Tupperdor - 22deg C temp, 65 humidity

martinr

Hi Guys,

Ok so i have a small tupperdor to keep my very small collection of Cigars in.

i have located it in the most temperature stable place in the house i can find.

So the temperature is basically always around 22 deg C, sometimes 23 deg C

I have a 65% boveda pack inside and the reading im getting is always 65% humidity

Does this humidity level seem ok with this temperature ?

Thanks

Cheers

Martin

Yes I'd be happy with that. Your temp is unlikely to cause beetles to hatch and your rH is where I set my cigar storage. If you wanted to be super safe, you might consider freezing your stock before putting it in the Tupper, but that's mostly if you might get temperature spikes well above 22C.

I use a big 100L scuba box for my cigars, with RH beads and Bovedas packs for humidification. Temps do spike over 25oC, but it has never had any effect on my smoking experience. No-one else has complained either... though, they may have been too polite to complain.

I guess I could stabilise the temps by storing the box under the staircase with my wine, but then I would have less space for wine.

Thanks PapaDisco and Fuzz.

What exactly does freezing the cigars do ? does it not do any damage to the cigars ?

and what is the process involved for freezing ? storing in ziploc ? do you remove the air ? how long do you freeze for ?

Thanks again

Cheers,

Martin

Thanks PapaDisco and Fuzz.

What exactly does freezing the cigars do ? does it not do any damage to the cigars ?

and what is the process involved for freezing ? storing in ziploc ? do you remove the air ? how long do you freeze for ?

Thanks again

Cheers,

Martin

Freezing kills any beetle larva or eggs. Put your cigars in ziploc bags, into the fridge for a day, freezer for a week (the colder the freezer, the better), back into the fridge for another day or two.

I've never seen a beetle in any of the cigars I've bought from Rob. I have seen a beetle hole, but that is extremely rare. Having said that, a beetle can always hop on board anywhere along the journey to you. I'd definitely freeze any custom cigars or anything bought from DF.

Agree with the above.

When it's time to re-up on Boveda packs, you might experiment with even lower humidity levels. Assuming the temperature remains fairly constant, I'd try 62% or even 60% (giving it at least a month or two for the new humidity level to settle, each time you change). See how that works for your smoking experience -- flavor, draw consistency, need to relight. Just something to keep in your mind as an option as you continue your journey.

Cheers!

thanks planetary i will give that a try with the next lot of boveda.

How do i know when the boveda pack needs replacing ? are there tell tale signs its on its way out ?

and Fuzz whats a cigar bought from DF?

Cheers!

Martin

How do i know when the boveda pack needs replacing ? are there tell tale signs its on its way out ?

When the pack becomes hard, then it's time to replace. The video is a little old, they have a shelf life of 2 years in the plastic and they last a lot longer than 3 months in a stable environment.

• Like 1

thanks planetary i will give that a try with the next lot of boveda.

and Fuzz whats a cigar bought from DF?

Cheers!

Martin

DF = Duty Free