Initial Planning for Wineador - Suggestions Welcome

Tex

After reading through Piggy's posts for hours, I have started putting together plans for a wineador. I'm bound to make mistakes -- however, I'd like to try to get it right the first time. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Ambient Environment - Heated and cooled

Summer: 78 dF / ~50 rh | Winter 68 dF / unk rh

Desired Microclimate in Wineador (Not sure on final settings -- will determine based on personal taste)  ;-)

65-70 dF & 60-65 rh

As for the wineador, I'm looking at compressor models that can hold between 30-50 bottles. I currently have a Ranco ETC that I can use to precisely control the cooling cycles.  My goal is to balance quick cooling cycles to limit impact on RH with unnecessary wear/tear on the compressor. 

As for humidification, I understand that a combination of active and passive work better than either alone. So I'm looking at a beaded desiccant as well as some type of active system like an Oasis. I also realize the active humidifier could greatly increase condensation if it runs during a cooling cycle.

How complex do I need to get? Am I totally off base?

Your thoughts and assistance is greatly appreciated!

I sell kits to convert specific wine coolers. I have no desire to tell you what to buy or what you need.... BUT, if you buy a specific cooler that I make a kit for, if you cannot make it work, I can!

Like all things wine cooler humidor, functioning is in the eye of the beholder. I am into proven function. While perfection is still outside of my realm, I get pretty damn good performance.

Like others on this site, I have a vision of what storage is. Yet, mine is a bit extreme. I don't therefore push people to believe what I believe. You therefore have to decide the level of performance that you want and certainly what you can afford to spend, as well as if you want to spend it on storage.

Here is a link to a cooler. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-Vissani-50-Bottle-Wine-Cooler-Stainless-Door-MCWC50DST/100597196

Whether or not you can make it work or not, is not at all up to me. There is an enormous amount of skill and knowledge that goes into making this work if one starts from scratch. Reading many posts and about my projects gives many of the concepts.

To start you need a concept of what you expect and an idea how your are going to use the thing and make it work as well as what appliances you will use to make the system functional and then a budget.

From my perspective more people are concerned about what it looks like than how it works. If you want it to work like one of my projects, there are no shortcuts. If you are into some kind of balancing act were the ambient drives your device and your mood, fears and concerns, there maybe ways that you can get some form of control over a narrow range by accident. I don't work that way, but some do and it does ostensibly work for some people.

Best of luck on your project! -Piggy

• Like 2

Man... I soo wished I found FOH about two months ago. I saw one of those Vissani 50 bottle coolers on Craigslist for 50 bucks.It runs but the thermostat is busted. I think it's still for sale. 

Perfect candidate for your kit. 

• Like 1