Edgestar 28 bottle: Cannot get the RH back again...

Nattyboh74

First off here it is: http://www.edgestar.com/TWR285WD-EdgeStar-28-Bottle-Wood-Wine-Cellar/TWR285WD,default,pd.html?cgid=Wine_and_Beverage-Wine_Refrigerators

Now Ive had this cooler for years like 7-8 years and at first it took a bit to get it settled down. It ran GREAT for years. I moved into my own place and ever since then I cannot get it dialed in. I know Piggy talks about micro climates and how the ambient plays a big part, I can see that now. Before as I said it was great, barely any fluctuation of RH. What I did change was I added some 4a HCM ( well generic ) beads and removed my OLD HF beads. They were discolored and cracked so I thought why not do an upgrade, the 4A beads seem to work great. My RH isnt terrible now, I can get it around 64 and 66% ( 64 on top and 66 at the bottom ) I have a fan blowing up the back wall to help even it out some and it doesn't seem like it wants to work. I have it on 100% of the time, maybe I need more CFM?

Occasionally I'll get some condensate on the back wall, but it collects into a dry bin of HF beads. I dont get much so I dont really consider that a HUGE issue. I have since removed all beads except for about 8oz of HCM beads. I have them in the top right and left corners ( using bulk HF bead tubes )of the cabinet to help even out the RH more. I have like 16oz or so on the bottom ( well had ) and I had about 4 oz in the middle.

I have unplugged it and plugged it in and I dont see much of a jump or drop in RH. I understand that the moisture saturation at say 65deg / 65RH will be less or more than 70deg /65RH but it still confuses me. Anyway, any and all help here on dialing this thing back to 65RH Id appreciate it. Im about to go to walmart and get some silica kitty litter as a cheap alternative to run another test. Also the cigars havent been tasting good nor are they burning great. They end up going out in about 30-45seconds or so. Maybe thats normal, but it doesnt seem to be where it should be burn wise.

Thanks again.

Can you post pictures of the humidor? Not commercial pictures but yours!

Generically, you run what may be considered (at some times) as a sealed system. If the rH is too high, you have too much water trapped in there! It is pretty simple.

I would open it up and take everything out. I would tilt the cooler to its face side and see if you can dump water from any holding area below the cooling coil.

I would bake my desiccant product and attempt to remove some of their water content.

I would put it back together and try it once more. I would move the fan so that there is no possibility that it funnels a flow of air into the 'cold plate area.' These means if there is a shelf or other item that deflects air into that area, I would move the shelf below that area.

You should look at anything that changes when you move or rearrange a humidor. If you made the mistake of moving the humidor with the contents intact, I would immediately look for boxes that might have been soaked by water. Yes, water that looks like it came from nowhere!

Any humidor that is partially controlled is not complete (MHO). Any 'controlled' solution can go awry, mine included. Yet the level of control and engineering is what widens this envelope to greater variances in ambient conditions. A complete or 'consummate' solution heals itself from these 'walks' off a beaten path. A semi or quasi controlled system has no such ability. Once it goes awry, it is the administrators responsibility to assess the factors creating the 'out of envelope' variable and correct them. Of all these systems, one that controls direct refrigeration without supplemental control of other factors is potentially the worst. I won't argue what some will say 'works just fine...' That is in the eye of a beholder, I am talking direct empirical experience of my own based on experimenting with generation after generation cooler design. When you push any system until it fails, you find the edge of the envelope of failure. Knowing where your system fails, is a part of defining success of such a venture. (MHO).

If you don't have the experience of failure on your own (like I do) you must break down the system and examine each factor of potential change. That is what I do whenever anyone posts one of these threads.

Good luck on your project, I hope this helps you bring it back in line! -Piggy