Formula 1 - 2017

LIBERTY MEDIA ACQUIRE BIGGER OFFICES FOR F1 IN LONDON

F1 headquarters, St James’s Market

Liberty Media will move the headquarters of its Formula 1 racing series to the St James’s district in London, another break with the reign of the motorsport’s former chief Bernie Ecclestone and a reflection of its growth ambitions.

Long-based in offices beneath former overlord Ecclestone’s penthouse flat in the U.K. capital’s exclusive Knightsbridge neighborhood, F1 is now moving the operation to larger facilities close to London’s iconic Piccadilly Circus. The move comes after the completion of a $4.4 billion takeover by Liberty Media Corp. in January.

The new 1,950 square-meter (21,000 sq. feet) offices in the 400 million pound St James’s Market development close to several of London’s famous tourist sites provide “the perfect place to grow our international fan base,” F-1’s general counsel Sacha Woodward Hill said in an emailed statement announcing the move.

Formula 1 was, during the last half century, the project of 86-year-old Bernie Ecclestone. He was named chairman emeritus when American TV executive Chase Carey replaced him as CEO immediately after billionaire John Malone’s Liberty took control.

Carey told Bloomberg News a day after the deal was announced that “some of the decision-making hasn’t been efficient and effective in how do we manage the sport” and planned to create more value and new races in major cities around the world.

That goal will be spearheaded from St. James’s Market, a development co-owned by The Crown Estate and Oxford Properties. The developers say the profile of its new tenant — Formula 1 attracts 400 million viewers — will boost their project’s image.

“Attracting a world-leading business like Formula 1 is a great endorsement of our vision,” said Oliver Smith, Senior Asset Manager at The Crown Estate.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Formula 1 - 2017 - Why The Hell Not! Yeah, yeah.... @OZCUBAN will no doubt be saying "I told you so" and I really was going to leave Formula 1 at 2016 for at least a year but I figured being

Ugh.  Long long day here.  3 flights followed by a 4 hour drive home and 2 near crashes on the way home.  Love it when the idiots close down one lane of the interstate, back traffic way behind the lan

Hi all. Just advising you all, in a few hours, I'll cease posting for a couple weeks as I am off on break with my son being school holidays here. I most likely won't post anything as the first pa

CAREY: WE CAN GROW F1 IN MANY PLACES INCLUDING AMERICA

Chase Carey

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey has clarified statements he made in which he expressed the desire within Liberty Media to create “21 Super Bowls” out of grand prix weekends, and is adamant that this is not a call to Americanise the sport.

Carey said in an interview with Motorsport Monday, “I have called the races 21 Super Bowls, but by that I mean we want to make the events bigger, broader and more attractive. I don’t mean we want to make it American.”

“The foundation of the sport is in Europe and one of our core objectives is to make the sport stronger and bigger there, and build on that foundation.”

“F1 has a great history and a great following in Europe, but we think we can grow it. Equally, we think there are opportunities to grow it in many other places. The US is certainly is one of those.”

“That does not mean we are Americanising the sport, it means that we think that the sport has American appeal and American opportunities that haven’t been tapped.”

“The US market today is really not that material to Formula 1, because it hasn’t been developed. We have a great race in Austin, but realistically we don’t do a whole lot.”

“To some degree some of the lack of growth is because we don’t have the digital vehicles or the marketing organisation to go out and connect with the US fans, but clearly adding a destination race in a destination city is one of our goals.”

“I have cited New York, LA, Miami and Vegas. If we had that it would add another dimension to what we are doing in the US and would be another block in building the sport,” concluded Carey.

Max Verstappen: Mercedes still has advantage over Red Bull

Verstappen-Barcelona-T1D4-2017.jpg

Max Verstappen says Mercedes still holds the advantage over Red Bull, after the conclusion of the first 2017 Formula 1 pre-season test.

Verstappen was back behind the wheel of the new Red Bull RB13 on Thursday for the final day of running.

The circuit was covered in water for wet weather tyre testing, but the teams still managed to complete dry running too as the warm weather quickly dried the surface.

Verstappen ended the day second quickest, nine tenths off Kimi Raikkonen’s fastest time, and lapped the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya 85 times.

He said Red Bull’s main focus for the week was gaining mileage, but admitted Mercedes still seems to have the edge.  

“It’s always good to run a little bit in the wet in the first week of testing,” he said. “Of course, the conditions are not ideal, as the sun is shining and the track is wet, but at least we got a first idea of what the wet tyres are like.

“In terms of the week as a whole, the most important thing for us was to make mileage and to know that all the parts were holding up.

“In general everything behaved pretty well. I think Mercedes might still have an advantage on us in terms of power at the beginning of the season but we’ll be catching up.

“For sure the car will change quite a bit before we get to Melbourne, as it will for everyone.”

Grosjean: Intermediates are ‘getting destroyed’

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_GettyImages-647020172-700x367.jpg

Haas' Romain Grosjean believes Pirelli have made progress with their wet tyres for 2017, but the intermediates are a cause for concern.

The fourth and final day of the first in Barcelona has been set aside for wet weather simulation and Grosjean spent the lunch hour giving an insight into the conditions out on track.

“It is quite interesting the wet,” Grosjean told reporters.

“There is a lot of progress made from last year. We haven’t had too much overheating with the rear and the temperature is staying in. The warm up was okay-ish.

"The intermediates are really good for one lap and then they get destroyed a bit too early – so some work is to be done. But generally it’s a good step from where we ended up last year.”

“It wasn’t the most efficient I think – but we tried at least,” he said.

“We didn’t do that much running because they had to wet the track and it really dried pretty quickly, so was straight into inter conditions.

C56yT91WQAA5kn5.jpg

Grosjean also said that the lack of cars out on track is due to worries over having a costly crash, with new parts at a premium.

He added: “I went out one run on full wets and one run on inters to see how the car reacts and it went quite okay and I was happy with that.

“But obviously it’s early in the season and it is always a bit of a risk for teams. We don’t have that many spare parts and it is always a balance to have.

“We couldn’t test very deeply regarding aquaplaning, so I think we will find out during a race weekend.”

Hulkenberg: Only race conditions will test wets

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_GettyImages-647027714-700x367.jpg

Nico Hulkenberg stopped short of calling Pirelli’s wet tyre tests a waste of time but did clear that no one will really know how the tyres performance until under race conditions.

The Formula 1 teams took to an artificially soaked Circuit de Catalunya on Thursday with the FIA declaring that the final day of the opening test would be dedicated to helping Pirelli test their wet weather tyres.

There wasn’t, however, much running to be had.

Instead of drivers hitting the 100-lap mark, as some had done earlier in the week, they were cautious especially at a time where spare parts are few and far between.

As such Hulkenberg covered just 51 laps

“Obviously early in the season it’s a bit of a risk with teams, we don’t have that many spare parts,” he told reporters.

“There’s always a balance to be had.

“I went out once on full wets, once on inters, just to see how it goes and get a basic idea. It worked fine, to be honest.

“But we couldn’t really test very deeply regarding aquaplaning and all these kinds of subjects, we’ll find that out during the race weekend I guess.”

The First Morning of F1 Testing in Barcelona

There's nothing quite like that first morning back trackside. Watch as Daniel Ricciardo arrives at Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya and prepares for his first taste and drive of the RB13

HAMILTON: GETTING ON WITH VALTTERI BETTER THAN ANY OTHER TEAMMATE

Lewis Hamilton Valtteri Bottas

Lewis Hamilton has only worked with his new Mercedes teammate for a week, but the triple F1 World Champion claims already found himself a “new best teammate ever” in the Finn and is impressed with his sense of humour.

Speaking to the official F1 website, Hamilton said, “What I so far like about working with Valtteri is that it is all to do with the track – what we do on the circuit – and not outside. There are no games – there is complete transparency. I like that.”

“I feel we already have a better working relationship than I ever had with any team mate I had before. He wants to do the best thing that he can in his first year with the team – and with me being here for quite a while now, I want to deliver and make sure that I give as much information so that he will learn.”

“And we do our talking on the track!” added Hamilton who before the Barcelona test revelaed that he was not keen on sharing data with his teammates.

Hamilton also revealed that Bottas “makes his own entertainment” and “is very witty and comes out with some very funny things – which you would not really expect from a Finn!”

Bookies have Hamilton as the preseason favourite, but he seemed unaware of the fact, “Is that so? I didn’t know that. That’s nice to hear. Well, I am fitter, I am working harder than ever before and I am super focused and driven after last year – when I also worked hard through the year but didn’t get the result I wanted.”

“So I want change and that is what the team and I are working so hard to achieve. I am not really sure, but I don’t think that any team has ever won championships across rules changes – and that is the big goal for us.”

“We want to stay up front – but it will be a very interesting season for us, and for the fans,” added Hamilton who will be competing in his tenth season in Formula 1 when he lines up on the grid in Melbourne on 26 March.

Hamilton has had an interesting and varied history with F1 teammates starting during his rookie season with Fernando Alonso at McLaren, in 2007. A year packed with stress and animosity between the two, particularly towards the end of the year when that pair were title contenders.

In 2008 and 2009 Hamilton was paired up with his first Finnish teammate Heikki Kovalainen, after Alonso departed McLaren. There was no tension between the pair, perhaps because the Finn was simply not in the same class. Hamilton went on to win the his first title during their first year together in the team.

In 1010 Kovalainen was replaced by Jenson Button, the reigning F1 World Champion at the time, joining Hamilton at McLaren where they remained teammates for a ‘peaceful’ three years. 

In 2013 Hamilton departed McLaren to join Mercedes, replacing F1 legend Michael Schumacher, and teaming up with his childhood mate Nico Rosberg.

During the course of the next four years the friendship disintegrated as the pair tussled for the title in a climate of constant tension and conflict within the team. The pair crashing into one another on more than one occasion as they battled for the title from within the same team.

Hamilton won the title on two occasions – 2014 and 20165 – with Rosberg claiming the 2016 title and retiring five days after the accomplishment and thus freeing up the seat with Mercedes which Bottas now fills.

MIKA: Let's see if Bottas is still his best team mate by years end ;)

STEINER: NEW FERRARI ENGINE IS AMAZING

Barcelona-Ferrari-Vettel-2-22-2017.jpg

Ferrari impressed this past week during the first stanza of Formula 1 testing at Circuit de Catalunya in Spain, and it appears that Haas, their main client team, is also reaping the benefits of a big step forward by the legendary Italian team.

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner, whose cars are powered by Ferrari engines, said in the aftermath of testing in Barcelona, “The engine and gearbox here, we had almost a flawless test with the same engine – we never changed engines.”

“We had twice an electronics problem but it was a software problem, nothing big mechanical. They have done a fantastic job in my opinion.”

“To come out here with a new engine, a complete new engine, and be this reliable, it is amazing. If you look at the other ones around, and they are no dummies, they have quite a few issues.”

“So from last year to this year [Ferrari] stepped up a lot and it is very good, but how good it is is difficult to say yet.”

“We are pretty happy. We still have some work to do to utilise it, but I think it is more like – we made a good step but have the others made an even a better step? We don’t know yet.

“The times are very confusing here. With the tyres it is pretty easy to see what they are doing, but the fuel loads are tricky to find out, or be certain about what is happening.

“In general, we are pretty confident we are in the mid pack. But are we at the top of the midpack or are we at the back?

“I don’t know yet. I just hope we are more to the middle of the mid-pack than last year,” added Stiener.

VIDEO: HAAS VF17 ANALYSIS

Talking about the Haas VF17 in the wake of it’s launch and ahead of the 2017 season which began with testing on 27 February at Circuit de Barcelona, ahead of the first race of the season in Melbourne, the Australian Grand Prix, on 26 March.

• Like 1

VIDEO: TORO ROSSO STR12 ANALYSIS

Talking about the Toro Rosso STR12 in the wake of it’s launch and ahead of the 2017 season which began with testing on 27 February at Circuit de Barcelona, ahead of the first race of the season in Melbourne, the Australian Grand Prix, on 26 March.

STROLL: MASSA IS NOT MY MENTOR

Circuit de Barcelona Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain. Tuesday 28 February 2017. Lance Stroll, Williams Martini Racing. World Copyright: Glenn Dunbar/Williams F1. ref: Digital Image _31I1889

Teenage rookie Lance Stroll is adamant that his veteran Williams teammate Felipe Massa is not his mentor, but admits that having the Brazilian’s experience on tap for the team is a valuable asset.

The 18 year old told F1i after his official Formula 1 testing debut in Barcelona, “I think mentor is the wrong word. He’s here pushing for himself as much as anyone is pushing for themselves.”

“I think it’s just great to have him in the team, helping the team move forwards, bringing a lot of experience to the team and there’s a lot definitely that I can pick up from him.

“Him and myself are going to help the team move forwards as much as possible. I know him from our days in Ferrari and he’s an open guy, he’s a team player.” Stroll explained.

“He’s an honest guy and that’s kind of all you really ask for when you have a team-mate. It’s a positive spirit and a positive attitude in the team and everyone is really looking forward to the season and the rest of the tests, to get some more running.”

It was proverbial baptism by fire for Stroll during his two days in the cockpit for Williams at Circuit de Catalunya.

On the first day he spun onto the gravel and damaged a front wing on the FW40 early in the day. With no spare wing in the truck his first day in the car was cut seriously short.

The following day he did good mileage, lapping Circuit de Catalunya 98 times, but with an hour and a half to go in the afternoon session when he smashed into the wall. The damage was so severe that his team had to miss out on the final day of the test.

WOLFF: BARCELONA TEST SHOWED WHY HAMILTON IS THE BEST PAID DRIVER

Image result for WOLFF: BARCELONA TEST SHOWED WHY HAMILTON IS THE BEST PAID DRIVER

Mercedes F1 chief Toto Wolff admits that watching Lewis Hamilton go about his work during the first test of the Formula 1 preseason test in Barcelona, reaffirmed why the sport’s dominant team dishes out over $30-million annually for his services.
Wolff told iNews, “Seeing Lewis operate, and seeing him again this week (shakes head). What I saw in the long runs was just the best of the whole week of testing. Just unbelievable, whatever that skill set is. It is difficult to describe what he feels.”

“Lewis is an exceptional individual and edgy person that when he operates on a high is unbeatable. When Lewis has that 100 per cent thing going on he is your man. These are the days when you know why he is in that car, and why he is the best paid driver.”

Image result for WOLFF: BARCELONA TEST SHOWED WHY HAMILTON IS THE BEST PAID DRIVER

“The race that comes into mind is Monaco last year when it was raining and our car was not fastest, and lacking grip in the wet. He was unbelievable.”

Managing Hamilton has not bee a bed of roses for Wolff and Mercedes, there have been spats and sulks since he joined the Silver Arrows in 2013, but at the same time there are two FGormula 1 world titles in the bag as well as 32 grand prix winner’s trophies on the mantelpiece.

Wolff ventured, Talent management is not about one individual but 1,500. The other 1,499 make his car. I make no difference between Lewis and the other guys in this respect. That’s important, and their relationship with Lewis is great. Besides, Lewis is such a hard worker. When you see him at the last test, the diligence he applies to his work (again, a shake of the head).”

Hamilton is a regular feature at A-list events and red carpet superstar functions, but when he puts on his helmet and shuts his visor it’s all about the racing.

“They dream if they think fashion shows are his main thing,” said Wolff. “He is not only the best racing driver at the moment but also that interesting personality. He gives the tabloids lots of stories. He provides narrative. In order to be glorified you need to provide drama and he gives them all of that. He is a media phenomenon as well as a very skilled racing driver.”

As for the tensions that inevitably engulf the team, a recent example being the constantly simmering feud with his former teammate Nico Rosberg, Wolff explained, “Lewis works best in a climate of adversity. You need to allow drama to happen. If you streamline emotions because you want to be too corporate, you are losing something. F1 is what it is because of controversy.”

HEMBERY: WE’RE GETTING CLOSE TO BLACKOUT POINT

P-20170228-01315_HiRes-JPEG-24bit-RGB.jpg

Pirelli motorsport boss Paul Hembery is adamant that the G-Forces generated by the current Formula 1 cars require abnormal strength to drive, and that in full race trim, and in certain conditions, he wonders if drivers may even “blackout” during a race.

Hembery told ESPN of the loads that drivers are experiencing this year, “It is quite shocking. Even now, you are talking 5G corners … a road car, top Ferrari, Lambo,[generate] 1.2 or 1.3G. These are getting to levels now that, I don’t know….

“Maybe some clever doctors will tell us that we’re getting close to blackout point, I don’t know what it is. But certainly when I was looking at Turn 3 it was quite impressive. I’m sure a normal human being wouldn’t be able to.”

One stop races are likely to be the norm this year with the new tyres, while speeds approaching 300 km/h through some of the fast curves at various high speed venues combined with warm weather will severely test drivers’ fitness and stamina.

“It’s one of those fun fair rides isn’t it, where you arrive at 5G, make you feel a bit queasy. It depends what circuit you are at. I would think a stint at Silverstone for 30, 40 laps is going to be pretty exhausting for a driver. Well very exhausting, I think even [here at Barcelona] when you add 20 degrees [Celsius] and they are actually going flat out in race trim.

“Physically I think it’s going to be a huge challenge for the drivers. Of course they are all great athletes today, they do a lot of preparation. You think if we go three seconds quicker than what we’ve seen already, which is like three years’ development normally, that’s amazing performance,” added Hembery.

HAVE MCLAREN-HONDA GONE BACKWARDS?

Image result for INSIDE LINE: HAVE MCLAREN-HONDA GONE BACKWARDS?

For many a McLaren fan, winning and indeed podium finishes are now but a distant memory.

Right now, and for some years, it is frustrating and sad to be a McLaren fan.

With the first test of the 2017 season done and dusted I am dismayed and bewildered that this once great team, and their illustrious engine supplier, has made no progress… in fact they appear to have gone backwards.

Honda’s all new power unit appears to be a flop. Frustration within McLaren was such that there were reports of angry shouts coming from their pit garage. The body language and gestures among the crew were visibly resigned and frustrated. There were few smiles to be seen.

Indeed, Eric Boullier joked after the first day that “plates were being thrown” inside their garage at Circuit de Catalunya. Word is he wasn’t really joking…

First rule of F1 preseason testing is never to take the lap times too seriously, nevertheless it is worthwhile in this instance of establishing exactly where McLaren stand.

Stoffel Vandoorne’s best lap time of 1:22,576 came on the final day of the test using Pirelli ultrasoft tyres which was 2.8 seconds down on the best time of 1:19,705 set by Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas on day three.

The second best time of the week was set by Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel on Pirelli softs, was 2.6 seconds quicker than Vandoorne. Only the Toro Rosso pair and the Force India reserve were slower than Alonso and Vandoorne.

Second rule of F1 preseason testing is that mileage is very important. Here McLaren fall well short too. Last year the Woking outfit managed 1196 km during the first four days of testing. This year they covered 968 km, 228 km less than a year ago.

But perhaps most notable and alarming is the fact that McLaren did 1629 km less than pace setting Mercedes drivers, while Fernando Alonso did 1038 km less in the MCL32 than Bottas did in the W08.

Much has been made of the problematic new Honda engine, of which the team used three during the four days, but apparently the chassis is quite a handful too.

However it would be unfair to lob this into the pile of problems the team are having just yet. After all the engine needs to be up to speed before the chassis can be seriously evaluated at the limit.

Agreed, it is not the catastrophe of testing in 2015 – remember that – but it is now three years down the road for the partnership of two organisations with massive pedigree in Formula 1. That they are still struggling at this point is incomprehensible.

The Spanish media, who report on Alonso much like the Italian media report on Ferrari, were questioning the team’s showing in Barcelona, with El Confidencial running these headlines: “What the hell is going on with McLaren and Honda after three years?” and “Fernando is driving with anger in his belly”

While Marca trumpeted: “The McLaren Honda nightmare continues”

And AS declaring: “McLaren Honda laps less and worse than last year”

We often hear how important it is for Formula 1 to have a strong Ferrari team, I agree and add that Formula 1 also needs a strong McLaren team. McLaren and Ferrari make Formula 1 richer, better value for money and more credible to fans.

As a McLaren fan I ask make the same accusations that the Spanish media make and ask the same questions.

After a below par 2016 season, Ferrari appear to have got their sums right during the winter, alas I cannot say the same of the team I support. But have to say this: Wake up McLaren because I want my happy Sundays back!

SYMONDS ADDED TO SKY SPORTS F1 TEAM

Pat Symonds, Technical Director, Williams

Press Release: Sky Sports has added chief technical boss, Pat Symonds, to its Formula 1 commentary line-up ahead of the 2017 season.

One of the most highly respected and experienced technical bosses, there are few better experts than Symonds to explain how this year’s new cars will make races faster and more exciting than ever before.

Symonds joins Sky fresh from three years at the helm of Williams’ technical department. He has won four world drivers’ titles with Michael Schumacher and Fernando Alonso, and three constructors’ titles throughout four decades working at the top of the sport.

Fresh out of his role as Chief Technical Officer at Williams, Symonds will provide expert analysis on what is set to be one of the most thrilling and unpredictable seasons to date on Sky Sports F1. He will provide commentary on a selection of races throughout the year, starting with the 2017 Formula 1 Rolex Australian Grand Prix, exclusively live on Sky Sports.

Sky Sports Head of F1, Martin Turner said: “Pat will make a brilliant addition to our team, bringing a wealth of experience to Sky Sports F1. His knowledge, expertise and passion will add another dimension to our analysis and enhance the viewing experience for fans as they seek to understand the new cars and regulations. In this era of Formula 1 there is no-one better to explain it.”

Symonds will join Sky Sports F1’s unrivalled team of experts, now boasting a multi world championship winning technical officer and a world champion driver in Damon Hill. He will also work alongside Martin Brundle, Johnny Herbert, Simon Lazenby, David Croft, Natalie Pinkham, Ted Kravitz, Rachel Brookes, Paul Di Resta and Anthony Davidson, who complete Sky’s talent line-up.

Pat Symonds commented: “I have always been impressed with the quality and innovation of Sky’s F1 coverage. It feels like a really exciting time to join the team ahead of such an unpredictable season and with all races being shown in UHD, it will be even more visually dramatic at every turn.”

Ross Brawn wants rid of 'unpopular' shark fins and T-wings

jm1702ma253.jpg

Ross Brawn, Formula 1's newly-appointed managing director of motorsport, has said he would like to see the shark fins and T-wings addressed in the regulations, as he feels they "spoil" the look of the 2017 cars.

Shark fins have made a return this season due to the lower rear-wings, whilst T-wings have sprouted at the rear of the car thanks to an opening in the regulations and a need to condition airflow running over the rear-wing.

Brawn, although happy with the overall look of the new cars, believes these two appendages must be addressed as soon as possible, though admitted it's common for unusual items to pop up with major regulation changes.

"As a racing car, it looks more exciting. The proportions of the car are better," he told the official Formula 1 website. "They’re much faster; pretty impressive performance. Drivers tell me they are physically challenging, which is what was wanted.

mercedes-w08-jm17127fe65.jpg

The Mercedes sporting a T-wing during testing

"As always with new regulations, there are few little hiccups. We’ve got the unpopular shark’s fin on the back. In time, I think we need to address those.

"Part of the objective of the new rules was to produce more exciting-looking cars, so we don’t want to spoil it with peripheral bits that take away from that. But that’s normal with new regs."

When asked about the T-wings, he added: "Those are all the consequences of new regulations, and not intended. So unintended consequences, over time, we need to iron out. And get the things looking a bit more pure."

The Briton is also keen to see the removal of DRS, but says that can only happen when the problem of overtaking is solved.

"We have to look at the whole topic of overtaking in racing, and how the cars can follow and overtake each other," he explained. "I would prefer that to be achieved by a normal process, rather than enhanced by something like DRS.

"But DRS was a solution to a problem we had at the time. I don’t think we should rush into taking DRS off, but what I’d like to see is a better long-term solution to car design so we don’t need it."

MIKA: I personally don't like the shark fins, the T-Wing isn't as bad as the shark fin though IMO

Horner: TV should not fear new F1 social media freedom

Horner: TV should not fear new F1 social media freedom

Red Bull boss Christian Horner hopes that Formula 1's television companies do not resist the opening up of video use on social media.

Ahead of the first pre-season test, F1's new owners Liberty Media gave the green light for teams and drivers to post short video footage on to the internet.

Previously, such freedom was not allowed because Bernie Ecclestone felt that it would devalue the exclusivity of broadcast deals that television companies were paying for.

With fans loving the explosion of video footage over the past week, Horner hopes that such freedoms for teams and drivers remain – and that television companies come to realise the wider benefits to be had from the sport being followed by more people.

"The television broadcaster would never get that access to what we're showing," Horner told Motorsport.com. "They need to ultimately complement each other, because we're not going to film anything on track – that's not within our remit.

"But by being able to personalise the drivers, give an insight into some of the bits behind the scenes, it will only encourage a growing following to turn on the television and watch the races. I really see it as a general benefit to the overall sport."

Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren, talks to the media   Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing RB13 with the media   Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing with fans

Good for fans

F1 management's decision to open up social media use was only a trial for the first test, and it is unclear if the freedom will remain in place for next week's final test or the F1 season itself.

Horner believed the move was a big winner for fans – and anything that could attract more to follow the sport had to be embraced.

"It's that behind the scenes stuff that the fans crave, and it's been great to get that content out there," he said.

"At the end of the day, it's an advertisement for Formula 1, because hopefully then, as the following grows, those followers will want to view the races and turn on their televisions. It's how they complement each other.

"We've certainly put out a lot of content. They've even put me on Instagram! It's been tremendously well received. It's been a great way of advertising the sport, and engaging with the fanbase.

"The way people watch content these days is very, very different. You've only got to go on a train and see how everybody is looking at their phone. By opening up this avenue to get great content out there, I think it's a real positive."

The Best Interview You'll Watch Today... 

Chloe’s back, asking Lewis Hamilton life's toughest questions! Watch as they talk time, tactics and... oh yes, Beyoncé!

MIKA: I personally don't like the shark fins, the T-Wing isn't as bad as the shark fin though IMO

Exactly what I was going to say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The Best Interview You'll Watch Today... 

Chloe’s back, asking Lewis Hamilton life's toughest questions! Watch as they talk time, tactics and... oh yes, Beyoncé!

Give that girl a job, she's a natural.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

WEHRLEIN WILL TEST FOR SAUBER THIS WEEK

C6PR7WnXQAIgJO-.jpg

Pascal Wehrlein will make his first official appearance for his new Sauber team at the second Formula 1 preseason test in Barcelona this week, after doctors declared him to be fit enough to do cockpit duty for the first time this season.

Wehrlein was forced to sit out last week’s first preseason test in Spain, in the wake of his spectacular crash during Race of Champions event in Florida, in January.

Sauber appointed Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi to replace Wehrlein and share track duties with Marcus Ericsson last week.

Wehrlein will now get to sample the Ferrari powered Sauber C36 car in the second test, which takes place at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya on March 7-10.