming and scheduling said.

"There are many passionate Formula 1 fans in the U.S. and we look forward to bringing the pageantry, spectacle and excitement of F1 to viewers across the ESPN platform."

The broadcaster confirmed it will show all practice, qualifying and races, to total more than 125 hours of programming during the season.

"We are excited about the return of the world's foremost motor racing platform to the ABC and ESPN platforms," added F1 managing director Sean Bratches.

"ABC's Wide World of Sports first started airing live grands prix in the early 1960's and this linear and digital partnership with ESPN represents a significant step forward in achieving Formula 1's aim of broadening the sport's appeal.

"The U.S. market is a very important growth opportunity for Formula 1 and we are looking forward to working with ESPN to ignite the growing fan interest."

• Like 1

WOLFF: I’M WORRIED BECAUSE I WANT VALTTERI TO DO WELL

Wolff, bottas, lauda

Valterri Bottas is enduring a below par second half to the season, his form dipping alarmingly, to the point that even his Mercedes boss Toto Wolff is concerned about the driver he once managed.

Bottas has been comprehensively overshadowed by teammate Lewis Hamilton, particularly in the last four races since the return to action after the Formula 1 summer break.

The Finn has been a half second or more shy of Hamilton in qualifying since the Belgian Grand Prix. More recently at the Malaysian Grand Prix, by hos own admission, he was out of sorts and struggling.

Wolff revealed ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix weekend, “I’m worried because I want Valtteri to do well, everyone wants Valtteri to do well.”

“Valtteri seems to struggle more in getting the car in the sweet spot than Lewis. There are so many factors that play a role, but I have no doubt his intelligence will put the jigsaw together.”

“We have many more races to do it together and undo the problem. Very good drivers are able to dig themselves out of a difficult situation and I have no doubt he will do that.”

“Somebody clever said: smooth seas don’t make tough sailors. If he can dig himself out of his current under-performance, then he is going to come out much stronger.”

“We have seen very good performances from him this year and he had a dip in form in the last races. But nobody is doubting Valtteri.”

“We have a capricious car. It has a very narrow operating window with the tyres, where the tyres generate optimum grip. And dipping in and out of the window is the fundamental story of 2017 for us.”

“Driving style plays a role. Lewis was able to better adapt to the problem than Valtteri. But changing driving style is not something that comes easy to anybody,” added Wolff.

MAGNUSSEN: I HAVE A LOT OF RESPECT FOR MY COLLEAGUES

Kevin Magnussen

Kevin Magnussen’s image as the bad boy of Formula 1 does not concern him as he believes that fans want to see drivers race hard, while insisting that he respects his rivals on the grid.

At the Hungarian Grand Prix, Haas driver Magnussen used questionable tactics while racing with Nico Hulkenberg. The Renault driver took issue with the Dane and told him off during the post race interviews in the media pen to which he famously told the German to: Suck my b@lls.”

Most recently, at the Malaysian Grand Prix, he appeared deliberately to force Fernando Alonso’s McLaren off the track in Turn 1. The move angered the Spaniard who called him an “idiot” and agreed with Hulkenberg that Magnussen is one of the sport’s most unsporting drivers.

Speaking about his tactics to Sport Bild ahead of the Japanese Grand Prix, Magnussen said, “I do not want to see death or injuries, but I want the fans to think of us Formula 1 pilots as heroes. I’m a racing fan, I grew up with a Formula 1 father. He showed me early recordings of Formula 1 races, even accidents. They are all part of the sport.”

Last year Magnussen, driving for Renault at the time, crashed heavily at Eau Rouge during the Belgian Grand Prix, but was able to walk away unscathed, “I hit the wall at over 250 kph and yet nothing happened to me. That gave me a lot of confidence, also trust in the safety of the cars. I have a lot of respect for my colleagues. We risk our lives, that’s for sure, because we are chasing our dream. People must not think that driving on the highway is more dangerous than what we do.”

As for his under-fire tactics, Magnussen said, “We drivers can make the Formula 1 even cooler. On the track we still have too many rules. We need clear direction, but not rules that question every single move on track. The fact that you are not allowed to push anyone off the track on a straight is, of course, reasonable.”

“But there is still a lot of stuff that is complete nonsense. You should just let us fight our duels on the track,” added Magnussen suggesting that he has no plan to change his style.

Of Alonso’s reaction, Haas team chief Guenther Steiner said after the race at Sepang, “I think Alonso is used [to] everybody just letting him by because he’s a very charismatic, very good driver, very vocal, very tough guy.”

“Somebody will knock him off like everybody has been knocked off at some stage in life. I think it’s nothing more. They both pushed to the limit and that is what people want to see. They didn’t run into each other so it’s OK.”

As for Magnussen’s villain image, Steanier said, “To get any standing you need to go through rough patches. You cannot say: now I am here and everyone else has to move. You need to have the respect. If you always give in… That is what we are now, everyone just expects to drive past and you need to stand up as long as you are not a bully.”

“I think once all these drivers get better they fight their corner and their space and I think it’s quite natural to do that. At first you can get a bad reputation and then you can get a good one,” added Steiner.

Nico Rosberg joins Sky punditry team for Japanese GP

jm1728my853.jpg

Nico Rosberg will join the Sky Sports pundit team for this weekend's Japanese Grand Prix, the reigning Formula 1 world champion has confirmed.

Rosberg retired from the sport after claiming his maiden F1 title last year, beating then Mercedes team-mate Lewis Hamilton during a thrilling Abu Dhabi final.

The German's last victory in the sport came at the Japanese GP where he beat Max Verstappen over the line in a closely fought battle.

"I am thrilled to confirm I will be joining the Sky F1 team this weekend in Japan," Rosberg said.

"Since my retirement last year I have only attended a few Grands Prix so I am pleased to return to the fold.

"In 2016 I had a great win at this track, so I am looking forward to share my insights and memories of Suzuka.

"I love this race track and the fans are also amazing. It will be great to have the opportunity to thank the Japanese fans for their wonderful support over the years."

Sky's broadcast includes the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy.

The future of Max Verstappen

Image result for Max Verstappen 2017

It was clear many years ago that Max Verstappen was something special, even before he had sat in an actual racing car. His progress through karting was impressive and in 2014 Red Bull and Mercedes fought over the young Formula 3 driver. Red Bull won because it was able to offer him an F1 drive, while Mercedes could only agree to put him into its young driver programme. Verstappen, and his dad Jos, who had his F1 career blighted by wrong career decisions, decided that it was better to be racing, adding to Max’s reputation and value. That was the right decision and early in 2016 Red Bull switched him from Scuderia Toro Rosso to Red Bull Racing itself, as it considered him a better bet than Daniil Kvyat. Max won on his debut with the team in Spain. It was a fortunate victory because the two Mercedes collided, but it was a win nonetheless. The victory broke a string of different records, making him the youngest F1 winner ever (at 18 years and 228 days), the youngest man ever on a podium, the first Dutchman to win a Grand Prix and the first F1 driver born in the 1990s to become a winner. This year Max has been unlucky and frustrated but it all came together in Malaysia, where he was able to outrun Lewis Hamilton and win, but he wasn’t really satisfied because he knew that if the two Ferraris had not had troubles he would not have won his second victory. He was asked on Saturday about his best moment in racing and said that it was still when he became the World KZ Kart Champion in 2013 at Varennes in France.

“It still is,” he said on Sunday.

So the win in Malaysia did not feel better than that karting victory?

“No,” he said. “Because it doesn’t feel like that…”

Max is remarkable for his age and he is a key player for the future of Formula 1 because he is getting the attention of his own age group, something which the older stars Kimi Raikkonen (37), Fernando Alonso (36), Lewis Hamilton (31), Sebastian Vettel (30) and Daniel Ricciardo (28) have failed to do. There is some excitement in F1 circles about the new generation led by Max, but including Esteban Ocon (21), Pascal Wehrlein (soon to be 23), Lance Stroll (19) and Carlos Sainz (23). They will soon be joined by Charles Leclerc (who will be 20 this month) and, probably, Antonio Giovinazzi (23).

Verstappen has a contract with Red Bull in 2018, but there are performance clauses that Red Bull Racing might not be able to achieve, if that is the case then Max could come onto the market. He seems to be a shoe-in at Mercedes, where Valtteri Bottas is one a one-year contract, but he might also go to Ferrari, where Kimi Raikkonen is also on a one-year deal. Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton are currently the big cheeses of F1, but having Verstappen alongside one or the other could be destabilising. Hamilton seems to be more serene about his team-mates, while Vettel seems a little more insecure in this respect, preferring Raikkonen, who is no great threat these days.

The decision will not be just about money. The Verstappens know that there will be plenty of rewards in the years ahead and so they are looking for the best performance to esnure that Max can win and add to his value – because he likes winning. Red Bull Racing cannot do a great deal to keep Verstappen, based on current performance and the fact that Renault has it own factory team but in Ricciardo they have a solid and very good racer and there will be no shortage of talented youngsters on offer if Max moves on.

Malaysia performance a 'wake-up call' for Renault - Bob Bell

jm1701oc383.jpg

Renault technical director Bob Bell has described the Malaysian Grand Prix as a "wake-up call" for the French team, after they failed to score any points, with Nico Hulkenberg finishing a disappointing 16th behind team-mate Jolyon Palmer.

Although Hulkenberg qualified eighth and Palmer 12th, the pair failed to make progress in the race and gradually fell back as those around them were quicker in race-trim, whilst two spins compounded a disappointing race for Palmer.

"It came as a wake-up call," said Bell. "We realised on Friday the car wasn't on the pace as both drivers weren't happy with the balance.

"We were encouraged that we made some changes before qualifying and it was there or thereabouts, but lots of things went wrong in the race, most notably at the start and thereon it was difficult to close the gap back.

"It's complex to analyse but, with decent starts and in maximising opportunities points would always have been possible. We will use lessons learnt to do better in Suzuka."

Bell is expecting a better weekend in Japan at a track that is similar to ones they've scored well at this season so far.

"The circuit is a mix of low and high-speed corners and frequent changes of direction such as the S bends," explained Bell.

"It should suit the R.S.17; speed-wise it's a bit like Spa and Silverstone where we went well. We head to Japan feeling hungry and positive, and we don't go with many major concerns.

"We need to keep working on our reliability as we have the pace in the car to meet our objectives, it's more a case of getting the car across the line with both drivers."

Worst circuits behind Haas as they target seventh place

jm1701oc390.jpg

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner says their worst circuits are now behind them and they can focus on finishing seventh in the Constructors' Standings – which would be one place higher than they finished in their debut season.

The American outfit currently sits eighth, 14 points ahead of McLaren, but more importantly just five behind Renault and a further ten behind Toro Rosso in sixth.

"For sure, we try to finish seventh," said Steiner. "We stopped developing the ‘17 car quite a while ago to concentrate on next year’s car. I think at this moment in time we would be happy with that.

Related: Click here for the full 2017 Formula 1 World Championship Constructors' Standings

"We need to focus and stay stable year-to-year, not just one year up and down because then you create a wave effect and you never get a grip of what you’re doing."

With development focus now on next year's car and only a few small upgrades coming for the remaining five races, Steiner is hopeful the move away from high-downforce circuits will provide a boost and allow the team to score well.

"We try to do our best. We will bring a few more developments, but they are small. The last one comes in Austin. Hopefully, we can score some points.

"I hope also that our worst circuits are behind us, like the slow-speed, high-downforce ones. Our car doesn’t like them. It’s tough in the midfield."

• Like 1

GASLY: I WANT TO FINISH THE YEAR IN FORMULA 1

Pierre Gasly

Pierre Gasly made his Formula 1 debut at the Malaysian Grand Prix, and now that he has had a taste of the big time the young Frenchman is keen to see out the season with Toro Rosso.

Gasly was unexpectedly drafted into the Red Bull junior team in place of under-performing Daniel Kvyat. The sport’s latest rookie did all that was asked of him in practice and qualifying.

In the race, despite a water bottle with a mind of its own and an uncomfortable seat he soldiered on to finish 14th, giving a good account of himself in the process. Now the bug has bitten!

Gasly told F1i, “If I can finish the year in F1, I will finish the year in F1. It’s my final target, it’s exactly where I want to be – in Formula 1. It would be really useful experience. I keep learning in the car and feeling more confident so every lap I can get with the team will be useful for the future.”

Kvyat remains part of the Red Bull “family” and right now it is not known if the Russian will return to action when the Gasly evaluation, for a race seat with Toro Rosso next year, is over.

Gasly has a good chance to win the Japanese Super Formula title. The final race weekend of the season clashes with the United States Grand Prix. Whether Red Bull will insists that their young driver contest the finale in Japan is not yet known.

As for 2018, Gasly revealed, “[We] didn’t talk about it at the moment. They know what I think about it. If it was up to me, I would have already signed a contract. The only thing I can do is focus on my job and try to do the best I can. Last year was a good season.”

“I went to Japan and tried to do my best there. I had a really good opportunity with Toro Rosso last weekend. I’m just trying to do my best,” added the 21 year old.

eSports opens the door to wide world of F1 engagement

Analysis: eSports opens the door to wide world of F1 engagement

Slightly late to the party, Formula 1 is beginning to engage with eSports, a new field that opens up opportunities to seek out new fans around the world. 

Nielsen Sports today released a comprehensive study of the habits of eSports fans in Europe and North America, the first phase of a global research project into the industry. 

“The mainstream perception of eSports has been changing recently,” said Samantha Lamberti, head of motorsports Europe for Nielsen Sports. “When we started researching eSports about four years ago, it felt like a completely different entity, unrelated to traditional sports.

"Over time, we have seen traditional sports embracing eSports more and more and promoting its competitions as another vehicle for engagement.”

The eSports fanbase skews heavily male, with the Nielsen Sports study finding that 71 percent of self-declared eSports fans are male, compared with 61 percent of traditional sports fans. The average age of an eSports fan is 26 years old, versus 28 for traditional sports.

Across the UK, the United States, France, and Germany – the territories surveyed by Nielsen Sports, who will be releasing separate Asian eSports research later this year – around two-thirds of eSports fans watched live streams of events online, while less than a fifth had attended a live eSports event.

The bulk of eSports fans are also interested in traditional sports, including American football, football, and motorsports, but tend not to watch much television: around four or five hours a week, compared with around eight hours per week spent gaming.

F1 2017 gameplay screenshot

It is the combination of these factors that makes the eSports demographic such a compelling one for more traditional sports – and particularly for Formula 1, which has an aging fan base and declining global TV audiences.

Finding ways to engage with this new e-demographic – a group that is not shy of spending on their passions and investing in experiences linked with live events – is a crucial future step for a sport seeking to secure its long-term future in a changing digital world.

“There are sports – and motorsport in particular – that are naturally related to eSports and gaming,” Lamberti said. “If Formula 1 as a governing body, or teams like McLaren, get involved with eSports and build competitions – as they are doing – it is a good thing for the sport as a whole.

“We have been saying for a few years now that the general motorsport audience, and the F1 audience, has an older demographic. The new generation, the youngest fans, play games and are into motorsport gaming.

"The strategy to use eSports to attract them, to make the fan base a little bit younger, is a very good move. It shows that the sport understands the trends, and understands when and how to embrace them.”

While media attention on eSports is a fairly recent phenomenon, the industry itself is no flash in the pan. Depending on region, between 10 and 20 percent of fans have been watching eSports for four years or more, while between 50 and 55 percent have been watching for between one and three years.

“The overall health of the eSports industry is strong,” Craig Levine, CEO of ESL North America – the world’s largest eSports company – says in the Nielsen Sports report.

“We’ve seen explosive growth over the past three years with a strong, engaged, and passionate fan base around the world. Our large events and leagues draw tens of millions of viewers and culminate in sold arenas.”

Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren, watches on as Fernando Alonso, McLaren, has a run in a driving simulator as part of the Worlds Fastest Gamer project being run by McLaren

Formula 1 has been slow to engage with eSports, but 2017 has seen two major initiatives in the arena: McLaren’s ‘World’s Fastest Gamer’ competition, and the official Formula 1 eSports series, which will enter the semi-finals phase later this month.

McLaren’s effort will see the eventual winner integrated into the team, and helping with future car development, explained CEO Zak Brown.

“World’s Fastest Gamer really aims to democratize the process of finding the best virtual racer out there,” Brown said. “

The contest isn’t limited to one platform or one game; we’re very keen not to restrict access or entry for people, but rather welcome the worldwide gaming community, whether that’s on mobile or on high-end simulator platforms. 

“And the winner will genuinely be a key part of our team at McLaren. This is for real: we absolutely require additional support across our two simulator platforms, so the competition and the selection process will be rigorous, ruthless and compelling to watch."

“The winner will be offered a one-year contract with McLaren to work in an official capacity as a simulator driver,” Brown continued. “They will work with engineers at the McLaren Technology Centre and at Grand Prix circuits across the world to develop and improve the machinery driven in the real world by the team’s drivers.”

For Lamberti, eSports represents an additional means of accessing potential sports fans.

“eSports creates a big sense of community among fans and players,” she said. “Combining knowledge and sharing improves access. F1 games, for example, enable players to get a real feel for the sport, providing the context which ensures new audiences and new generations of fans are engaging with F1.

"Whilst games have of course existed in the past, eSports provides that network where competitive gaming can thrive. 

“For the growth of interest in F1 itself, any game in isolation might not make people more passionate about the sport, if people don’t know what the sport is. As people acquire more knowledge about an activity, the more their interest in it can increase.

"In that sense, eSports can be a starting point, helping fans to engage further with F1. It’s another form of engagement, another access point, and one which sits the fan right in the centre.”

Alonso: McLaren could face Honda upgrade dilemma at Suzuka

Alonso: McLaren could face Honda upgrade dilemma at Suzuka

Fernando Alonso says McLaren and Honda will face a tough dilemma if there is an engine upgrade available for this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.

With the team having been boosted by recent strong performances in Singapore and Malaysia, there is a clear target of further Q3 appearances and points from Suzuka this weekend.

However, the situation could be complicated if Honda offers up some extra horsepower with new power unit developments.

For that will prompt some debate about whether it is worth taking a grid penalty hit for the power lift, or if it is better to stay with the older version and start further up on Sunday.

Speaking about the situation, Alonso said: "It is the home GP for Honda, so we want to do well there.

"We know how important that race is for the team. About 30-40 per cent of our engineers are Japanese, so we have a big moment of the year.

"The families are there, the Japanese fans, they support a lot our team, so it is a very special weekend for us and we want to perform well.

"If there is a new spec engine or any improvements, that will be with a penalty and we will start last. So it is difficult to compensate if we want to start last with an extra horsepower, or do we want to do a perfect weekend and try to score points? We will see.

"It is not up to us. The Honda engineers will tell us if first if there is an evolution ready that we don't know yet and if there is something ready, if it is better to take that opportunity or not. We will see."

Mexico rises from adversity to prepare world-class Grand Prix

Mexico rises from adversity to prepare world-class Grand Prix

In the wake of two devastating earthquakes in September, the 2017 Mexican Grand Prix has become a symbol of national fortitude in the face of adversity.

Since its 2015 return to the Formula 1 calendar, the Mexican Grand Prix has been a truly local global event, with promoters CIE turning to Mexico’s rich cultural history to make the race stand out.

From grandstands packed with sombrero-wearing fans doing literal Mexican waves to mariachi bands serenading the public and a lucha libre wrestling ring in the middle of the paddock, the Mexican Grand Prix is an event that uses Mexico to promote Mexico.

With promotional artwork evocative of Frida Kahlo and echoes of Aztec iconography on posters and race programmes, plus fortuitous scheduling that sees the race coincide with the Día de Muertos festival, the Mexican Grand Prix cannot be confused with any other race.

“The way we see the race is a great opportunity to showcase Mexico to the world,” says Alejandro Soberon, president of Mexican race promoters CIE. “Definitely it is a platform to promote the country and the tourism as a destination.  

“We thought it would be a great idea to create a window to allow the world to see Mexican culture and Mexican warmth and everything that Mexico can bring. Mexico is so rich in all those regards that we thought it would be easy for us to connect with them and use them as a platform. We truly believe it is one of the aspects that has made Mexico a great destination.”

Jolyon Palmer, Renault Sport F1 Team RS16

Destination venue

Mexico’s status as a great destination – for both tourism and Formula 1 – is a certainty, as anyone with experience of either country or race can assert. But in the wake of two devastating earthquakes in September, the 2017 edition of the Mexican Grand Prix has taken on additional symbolic importance for a country in the process of putting itself back together.

“In the aftermath of the recent earthquakes, most of all we want to share the pride we all feel for the great solidarity and support of the Mexican people,” Soberon said. “We are looking forward to hosting the F1 race and showing the world Mexico’s strength.”

Mexican company CIE, which promotes the grand prix, is a commercial outfit accustomed to marketing events – and selling high volumes of tickets – across a variety of fields. According to Rodrigo Sanchez, head of marketing and public relations for the race, that background is one of their strengths.

“We come off the industry of selling: selling entertainment and selling tickets,” Sanchez said. “We sell tickets for concerts, for theatre and now for Formula 1. We understand how to keep alive something around for a few days of every year. 

“It’s different to selling a concert: once you sell a concert, it’s gone in two hours. Whereas for a musical like ‘The Lion King’ or ‘Phantom of the Opera’ you’re selling those tickets for a whole year, seven shows a week. It’s a completely different way of selling tickets. Then you have Formula 1, which happens just once every year, but lasts for three days.”

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing con la bandera de México

The late October slot is an integral part of Mexico’s sales pitch, Sanchez admitted. 

“We like the date because it helps us promote another part of the culture that we have, which is the Day of the Dead. Usually it’s a long weekend in Mexico because it’s a holiday. For us it’s perfect. … We’re taking a little advantage of the city because it’s around those dates that the city makes things happen on the streets, so we can add more colour to the experience of going to the race in Mexico.

“It’s alive; it’s sparkling, everything is happening.  Restaurants, Formula 1, NBA games… We are awake, everything is happening in Mexico City. We can make it a good moment for Mexico; to all of Mexico from Mexico City.”

The drivers as the grid observes the national anthem

Oaxaca’s poignant role

One part of Mexico involved in the 2017 race will be the province of Oaxaca, which experienced significant losses during the September 7th earthquake. Since the Mexican Grand Prix’s return to the calendar a different province has featured its music during the national anthem ceremony before the race start.

“The first year we used music from the Chihuahua part of the country for the national anthem,” Sanchez said. “The second year we used a different region. This year we’re going to have a small school from Oaxaca singing the anthem. It’s a no-brainer – we want to take all of the rich heritage that we have and show it to the world.”

While arrangements were made during the summer months, Oaxaca’s involvement has taken on a new poignancy in light of the 8.2 magnitude quake, Mexico’s largest in a century. More than 70 people were killed in Oaxaca, and small towns destroyed in what is one of the country’s poorest regions. But the determination to remain part of the grand prix celebrations persists.

That determination in the face of adversity is but one example of Mexico’s pride in its grand prix, a world class event that advertises the country to hundreds of millions of global TV viewers. And the advertising is proving effective.

“The tourist numbers are way up in Mexico,” Sanchez said. “So it looks like it’s working. After the first year, the name of Mexico was everywhere and it was a lot of the world saying, ‘Wow, these guys did it.’”

It is a success that would not have been possible without the ongoing support of the Mexican government, according to Soberon.

“Our main local partner since we started to bring Formula 1 back to Mexico has been the Mexican government and the tourism minister,” Soberon said. “They joined us in the project from the very beginning, and they have been at our side ever since with the same amazing support and enthusiasm each year. The race is very well positioned in Mexico, we have a lot of recognition, and the economic impact of the race for Mexico has definitely been positive.”

This year, that positive economic impact is more important than ever.

MIKA:

The following is a list of official organisations currently accepting donations to help the Mexico City earthquake victims.

UNICEF Mexico
Red Cross Mexico
Oxfam Mexico
Save the Children Mexico (page is in English)
Fundación Checo Pérez A.C.

Why Formula 1 should get rid of blue flags

jm1727my567.jpg

The Malaysian Grand Prix may not have been thrill a minute, but it provided plenty of discussion points. And one late in proceedings got my attention in particular.

No, not that one. It was with a few laps remaining. That, shock horror, Fernando Alonso waited two or three corners before letting Sebastian Vettel by to lap him.

Seb’s reaction was like Pavlov’s dog. “Come on Alonso,” he said immediately on his radio. “I thought you were better than that.”

He took the subject up afterwards too. “Fernando decided to jump in the middle [of his fight with Daniel Ricciardo],” Seb continued. “I think he said when he left Ferrari that he was a Ferrari fan but today he didn’t act like one.”

Nando observed however that it’s not the first time Seb’s mounted this hobby horse. “For me it looks OK but we’ve heard ‘blue flags, blue flags’ from him before so it was just one of those,” he said.

Indeed it’s far from a new subject, and in fairness to Seb he's far from the only one to refer to it. It is part of F1 architecture and felt unarguable in large part – those being lapped are to jump aside pronto at the sight of a blue flag.

But, nothing personal, any driver complaining about delays picking through tail-enders gets no sympathy from me. I’d like F1 to lose the sanctions for backmarkers not getting out of the way. Keep the blue flags in a physical sense by all means, but only as advice. Don’t punish non-compliance, aside from egregious tactics such as weaving.

If this seems unthinkable then remember that in American series, where ‘staying on the lead lap’ is a key facet, leaders get almost no help from officialdom in lapping. They don’t at Le Mans either. It’s worth reflecting also that until relatively recently F1 was pretty much identical. And working your way through lapped ‘traffic’ was part of the game.

Sanction almost never followed any baulking, even in extreme cases lasting several laps. There were only isolated exceptions – Clay Regazzoni got a black flag in the 1975 Watkins Glen race for seeking to help his leading Ferrari team mate Niki Lauda by staying in front of his pursuer Emerson Fittipaldi’s McLaren for longer than felt fair. And the subsequent pitlane kerfuffle concluded amusingly with then Ferrari boss Luca Montezemolo – yes, him – landing a punch on a race steward…

Eddie Cheever also got a black and white ‘unsportsmanlike conduct’ flag waved at him in Spa in 1989 for lingering in the leaders’ way (not so much due to carelessness rather that little could be seen in torrential rain), but it didn’t amount to anything more.

Otherwise it all was much more commonly honoured in the breach. Even Andrea de Cesaris holding up Keke Rosberg for what seemed like an age in Dijon 1982, and Rene Arnoux doing similar to Alain Prost in Monaco 1989, didn’t elicit a peep from race control.

Some backmarkers moved graciously to one side; many would not. A few were notorious. De Cesaris, Arnoux and Philippe Alliot not least.

Come 1995 though lapping was transformed – suddenly any driver not leaping out of the way pretty much immediately (within three marshals’ posts) could rely on getting a penalty.

This was not at all controversial at the time of its introduction, as Alliot and his ilk were long since figures of derision (some of James Hunt’s commentaries were particularly scathing). It was considered basic fairness that the leaders are allowed to get to with it. But perhaps it’s a case of not knowing what you’ve got until it’s gone. Or of the law of unintended consequences.

‘Fairness’ cuts both ways. Even those being lapped have to drive their race, and you’ll know from watching F1 live timing that midfield and tail end battles are at least as close and frenzied as those at the front. In Malaysia indeed 10th through to 16th home were covered by a mere 14 seconds.

Yet they’re expected on pain of ruinous sanction to get off the throttle and pull off line, losing them seconds at a stroke, whenever one a lap ahead gets near. They’ll probably ruin their tyres in so doing too. Hardly seems fair.

“They’re equally frustrated,” noted Martin Brundle in Suzuka last year when a similar issue flared. “Their entire race is wrecked, they’re having a good fight for what to them is a world championship as it’s a world championship point, and they’re in a close fight. If they go really off line their tyres get really dirty and it takes two or three laps to clean them up.

“It cuts both ways – we don’t get radio messages [on TV] from drivers [being lapped] saying ‘that just cost me ten seconds’.”

And more generally much has been lost with the current practice of drivers leaping aside upon glimpsing a blue flag.

“It used to be a core skill, of managing the traffic,” Brundle went on. “But then cars had the aerodynamics of a double-decker bus and it wasn’t so difficult to follow another car and pass him.

“Unfortunately it’s a problem of the aero age we have now, you can’t unlearn what they’ve learned about making these cars so fast.”

He has a point. With the by now chronic problem of ‘dirty air’ perhaps necessity was the mother of invention with the strict enforcement of backmarkers clearing out of the way. Possibly this needs to be resolved before we turn to blue flag practice. On the flipside however drivers these days have DRS to assist them.

Whatever though such thoughts of F1’s ‘lost art’ in traffic drift almost inevitably to Ayrton Senna, a master in this craft.

The late great Brazilian’s modus operandi in winning races he had little right to was to claim pole with his other-worldly qualifying skill, and then blast off at the maximum at the race start – as if someone flicked a switch – to establish a gap immediately. Then once his opponents started to claw his advantage back they’d soon meet the backmarkers, when Senna’s skills really set him apart.

It’s not exaggeration to say that with the current practice you likely would take away ten, perhaps more, of his 41 Grand Prix triumphs. Michael Schumacher too, before the game was neutralised, was well on the way to establishing a similar reputation.

Some of the lapping then in an F1 race, and not just by Senna, took your breath away. Darting into gaps; shut-your-eyes chances taken. Would this be the time such-and-such keeps coming and turns in? The trouble was usually you couldn’t afford to hang back just in case…

The modern practice also has a negative impact on the racing entertainment more broadly. Traffic provided a clear additional variable, often closing up leaders and the like. The importance of variation is under-mentioned in debates about how to make F1 racing cars race each other – as with the quickest guys starting at the front and the slowest at the back if all cars run interrupted at full pelt then why would we get racing? They’ll simply move apart.

Variables of the synthetic variety – DRS, gumball tyres, ‘success ballast’ – grate. But negotiating backmarkers was the best of both worlds – a variable that also is absolutely part of the racing game. Something drivers could influence. And great drivers would benefit from.

Many iconic moments resulted from a leader being ‘baulked’. Nigel Mansell’s opportunistic pass on the self-same Senna to win in Hungary in 1989 likely would never have happened without Senna’s almost infinitesimal breath on the throttle when Stefan Johansson’s Onyx got in his path.

And as David Croft noted during the same Suzuka debate outlined doing away with blue flag sanction also would head off much (tiresome) argument.

“At least you’ve got consistency,” he said of a world without them. “If you’ve got no blue flags, everybody knows exactly what’s going to be going on out there – if you get held up you get held up, it’s just part of racing. You’ve got to use your racing skill to overtake, haven’t you?

“And it provides a lot more entertainment. Let’s face it when people get held up gaps start to be reduced a little bit and then we can see maybe the leaders getting a bit more overtaking action as well.

“Let’s just try it for a couple of races, shall we?”

I’m sure that Ayrton Senna for one would have approved.

US GP PROMOTER WANTS MEXICO PAIRED WITH CANADA

United-States-Grand-Prix.jpg

United States Grand Prix promoter Bobby Epstein is still pushing for his race in Texas to be split from neighbouring Mexico on the Formula 1 calendar in an effort to further boost attendance.

The two races are on back-to-back weekends, with Austin’s Circuit of the Americas playing host on 22 October before the action shifts to Mexico City’s Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez a week later on 29 October.

Epstein has long maintained that the scheduling is more geared for Formula One’s convenience, from a standpoint of logistics and saving on freight costs, than in the best interests of fans and sponsors.

Any hopes that the sport’s new owners Liberty Media, who took over in January with a fan-first approach, might change the arrangement were dashed when the pairing was retained on the draft 2018 calendar.

“They came out with their calendar in June… and I don’t expect that to change any time soon. I think it’s going to be that way,” Epstein told Reuters in a telephone interview.

“It would certainly be better for the promoter if the races were further apart on the calendar. Mexico with Canada. We’d be with Brazil.”

Brazil’s Interlagos circuit in Sao Paulo is the penultimate race in November while Canada’s Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal enjoys its moment in the limelight in June.

Mexico made its return in 2015 after a 23-year absence, drawing a crowd of 134,000. Austin has hosted the U.S. round since 2012 and was paired with Brazil for the first three years.

“We had a large audience that came from Mexico and now they’re sort of forced to choose between which one to go to,” Epstein said.

”If one of the manufacturers wants to do something in that time slot, and they have a budget to do one race in October, then they are going to have to choose between the two. They’re going to spend their money only at one of the places.

“If they are spread out, you actually have the chance for them to activate in June and in October. To do something in both,” he added.

Mexican Grand Prix organisers are happy with their date, which comes just before the annual Day of the Dead holidays.

That race is backed by the government, which pays the hosting fees to Formula One and sees it as an important driver for tourism and Mexico’s image abroad.

Last year’s United States Grand Prix drew an event record three-day crowd of 269,000 thanks in large part to a Taylor Swift concert on the Saturday evening that was watched by 80,000 people.

Justin Timberlake is this year’s headline act, with qualifying moved back to later in the day to reduce the gap between the track action and the music.

Epstein said ticket sales were on a par with last year’s and thanked Liberty for helping to secure that change.

“I think on Saturday again we’ll have a massive crowd for qualifying. And by moving qualifying a little later in the day, it just gives the fans a great day,” he said.

Last year’s qualifying and concert were about five hours apart.

”I don’t know that we would have had that flexibility before and it shows a real willingness to work with the promoter,“ added Epstein. ”It’s really helpful.

“If you’re going to make a commitment to building it (Formula One) in the U.S., those are the kind of seemingly little things that you can do and need to do.”

Epstein expected also to see more Lewis Hamilton fans in Austin, with the Mercedes driver leading Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel in the championship by 34 points ahead of this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix.

Hamilton, winner for the past three years in Texas, is a regular visitor to the United States.

“He is creating a persona that is beyond that of a driver, and I think it’s helpful,” said Epstein.

“We’re opening a karting track the week of F1, so I hope Lewis is there to cut the ribbon or drive the first lap.”

RED BULL IN THE MIX AS TITLE BATTLE HEADS TO JAPAN

Max Verstappen, Daniel Ricciardo

Red Bull arrive at Suzuka for the Japanese Grand Prix on a high, and although their drivers are of title contention they will be looking to keep the momentum going and the get in the mix of the championship battle between Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel.

Hamilton is looking to hit back from his defeat in Malaysia at this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix, scene of a bizarre ‘Snapchat’ row that overshadowed last year’s race.

Britain’s triple world champion was forced to play second fiddle to Red Bull’s Max Verstappen in Sepang after securing his ninth pole of the season and 70th of his career.

Despite stretching his Formula 1 world championship lead over Ferrari rival Sebastian Vettel to 34 points with five races left, Hamilton took a swipe at his Mercedes team.

“There are some real big problems that I can’t really explain to you,” he said. “There is stuff that has been happening through the weekend that is not acceptable for this great team.”

Hamilton came into last year’s Suzuka race in a foul mood and seeking solace after raising the possibility of a Mercedes conspiracy against him following an engine fire in Malaysia.

But the Briton triggered further controversy when he was criticised for posting photos on social media during a press conference.

Furious with tabloids for labelling him “snap prat” and the “berc in the Merc”, Hamilton sulkily refused to answer questions after qualifying in Suzuka as the row rumbled on.

Hamilton, a three-time winner in Japan, will be hoping for a better performance from his car this week than in Malaysia.

“Every point counts,” said Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff. “We got lucky again (in Malaysia) and we expect a very close fight between ourselves, Ferrari and Red Bull at Suzuka.”

Hamilton, who has 281 points to Vettel’s 247, had warned Ferrari would push Mercedes hard in Malaysia.

But they dodged a bullet as Vettel finished fourth after starting from the back of the grid, while Kimi Raikkonen suffered a calamitous engine failure that knocked him out of the race.

Hamilton snatched the title lead from Vettel at Monza last month but Mercedes, who have dominated the sport in recent years, face a growing threat from Ferrari and Red Bull.

Verstappen capped a fairytale 20th birthday weekend in Malaysia with his second Formula One victory, as Australian teammate Daniel Ricciardo took third.

But with Valtteri Bottas finishing fifth, Mercedes will need to find some extra speed at Suzuka, where Nico Rosberg’s 2016 victory completed a hat-trick of wins for the Silver Arrows in Japan.

Verstappen’s sizzling performance in Malaysia suggests he may have turned the corner after retiring from seven of the first 15 races this season.

More alarmingly perhaps for Hamilton will be the pace shown by Vettel, who set the fastest lap and a new lap record as he dashingly carved through the field.

However, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has ordered the team to fix the reliability problems that sabotaged their race in Malaysia.

“It’s really ugly when you’re in second place on the grid and you can’t start the race,” he said of Raikkonen’s cruel blow. This kind of problem makes us angry.”

Vettel, a four-time world champion with Red Bull, needs a reversal of fortune after squandering a golden opportunity to reclaim the championship lead after crashing from pole in Singapore three weeks ago.

There could be a further twist for Ferrari at the high-speed Japanese circuit as the German faces a possible five-place grid penalty if he needs a new gearbox after a collision with Lance Stroll’s Williams following Sunday’s race.

Meanwhile, Honda officials will be bracing themselves for more potential road rage from McLaren’s Fernando Alonso, whose previous blue-tinged radio outbursts at Suzuka have left the engine suppliers squirming at their home race.

FORCE INDIA PREVIEW THE JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Sergio Perez

Force India team and drivers the Japanese Grand Prix, Round 16 of the 2017 Formula 1 World Championship, at Suzuka.

Vijay Mallya: “There are many positives to take from our performance in Sepang last weekend. The pace of the car in both qualifying and the race shows that we are still unlocking further performance from the VJM10. It’s a good sign for the remaining five events of the year. Suzuka will give us another chance to explore our latest developments on a track that is very technical with big emphasis on aero. It’s worth mentioning again how impressive Sergio’s race was in Malaysia. Despite feeling unwell all weekend, he still managed to deliver one of his best results of the season. Esteban also drove a remarkable race. 53 laps on one set of tyres to score the final point was a big achievement. It’s just a shame the luck went against him otherwise he would surely have picked up even more points.”

Sergio Perez: “The Japanese Grand Prix is one of my favourite weekends of the season. We receive so much support there: the Japanese fans are amazing and I am really looking forward to meeting all of them. There is a Japanese woman who always dresses up in Mexican colours and she even learned Spanish just to talk to me, it’s such a special experience. The track itself is amazing. Sector one is the most beautiful sector in the world, with so many quick corners and an incredible flow. It will be impressive to race on it with these high downforce cars. I think it should be a good weekend for us because we have made some really good progress with the car in the last few races.”

Esteban Ocon: “Suzuka is a place I really enjoy. I had my first taste of it last year and it’s just so good. The high-speed sections are very special and when you have a car with a lot of grip, like in qualifying, you can find a nice rhythm. There is no real secret to being quick there: you just need to work on the details. You need to get everything perfect to complete a good lap. There is so much history in Suzuka. When you arrive there you think about the battles between Senna and Prost all those years ago. We certainly need these sorts of tracks. The fans, as well, are great. Motorsport is massive in Japan and you see it the moment you arrive in the country. Last year, I saw a fan with a cap in the shape of a rear wing with a working DRS. It was really funny and I’m never going to forget it.”

Sahara Force India’s Chief Race Engineer, Tom McCullough: “The Japanese Grand Prix is one of the highlights of the year, a classic venue with some of the most enthusiastic fans in the world and a great atmosphere. Suzuka is a challenging circuit that drivers typically enjoy and the 2017 regulation cars should make this track’s high-speed corners even quicker. The unique figure-of-eight layout means there’s a similar number of left and right-hand corners and most drivers’ highlight is the iconic sector one, with a constant change of direction requiring a very well-balanced car. Set-up is biased towards the medium and high-speed corners: effectively, there are only two low-speed corners, the T11 hairpin and the final chicane. It’s an old-school track that punishes mistakes and it’s a challenge for both drivers and engineers.”

MCLAREN PREVIEW THE JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Stoffel Vandoorne

Suzuka was built by the Honda Motor Company in 1962. Its innovative figure-of-eight design was the brainchild of Dutchman John Hugenholtz and the layout has changed little over the years.

The biggest alterations came in the early 1980s, when a chicane was added at the end of the lap and the Degner curve was made into two separate corners. This year’s race is the 29th Japanese Grand Prix to be staged at the track.

Fernando Alonso: “Suzuka is definitely one of my favourite tracks on the calendar, and along with a lot of the other drivers I always look forward to racing in Japan every year. It’s one of the classics and its configuration is completely unique. It has a bit of everything – it’s demanding, fast, and a big challenge for a driver and for the engineers, so it’s the perfect racer’s circuit. It’s an important race for us given our connections with Japan, and for me personally it’s a special place. I’ve always found Japanese culture fascinating and the incredible support from the fans make this race weekend one of the most exciting and crazy of the season. I always try to make the most of our time there, make a couple of trips to the must-see places in Tokyo and really get a feel for this incredible location. I’ve had a couple of difficult races recently, so I’m looking forward to getting back on track and working with my engineers to turn our fortunes around. I feel that we’ve definitely had the pace there in the car – and Stoffel has been able to demonstrate what we’re capable of – but bad luck and struggles in traffic have meant we haven’t been able to score the points we’d hoped for on my side. Both of us will be pushing hard for the Japanese contingent of our team, our partners and of course our fans, and I hope we can finally show the progress we’re making with our car.”

Stoffel Vandoorne: “After two really positive races, I’m really looking forward to heading back to Japan. It’s one of my favourite countries and I always enjoy spending time there. The culture, food and people make it really special, and for a long time I’ve been looking forward to experiencing the Suzuka circuit in a Formula 1 car for the first time. For me, Singapore and Malaysia were a real boost, and we were really able to get on top of every session and maximise what we had available in our package. We know there has been potential all season, but for one reason or another we weren’t able to show it – so having two strong results back-to-back has been really encouraging and I’m keen to see how we will do in Japan. It’s a much tougher circuit for our car than Sepang, and requires a lot more outright power. The advantage is that I won’t be coming to this circuit fresh this weekend, as I’ve tested and raced at Suzuka a few times before – the last time I was there I won in Super Formula. I’m working very hard with my engineers and we’ll be putting in the same level of preparation for this race, so I hope we can keep pushing forward and have another strong weekend.”

Eric Boullier: “Everyone at McLaren Honda is excited to return to Suzuka for the Japanese Grand Prix, in a country that has effectively become our second home. Suzuka is one of the most iconic tracks on the entire calendar, and of course an important venue for us and our partner Honda. Naturally, our aim is to do everything we can to support both them and our amazing fans there, who are among the most passionate of any country we visit all over the world. After some encouraging signs in the past couple of races, we would like to continue the progress we are making and, particularly at this special race for the whole team, enjoy a strong result on both sides of the garage. Our spirit is strong, and we’re working hard together to maximise every race weekend in an effort to make a dent on the constructors’ championship before the end of the year. We know Suzuka won’t be the easiest track on which to shine, but every team up and down the paddock loves it for its formidable twists and turns, and its unique set of challenges that make it all the more rewarding to get right. We’re all aware of its characteristically power-dependent nature, but there are technical sections, such as the flow of corners in Sector One, where our package should be better able to show it strengths, and it’ll be good to see just how fast these 2017 cars go on this track.”

Yusuke Hasegawa: “After having another positive weekend in Malaysia, we have built up good momentum heading to our home grand prix in Japan. We always enjoy going back to our home circuit and being waited for by warm and cheerful Japanese fans. The atmosphere encourages us a lot and we hope we can give them a great race. Many drivers mention Suzuka as one of their favourite circuits, and I think this is because it has both technical and power-hungry features. For engineers, it’s a very exciting track as we are able to show our ability in terms of finding the perfect set-up, although we also find it very challenging. The balance of the car will be very important, so we need to make sure we set up the drivability in accordance with McLaren’s chassis requirements. It will be our last Japanese Grand Prix as McLaren Honda, therefore it is a special race for the team. I myself have strong feelings for this race and I‘m hoping to make it as memorable as possible for both the team and fans. “

WILLIAMS PREVIEW THE JAPANESE GRAND PRIX

Felipe Massa, Lance Stroll

Held at the legendary Suzuka circuit for a ninth consecutive year, the Japanese Grand Prix plays host to round 16 of this year’s Formula One World Championship.

Traditionally held towards the end of the season, the Japanese GP is often considered a title-deciding race, with the risk and reward much greater compared with races earlier in the year.

Title hopes aside, Suzuka is made all-the-more exciting thanks to the overtaking opportunities the track presents, with a total of eighteen corners, and very little run-off area for the drivers to consider.

It therefore comes as no surprise that so many F1 legends dub Suzuka as one of the most challenging circuits on the calendar. Williams has produced some exceptional results in Japan, winning in 1992, 1994 and 1996, with Damon Hill claiming both the race and Drivers’ Championship at the latter.

Last year, the team recorded a double-points finish at Suzuka, a result it hopes to match, if not improve, in 2017.

For Japan, Pirelli has made available the medium, soft and supersoft tyres.

Paddy Lowe: “Japan is a fascinating country with some of the most enthusiastic fans that we see in the whole championship. Their commitment to the sport, the teams and the drivers that they follow is unparalleled, so we all enjoy the appreciation and interest that we get at this race. The circuit itself is one of the greatest race tracks on earth in my opinion. It has a long and significant history as one of the Formula One classics. It has a unique figure of eight layout with the track going underneath itself half way around. The track requires power, downforce and above all else, great skill from the drivers. It is one of the most difficult circuits for a driver to learn and master, especially the famous sequence of “esses” in sector one. This will play to Felipe’s experience but we look forward to seeing how Lance faces the challenge of Suzuka for the first time in his F1 career.”

Felipe Massa: “Suzuka is definitely one of the best tracks in the world and one where I really love racing. I think the car we have this year will be amazing there with the high downforce and the high-speed corners, so I am really looking forward to going there. Another great thing about being in Japan is the fans, who are some of the best we come across during the year.”

Lance Stroll: “I have heard so many great things about this track. All the drivers seem to love it and I am told the Japanese fans are also great. I am especially looking forward to Suzuka and spending a lot of time out in Asia. There have been some classic races there and let’s hope this year is the same. I am a big fan of the food and I especially love sushi and sashimi.”