External Temperature Controller and Wineador restart temp.......

dodger29

Hi All,

I am sure the obvious answer is the right one, however, I just wanted to check......

I have ordered a temperature controller for my new wineador setup.

The nature of the device shuts power to the cooler off and then back on again at desired set points....

If my appliance is factory pre-set to come back on at 12degC after power up, it should be of no concern to me as the external temperature controller's set point is 20degC.

Therefore, the cooler itself will always be set at 12degC due to the appliance being powered on and off as directed by the external cooler.

Is this correct?

Many thanks!

Why do this when a little wiring will net you the correct result, whereas you don't run two controllers in series.

Depending on what you buy, you may have a lockout built into the wine coolers controller designed to delay a restart after a power outage. This is referred to a delay on make relay, or anti-short cycle relay.

Frankly I would disconnect the power lead from the controller and safe it off. The neutral will remain connected as well as the power to the controller. This way you have your fancy lights and the thermometer reading of the cooler (up in lights) if that is important to you. Direct wire the new controller to the compressor starter and you have it...

Now the cooler controller stays powered on all the time but the set point is irrelevant as the relay leading to the cooler (compressor) is safed off. The new controller is energized full time and it takes over the running of the cooler.

That is one way to rewire a controller, around but not in series with a secondary controller.

I trash the original controllers, they are just a waste of power and something else to fail and run the entire system off of a unified controller (my own). I am assuming, perhaps wrongly that you not intending on unifying this system and purchased a purpose built temperature controller, as a single relay controller, not inclusive of any humidity control.

Best of luck on your project. -Piggy

Hi Piggy and thanks for the quick response.

I think I got it.....I will wait for the controller to arrive and then sit down and go through each step of the process before I launch headfirst into it!

Correct on not including active humidity control........ going down the passive route.

I am not afraid to get things wrong as I learn..... all my cigars (all 3 boxes of them!) are in an underground cellar at a friends place kept at 69-70degF and 60-65% rh....

I intend to experiment for a while until I am satisfied that I have something worthy of storing cigars safely!

thanks for your advice....

You had written another thread about controllers and I never got around to answering you.

I am a lousy video maker, okay, but I am working on it due to the fact that people ask me performance based questions all the time and this should demonstrate what to expect when building a controlled humidor that has active, precision controls. I made this vid for a guy in Bahrain who had questions about his project and I wanted to demonstrate why you don't want a protracted cooling cycle.

It demonstrates a bunch of process, and it might be a little confusing at first. As it is unscripted, forgive the verbal bouncing around.

The back story of this cooler is that it is a test box with about 200 to 300 cigars in it. I keep my frauds collection and in it, as I use it as a test platform and as a simulator. You will understand more when you see the video. I have had this cooler almost a decade now and it has been refitted with design changes many, many times. I use an external controller/simulator on this box for the very reason that you will see in the video.

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/3wwbrY_AnSc

Thanks...... Have you enabled a privacy setting on this video? Won't let me watch..... Says its private?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I am not really prepared for the world of YouBoob! -LOL Send me your email and I will open it up to you. I will likely start a regular public channel one day just not today...

[email protected]

Most of my videos have been made for specific people to provide specific demonstrations. I used to just link them to dropbox, but thought I would try this.... -Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am not really prepared for the world of YouBoob! -LOL Send me your email and I will open it up to you. I will likely start a regular public channel one day just not today...

[email protected]

Most of my videos have been made for specific people to provide specific demonstrations. I used to just link them to dropbox, but thought I would try this.... -Ray

[email protected]

Hey Ray,

I sent you an email with my email address but you obviously missed it....

I was hoping to gain access to the private youtube video we discussed?

My email address is: [email protected]

cheers,

Roger

Got it Roger!

My friend when we get a lot of newer members, I often get swamped with email. To be frank, I often forget who has got what problem, or what I promised to send. Reminders never offend me... I realize that my memory is not what it used to be.

Do me a favor and send me another email. I have been trying to keep myself organized better this way. Checking threads, PM's and the like is driving me nuts...!

I am about to tear my Mac desk down and incorporate a NAS system on my desk so I could be outta business working on that for the next few days. If you don't get a link within 72 hours just zip me out another reminder! I have a lot of irons in the fire!!!

Cheers, and sorry! -Ray