for fans of "24"

Ken Gargett

i think past threads have suggested that there are quite a few fans of "24" on the forum - for me, a brilliant series and one does miss jack B a lot. wish they'd make more.

anyway, a while back, i noticed that SBS2 (for overseas people, that is our second level multi-ethnic public tv station) was showing '24' around 3am on sunday mornings - i just happened across it by a fluke. assumed it was some totally useless boring doco but i did check it out.

turns out that the indian actor, anil kapoor (one of the great bollywood actors and probably an actor with more fans than any other living) had bought the rights and that the originally creators assisted in putting an indian version together (he has the rights to the enttire 10 series).

i thought it might be a bit of fun so taped them and recently watched them. it is inevitable one misses jack bauer (jai singh not quite the same ring to it) and i thought kapoor might be too old but they easily skirt that.

it basically follows the plot of series 1 with a number of changes. jai also has a son in the military and a few things are different but i won't spoil it. the political side is much more devious and intricate.

the production values are first class. i'd venture even better than the original.

by the end of the series, i will confess i actually preferred this indian version and can't wait for series two.

if you are a fan and get the chance, don't miss it.