Bolivar Royal Corona (PSP) : ULA OCT14 : Bolivar Review Comp 2016

skalls

The week after a vacation is always a bit of a bother.  This week kept that belief true, and amped it up to 11.  12 hour day with 10 stuck in the same conference room talking about 2017 planning on Wednesday, a mere day after I get back from Texas did not do me any favors.  But it was good to get back into the swing of things.  And on Friday the weather was beautiful, so a couple cigars were enjoyed to unwind after work and celebrate the weekend being here.

Pre-Draw:

This is a very handsome looking cigar having been perfectly box pressed.  The wrapper is oily and feels like smooth leather.  Construction is perfect and the cigar feels very dense.  I still can't get used to how easy a draw these have given how densely packed the cigars feel.  I would dare say that this isn't a Cuban draw since it's very Padron like (minimal resistance).  It's not a bad thing, it simply is what it is.  I'm getting spiced coffee and pepper in the flavors.

IMG_20161028_160234200.jpg

First Third:

Smoke output is fantastic.  It's both oily and creamy.  Finish is long lasting,  The main flavor I'm getting is that typical bolivar twang, earthy pepper.  Coffee and milk chocolate are the other flavors I'm getting.  Burn is generally pretty even but did need a minor touch up on one side about 10m into this third.  Flavors really compliment that beer too.  Body is right on medium and no strength anywhere in sight.

Second Third:

The ash holds on for about an inch at a time.  If i could knock this cigar for anything it's that there was no transition here.  What I got in the first third continued right up until I dropped the ash just past the halfway point.  It's a stretch to complain about that though because the flavors were just spot on.  The burn wasn't quite as even and did need to get touched up a couple times.  Given the oil content in these wrappers I wasn't surprised that I had to do that though.

IMG_20161028_162708859.jpg

Final Third:

I had to grab a pullover because it felt like it dropped 10 degrees outside during the second third.  I did get a transition here.  The peppery earth died way down.  Coffee flavors came to the forefront along with the milk chocolate.  There was a trace of salted nuts as well.  Everything just blended together so well.  Smoke output continues to be fantastic and long lasting.  The cigar kept on burning and the smoke was still cool until i couldn't hold it anymore without burning my hand or lips.  Found it interesting that the cherry was that warm but the smoke was barely above the ambient temperature outside.  Total burn time was 65 minutes.  There weren't any changes in body or strength since the beginning.

IMG_20161028_164849921.jpg

Final Thoughts:

This is a cigar that just hasn't disappointed me.  Every single one I've had out of this box has been excellent.  Not terribly complex but when all you want is to relax and unwind, the flavors it gives hit the spot.  I do need to get another box over the winter as I don't think the current box I have is going to last past the next year.  I'm not sure what upside benefit these would have aging them more years.  They are in stride now and damn enjoyable to have.

92/100

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been enjoying cc's for a few years so i don't consider myself an aficionado (yet).  heck I still don't understand half the acronyms I see on here, but slowly getting the hang of them.  with that said, I got a box of BRC's last month and I found I agreed with your review, especially the part about how densely packed they are yet the draw is so smooth and easy.   Thanks for confirming what I thought about this cigar, just needed someone with more experience to put it in words.   Very much enjoyed your view!!!!!