Down the calibration wormhole....

BarryNY

Trying to calibrate the "calibrator"...LOL.

I purchased the Extech RH390 Precision Psychrometer for $162.  The reason I bought this is that it is one of the most accurate handheld units available for a "reasonable" price with a +/- 2%RH accuracy.  It also has one of the fastest response times at under 30 seconds.  And, Piggy, it can be NIST certified if you need it to be.

I wanted to use this as my "control".  It is really not for constant on - it's for getting a quick read of the environment it's in.  Place it in the winedor or humidor and in 30 seconds you have an accurate RH% down to the tenths.  I hope to use this to very quickly compare to the hygrometers that are constantly reporting.  But first I needed to make sure it was reading correctly.

I put 65%RH Boveda packs in a double locked ziplock freezer bag for 12 hours.  We have to remember that the Boveda specs are +/- 1%RH of the stated pack RH.  So a 65% pack can be putting out anywhere from 64% - 66%RH.  Not bad really.

As you can see in the upper middle I have my Caliber IV from my humidor.  Great hygrometer with a stated +/-1%RH accuracy and can be calibrated.  Showing 65% no tenths.  Could be 65.4%RH rounded down.  The Extech is showing 65.8%RH.  

All in all, I'm very pleased with this test so far....

calibration.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...