I have been thinking about this subject matter for some time and have now decided to broach the qestion.

Why is it  ring gauges less than 40 that I get a huge amount of nicotine build up.  I smoke slooowww

so as not heat the slim cigar up.  I keep the cigar dry meaning I don't slobber when I puff and wet the tip as I have

seen other smokers do.  For the life of me I can't figure this one out.  Any Ideas or feed back from members

would go a long way in myself resuming smoking the slimies again.  I have quite a few in my humidor

but am afraid to waste them because of the nicotine build up.  Thanks!

Never experience nicotine build up but sometimes have tar build up.  When it comes to tar buildup, smoking speed and type of cigar was the 2 biggest factor for me.  I'm a fast smoker so this happens from time to time.  Also, some cigars, mostly NCs, is more prone to tar buildup.  I like the smaller RG size cigar and seldom get tar buildup from those.

I smoke mostly skinnies (42 or less).

I just ran out of du gourmets and can't find any more, running low on lgc 4s, have lots of plmcs along with plps and rgpes. 

I do get this sometimes, though not from the short fillers. 

Like you I really can't see the reason for this as I smoke so slow I get the reverse pyramid a lot.

Have tried punch cutting and the humble guilo with no discernible difference. 

The only way I lessen the effects of nicotine buildup is to drink beer or coffee while I enjoy the rest of the cigar. This is am / pm decided.

Whisky / whiskey on ice or rum on ice or with coke do not help.

You have prompted me to try something else though. I get the best draws on pyramids and belis with Bartolomeos 45* cut and I might try this on a pc or smaller today.

• Like 1

I imagine it has something to do with the volume of air you draw through the cigar in relation to the surface area of the tobacco

When we smoke, regardless of what we smoke, we normally draw the same volume of gas (smoke and air) into the mouth regardless of the RG of the cigar we are smoking.

As skinnier cigars have less surface area to distribute tar and nicotine from the burning ember ahead of it even though the same volume of gas is traveling through, I can understand how you'd get a build of impurities faster in a skinny cigar than a larger one

I get a similar problem when I smoke thin RG cigars in high ambient humidity environments
Lanceros and the like tend to turn spongy and harsh by the halfway mark when smoked in 80% RH+ but if I smoked a 60rg is fine til the nub 

4 minutes ago, polarbear said:

As skinnier cigars have less surface area to distribute tar and nicotine from the burning ember ahead of it even though the same volume of gas is traveling through, I can understand how you'd get a build of impurities faster in a skinny cigar than a larger one

This is why  I'm thinking of trying the 45* cut, like when putting flowers in a vase, increasing the surface area in this case for inhaling.

2 hours ago, kuma said:

I have been thinking about this subject matter for some time and have now decided to broach the qestion.

Why is it  ring gauges less than 40 that I get a huge amount of nicotine build up.  I smoke slooowww

so as not heat the slim cigar up.  I keep the cigar dry meaning I don't slobber when I puff and wet the tip as I have

seen other smokers do.  For the life of me I can't figure this one out.  Any Ideas or feed back from members

would go a long way in myself resuming smoking the slimies again.  I have quite a few in my humidor

but am afraid to waste them because of the nicotine build up.  Thanks!

What are the symptoms?  Plugging and non-burn in the last 3rd?

Pixa both!  A few times felt dizzy but it could be a combo. of tar and nicotine build up as one member pointed out.  Also

I think the draw was very tight at times.  I hate to waste the Monte. Esp.'s I have and the Cohiba Esp.'s also.

The Por Larr. Montecarlos / Panatels and La Gloria D'or #2 / #4 give me no trouble.

Thamks for everyones feed back.