FORMULA 1 - 2016

WOLFF: PRESSURE IS ON TO ENSURE THE BATTLE IS DECIDED MAN-TO-MAN

Formel 1 - MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, Großer Preis von Singapur 2016. Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg ;Formula One - MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS, Singapore GP 2016. Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg;

Mercedes team chief Toto Wolff is adamant that, despite wrapping up their third consecutive F1 constructors’ title in Japan, his team has work to do to ensure a level playing field as their two drivers battle for the drivers’ title in the remaining four rounds.

Speaking ahead of the United States Grand Prix, Wolff said, “The title is purely between them, which is fantastic news for the team as we can be happy whatever the final outcome.

“However, the pressure is on to ensure that their battle is decided man-to-man, and hopefully wheel-to-wheel, on the race track.

“Last week was a fitting way to mark a great achievement by the hundreds of men and women who made this triple Championship a reality,” said Toto Wolff.

“But that was last week. We now look only forwards and our priority over the coming weeks is to give both our boys the best possible chance of winning the remaining four races.”

“We may already have celebrated our Championship success as a team – but we have a responsibility to the drivers and will not let anything distract us from the job at hand.

“Likewise, we have an entirely new challenge to prepare for in 2017. While we savour these moments, it’s going to be a long, hard winter ahead.

“There is much work to be done in the coming weeks and months – but also plenty of excitement on the way I’m sure,” added Wolff.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He screwed himself.  No one forced him to drive that aggressively onto the curb.  Did drivers get screwed by the wall in Monaco when they slam into it?  By qualifying everyone knew what the curbs were

Ha Ha

I thought it was a fairly entertaining race. McLaren had some speed, Alonso would would've been a p7 or 8 had he not had that horrific crash. Renault engines, when the work, look to have decent pace

Romain Grosjean to celebrate 100 Formula 1 race starts at Haas's home race

haas-romain-grosjean-0987654.jpg

Romain Grosjean will start his 100th Formula 1 race at this weekend's United States Grand Prix, which just so happens to be his team's first ever home race after joining the grid at the beginning of the current season.

The Frenchman described it as "quite something" and believes there will be many more to come in the future.

"When I started in Formula 1 I thought it’ll just be one race after the other, then here we are at 100 grands prix, 10 podium finishes, a few points and lots of good memories, and some a little more difficult," he said.

"The good thing is, I don’t know when I’m going to stop, but I think I’ve still got plenty of room in front of me to keep going and to keep trying to win. Definitely 100 grands prix is quite something in my lifetime."

Looking ahead, Grosjean is eyeing the ultimate success, but says the next step must be to get Haas in a position to win races.

"For myself, I want to be world champion, ideally twice," he added. "That’s been my dream since I started. I always wanted to be in Formula One but, on top of that, I want to be world champion.

"For Haas, the first goal was to score points and the second one was a top-five finish. We’ve done those two. The next goal is to be wearing the team’s colors on the podium. That would be very nice. I’d like to bring the first win to the team, which would be unbelievable.

"I think the whole idea is wonderful and having the support of Gene [Haas] means a lot to all of us. The way Guenther [Steiner] and all the people involved are running the team is just something very special. I want to be the driver that everyone remembers at Haas."

MIKA: I really hope this team grabs some points, they thoroughly deserve it. 

• Like 1

Five memorable US Grand Prix wins

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Michael_Schumacher_US_GP_2004

F1 fans have both enjoyed and endured a love/hate relationship with the United States Grand Prix since its debut in 1959. Ahead of Round 17 in Texas, Planet F1 brings you five memorable races ranging from the fantastic to the darn right farcical.

You will struggle to find a more bonkers race than this.

The crumbling Dallas circuit was described as “a glorified rallycross track” and the searing heat led to Osella’s Piercarlo Ghinzani having a bucket of cold water thrown on him in the pits, Nigel Mansell passing out when trying to push his car over the finish line and eventual winner Keke Rosberg being aided by a water-cooled skullcap.

18 of the 26 drivers on the grid retired with 14 of them colliding with the wall – including Ayrton Senna who was adamant that the wall moved to hit him!

Ferrari’s Rene Arnoux came from 26th to finish second and, to top it all off, Jacques Laffite turned up to the track in his pyjamas in protest to the eventually cancelled pre-race warm-up being moved to 7am.

Nigel Mansell 1984

The season opener in Phoenix, Arizona, was all about two drivers: Ayrton Senna and Jean Alesi. The latter, in his inferior Tyrell, took a shock lead after starting fourth on the grid, but when Senna eventually caught him the rest of the race should have been a mere procession.

However, Alesi, to the surprise of everyone, immediately overtook Senna again in what was an almighty scrap for the race win until the Frenchman began to preserve his tyres and settle for a very impressive second place.

Alain Prost and Jean Alesi were expected to dominate in their Ferrari cars but they, like many other drivers, were limited by their unsuitable gearboxes in the race that marked the end of 33 consecutive F1 races in the US.

In a car that was only race-ready six hours before the first practice session, a majestic Ayrton Senna tied Jackie Stewart for second on the all-time winners’ list with his 27th career victory.

There were also notable debuts from two-time world champion Mika Hakkinen and the green livery of the Jordan team, while the podium of Senna, Alain Prost and Nelson Piquet was the last time since the 2010 Canadian Grand Prix that three world champions finished in the top three.

US GP 2004

The race remembered for all the wrong reasons. After Ralph Schumacher’s Toyota crashed on the fastest part of the track in practice, tyre manufacturer Michelin advised the seven teams they supplied not to race due to safety concerns.

A compromise of a additional chicane to the final turn was proposed to help lessen the tyre load, but Ferrari and the FIA vetoed the plan.

As the 20 cars came to the end of their formation laps, hearts sank as 14 cars slipped away down the pit lane leaving just six cars left to race and eventual winner Michael Schumacher greeted with boos and thrown bottles from the baying mob in the stands.

This race may barely be a year old, but its place is worthy on any United States Grand Prix list.

Only 12 cars finished an action-packed race which featured two virtual safety cars and another two actual safety car appearances. The second of which helping to set-up a pulsating finish between Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg after an afternoon of contrasting weather conditions, various lead changes and utterly superb racing.

Hamilton, on fresher soft tyres, charged down his team-mate and forced him into a mistake that saw him only take the race lead on lap 49 of lap 56.

The eventual victory meant that Hamilton became only the second Brit after Sir Jackie Stewart to win three world titles and also match the feat of his hero Ayrton Senna.

This year’s race certainly has a lot to live up to.

Ericsson: Old engine reasoning makes sense

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Marcus_Ericsson1

While Marcus Ericsson, should he stay on at Sauber, is facing a season of racing with a year-old engine, the Swede says he understands Sauber decision.

Sauber have confirmed that next season they will race year-old Ferrari engines.

Making the announcement, team boss Monisha Kaltenborn explained: “We took a strategic decision that we want to focus the resources we have on chassis development and performance development, and in a way leave the engine side to the areas we know.”

Although Ericsson questioned the decision when he first heard, the driver says he understands Sauber need to focus on the chassis in light of the sport’s new technical regulations.

“When I first heard about it, I questioned it quite a lot and I was thinking, ‘is that really the right way to go?'” he said.

“You look at Toro Rosso and how much they have lost.

“Then I spoke to the guys at the track and the factory and the reasoning makes sense, as there are really big changes to the regulations and we are a small team.

“The team can focus on developing the car for next year and knowing what package we will have and what power unit we will have will help.

“You look at Toro Rosso and how much they’ve lost, but all the guys I speak to back in the factory and here are convinced that it’s the right way to go as a team.

“The chassis has not been where it should be in this team, and to go into the winter not knowing about the package is just going to hurt even more.

“Now, the resources are here in the team to really push on the chassis side and they feel that to really do that they need to know early enough what we’re going to have in the back.

“If we know what we have in the back they can really push hard on the chassis side. So I understand it and it makes sense to me now.”

Rosberg determined to ‘get it right’ at Austin

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Nico_Rosberg5

After a “pretty crazy” outing in 2015, Nico Rosberg is hoping for a dry weekend as Formula 1 returns to the Circuit of the Americas.

The championship leader built his advantage over Lewis Hamilton up to 33 points as the last race in Japan when he claimed his ninth win of the campaign.

But with 100 points still in play, Rosberg is by no means guaranteed the World title.

The German first has to overcome the last four obstacles starting with Austin where last season he slid off the track, which allowed Hamilton to pass and take the victory.

This season Rosberg is looking to get it right and hopes the weather plays along.

He said: “We’ve got four more races left of this season for everyone to hopefully enjoy some great action on track – starting of course in Austin this weekend.

“It’s a great circuit, with some really challenging sections and a few good opportunities for overtaking.

“Last year this race obviously didn’t work out so great for me, so I’m looking forward to getting back out there and doing my best to get it right this time.

“Hopefully we won’t have the same weather as last year – that was pretty crazy!

“Mostly I hope it stays dry for the fans: they were amazing waiting out in the rain last time, so they’re owed a nice dry weekend I think! They give us such great hospitality that they deserve an exciting show, so we’ll do our best to provide that.”

In has been a good build-up to the United States Grand Prix for Mercedes with the team celebrating the Constructors’ Championship.

Rosberg and Hamilton wrapped that up last time at Suzuka as Mercedes moved over 200 points clear of second placed Red Bull Racing.

“It was a great week, heading back to the UK with the Constructors’ Championship in the bag and celebrating with all our colleagues at Brackley and Brixworth,” Rosberg added.

“They’ve worked so hard and really deserve this moment.

“It’s job done in that battle for this year – but I know they’re already focused on 2017.”

On Ron Dennis and McLaren 

Image result for ron dennis mclaren winning

There have been quiet whispers for months that Ron Dennis might be removed from his position at the head of what is now known as the McLaren Technology Group, the parent company of the McLaren F1 team. There has never been sufficient on-the-record evidence to justify writing a story, but the rumours have swirled nonetheless.

It is clear, if you look at the paperwork, that Dennis does not have control of the business, in terms of shareholdings, owning just 25 percent of the shares and so, logically, if the other owners combine and vote against him, he could be removed from his role, just as Martin Whitmarsh was when Dennis made his comeback after five years away, in January 2014. The deal at the time, so they say, was that Dennis would toughen up McLaren in F1 and would make it more competitive. He would also find backers to buy shares from his partners and retake control of the entire business. That hasn’t happened and it is said that various deadlines have come and gone.

Just to be clear, we are talking only of the racing team and associated companies, not the automobile manufacturing business, which is separate but has most of the same shareholders.

The parties involved, of course, are saying nothing publicly, although the official line is that there is no change planned. But does that mean no change in the future as well?

The question that the McLaren shareholders face is simple and yet complex at the same time. Will separating McLaren from Dennis cause the company any harm, or will it be able to work differently and achieve more success if he is no longer there? 

One cannot fault his record of success in the sport, McLaren won seven Constructors’ and 10 Drivers’ Championships during his reign as team principal between 1980 and 2009. Having said that it is quite astonishing to think that the team has not won the Constructors’ title since 1998, although it has been runner-up seven times since then.

Dennis is not quite as integral to the team as, for example, Enzo Ferrari was with Ferrari, but the difference is only really the name. Dennis took over McLaren 36 years ago and built it into the empire it is today. It is a remarkable achievement and one which should be recognised as such.

Under Whitmarsh – between 2009 and 2013 – McLaren did not win the World Championship, but the team was at least winning races. The change of engine rules and the switch to Honda meant that it has done little since Whitmarsh departed.

Ron is 70 next year and has always been keen to promote the idea of handing the company on to younger men, but at the moment it seems that this ambition is less acute than once it was.

One way or another things seem to be coming to a head and we will see which way the wind blows.

The United States GP with Kimi Raikkonen - Scuderia Ferrari 2016

“It’s a nice circuit” says Kimi of the American track. “They put a good design in it, plus it has uphill sections and it’s not just flat. I think it makes it more interesting. Last year we had a very bad weather during most of the weekend. It was not very nice for any of us, drivers and spectators, but it’s part of the game."

The History Of The Pit Stop: Gone In Two Seconds (Trailer)

What can be done in the time it takes to blink? This is the story of the brave mavericks who invented the techniques and technologies that took the pit stop from minutes-long racing rarity to an F1 staple that takes less than two seconds to complete.

RED BULL: Over a Decade of Demos

Bringing the show to new F1 audiences for over ten years now, we look back at some of our favourite tyre shredding moments from over the years.

F1 US GP: Alonso out to emulate 2015 fightback in Austin

Alonso out to emulate 2015 fightback in Austin

Fernando Alonso says he is aiming to replicate his fightback through the field in last year's United States Grand Prix to act as a boost after disappointment endured at Suzuka. 

The former F1 world champion is looking to make amends for the frustrating Japanese Grand Prix last time out when he struggled home in 16th to record his worst finishing position of the year. 

The McLaren-Honda driver heads to Austin in a positive frame of mind despite the disappointment as he returns to a circuit he relishes having scored a podium when the Circuit of the Americas track made its F1 debut in 2012. 

Last year Alonso suffered a puncture on lap two which dropped him the back of the field but through impressive strategy and a number of retirements ahead of him the Spaniard narrowly missed out on clawing back into the points with an 11th place finish in difficult conditions. 

“It's great to go back to North America – Austin is a really cool place and I'm pleased we're returning there after a bit of uncertainty following last year's event,” Alonso said. “It's a grand prix in which you never really know what to expect, and I would say that last year I had one of my favourite races because, despite having a puncture on lap two, we were able to push and make progress through the field, which was hugely satisfying from behind the wheel. 

“The weather can always give us a few surprises and the track temperature often changes a lot from session to session, so I hope we can find a good set-up early on and improve our pace as the weekend progresses.” 

VETTEL: MY CONTRACT IS ALL FINE FOR NEXT YEAR

sebastian vettel f1

Sebastian Vettel avoided giving a direct answer to reporters when quizzed about his future at Ferrari, when his contract runs out in 2017, in the aftermath of recent comments by team boss Maurizio Arrivabene stating that the German would have to earn his seat with the Scuderia beyond next year.

Vettel said that the team had other priorities, “I think we are all fairly busy at this time to focus on the four races that we have left and focus in particular to prepare for next year.”

“I think honestly that’s where the main focus lies. I don’t think it’s that important to look into details, my contract is obviously all fine for next year.”

“With a lot of things happening back in the factory, back in Maranello, I know that we are very, very busy — that’s also where I want the focus to be.”

The Italian team has not won a race so far this season. They are way off the pace setting Mercedes and of late Red Bull appear to have the edge over the Reds.

F1+Grand+Prix+of+Austria+Vettel Ferrari crash

However Vettel, a four times world champion, is not losing hope, “I think there’s always a chance [of victory]. I think obviously in Japan we did some progress so that was positive. It could have been a bit better in Japan but it wasn’t, so we’re ready for this race. The most important step is that we fight, that we give everything we have.”

“I think [Japan was] a step forward. Both Kimi and myself liked it straight away. I think it gave us quite good performance in Japan. Japan usually is quite a good test for the overall performance of the car.”

“Here you can argue it’s similar in some ways [to Japan], the first sector has a lot of fast corners as well, the last sector is a little bit slower, but overall I think it gave us a good indication for this year.

“There’s always somethings that you learn – next year the rules are changing quite a lot but still every but you understand about the car and how it works helps you for the future,” added Vettel who lies sixth in the 2016 Formula 1 world championship standings.

HAMILTON: I WILL TRY TO TAKE IT LIKE A MAN

lewis hamilton f1

Lewis Hamilton has it all to do in the final four races of the 2016 Formula 1 season if he wants to retain his title and become a four times world champion, should he not succeed he plans to take it like a man.

Ahead of the United States Grand Prix in Austin, Hamilton was asked how he would react if he failed to beat Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg to the title, he responded, “I will try to take it like a man. You can’t win them all. Look at all the world champions in the past who have won and lost championships, it is part of the game.”

“I am in a position right now where there are still a lot of points available so I will give it everything I’ve got and believe anything is possible but then I will move on.”

“Once it is decided and it happens all I can do is shape the future which is next year. Life will move on, we go into next season and hopefully come back stronger.”

Hamilton’s season has taken a dip in recent races. He has not won a grand prix since July while Rosberg has racked up four wins f=during the same period.

“We would always be having close battles, all of us here, if all things were equal … whatever our scenarios are there would be a certain result. Obviously this year it’s been a little bit different in terms of how our performances have been, particularly mechanically, and there’s nothing you can do about that.

“Out of the ten times the car has been good, whatever it is, I’ve often done the job with it. But then there definitely has been a few that in the first few seconds of the race hasn’t gone that well, but that’s racing sometimes,” explained Hamilton.

BOTTAS: LET’S WAIT AND SEE

valtteri bottas f1

Valtteri Bottas is playing his cards close to his chest with regards to his plans for 2017 and beyond, confirming that he still has no deal with Williams amid reports that he is in talks with Renault.

When asked by media about his plans for next season, he replied, “We’re going to need to wait a little bit to get things confirmed about what’s going to happen next year.”

“I’ve had a great time with the team and we’ve had some good results, but I feel like there could be something more to achieve together, but let’s wait and see.”

Bottas admitted that things have not gone quite as expected in recent races for the team which last year was third in the F1 constructors’ championship, but now are fifth and battling with Force India.

“We’ve struggled a bit in the last couple of races with the pure pace,” said the 27 year old Finn. “Obviously the team has focused a lot on next year’s car and we can definitely see that some other teams are improving.”

“It’s more tricky in certain tracks, so hopefully here it’s going to be better and I’m sure there are still good races for us this year and we just need to make sure we get everything right,” added Bottas.

ANDRETTI: I HOPE HAAS SIGN AN AMERICAN DRIVER

(L to R): Alexander Rossi (USA) Marussia F1 Team Reserve Driver with Mario Andretti (USA) Circuit of The Americas' Official Ambassador. 04.09.2014. Formula 1 World Championship, Rd 13, Italian Grand Prix, Monza, Italy, Preparation Day.

Motor racing legend and Formula 1 world champion Mario Andretti laments the fact that there is no American driver on the Formula 1 grid, and admits he is mystified why Alexander Rossi is being overlooked by teams.

Andretti told ESPN, “Having an American team there, maybe some of that will change and I hope they do sign an American one day because I think you have a vast fanbase here in the United States.”

“Even for Formula One, I think it’s understated. But I can see it really really magnifying if there was an American driver there, especially now there’s the race at Circuit of the Americas.”

“Alexander Rossi is one perfect example of one [American] talent being overlooked for some reason. He’s done very well in GP2 and all that, he knows the circuits very well and has the experience. But when you’re not considered by a top team there’s no way you’re going to be able to show what you can do.”

Andretti suggests that teams should be allowed to run a third driver as was the case in the sixties, seventies and early eighties. Indeed many top drivers, including him, were introduced into F1 as a third driver – Jody Scheckter and Gilles Villeneuve spring to mind.

andretti-ferrari

“My first Formula 1 race was with Ferrari as a third driver, a top team. Imagine if one of our talents, even Alexander, would have been invited by Mercedes to be third driver at some events it might have been another story, he might have shown differently.”

“Now, having done quite a good season here in the States and having signed for another season with Michael, it looks like he didn’t have any offers from a top teams [in F1].”

Team owner Gene Haas has his reasons for not opting for an American driver, “If we had to do everything American, we wouldn’t have enough money or enough time for anything.”

“We’re here really to build a race team. If an American driver came along to have the pedigree to do this, yeah, we would seriously consider that. But at the moment, there aren’t any F1 drivers.”

“You’re always looking for experience. It’s a driver’s market right now because we’ve lost two very experienced drivers and the newcomers really don’t have much experiences.”

“There’s lots of drivers out there but you take that chance of the unknown. There’s a lot of people that can compete well in GP3 and GP2. They qualify well but racing in Formula One is a whole different sport,” explained Haas.

LAUDA: NICO AND LEWIS REMINDS ME OF HUNT AND I

hunt-lauda

Mercedes chairman Niki Lauda has likened the difference in personality between Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton, the himself and James Hunt.

Lauda and Hunt were immortalised in a the movie Rush, which was about the epic 1976 season in which the flambouyant, party animal Hunt triumphed over the conservative, clean living Lauda.

The three times world champion told Press Association, “It is like Hamilton and Rosberg today. One lives one kind of life, and the other lives a different lifestyle. It was a similar situation between James and me.”

“I was trying to concentrate, focus and work on my car, and get everything right. He had an easy life and got it right in another way. He was a straightforward, eccentric, and a weird guy, but very good for Formula One.”

Lauda was involved in a fiery accident that season at the treacherous Nurburgring Nordschleife, he survived despite being administered the last rights on his hospital bed.

He missed two races after his crash, and returned to the cockpit heavily bandaged, but in thte end Hunt did enough to win the title at the final race in Japan that year.

Nico+Rosberg+Lewis+Hamilton

Lauda recalled, “I have to say that when he won the championship, I said to myself, the only one who deserves it is him. With his ups and downs, and drinking, and the way he lived Formula One, I was really happy it was him, and I told him that.”

Years later Lauda and Hunt met again, “He was having a rough time. He called me, and I went to meet him on King’s Road in London.”

“He came out on a bicycle which had no air in the rear tyre, and he was completely finished. I spoke to him for a long time and I said ‘if you keep on going like this you will end up in a disaster’. I leant him some money, and really backed him to get his act together again.

“Three years before his death he was completely sober, fit like a whistle, and all the partying, the drugs, and the rock and roll lifestyle was gone. He was safe in his life, so it surprised me and hit me really hard when the guy passed away. I was really sad.”

Lauda’s take on Rush, produced by Ron Howard and released in 2013 is: “The reaction was very good for a racing movie. Eighty percent from my point of view is right, and 20 percent is Hollywood. The movie I really liked and the reaction around the world was unbelievable.”

LAMBORGHINI DREAM OF F1 BUT NO PROJECT YET

Stefano Domeniclai Lamborghini

Lamborghini chief executive Stefano Domenicali admits that Formula 1 is a dream for the iconic exotic car manufacturer, but also stresses that the time is not right for such a project.

Domenicali, a former Ferrari team principal, told Sky Sport 24, “Formula 1 is a dream that exists for Lamborghini, but it must be clear that we have to keep our feet grounded as we have other pressing priorities.”

“Motor sport is part of the DNA of Lamborghini, which is music to my ears,” added the Italian.

Lamborghini is part of the Volkswagen Group who have highly successful and effective motorsport programmes, but their priorities are not of a sporting nature at this stage of the brand’s road-map which currently involves the launch of the SUV style Urus.

“First is to consolidate in our market sector,” explained Domenicali. “This is growing and we are excelling here. Secondly, a game changer for Lamborghini, is the launch of Urus. And as a result of this the welcoming of new clients that will become part of the Lamborghini family.”

Lewis Hamilton laments 'disastrous' brake setting changes at Austin

d11eef91d196b65046348de1be5a47c2.jpg

Lewis Hamilton blamed "disastrous" brake setting changes between Friday practice sessions for the gap to Mercedes team-mate and Formula 1 title rival Nico Rosberg at Austin.

The reigning world champion was the quicker of the two in the morning session, but felt uncomfortable with the car in the afternoon and ended up three tenths adrift of Rosberg.

"I wasn't comfortable in the second session," Hamilton told reporters.

"I had some problems with the braking and that was losing me quite a lot of time.

"We had made some changes which made the car better but then we had some brake setting changes which were disastrous.

"I was struggling to finish a lap without oversteer but we'll fix that for tomorrow.

"There's loads of room [to improve] and once we fix the braking thing, we'll be back on pace."

Daniel Ricciardo believes Red Bull is potentially quicker than Mercedes heading into the United States Grand Prix after splitting Rosberg and Hamilton and lapping just 0.194s off the pace.

When asked if Red Bull looked like a threat, Rosberg said: "Yes, for sure, but just as they have been in the last couple of races.

"They have been close and I don't think it has changed this weekend."

91639445679649aead034a8194168ebc.jpg

Hamilton acknowledged the threat but feels there is more to come from Mercedes.

"They [Red Bull] are going to be very quick this weekend, it's going to be a challenge," he said.

"Ricciardo is looking very quick.

"I guess more of our pace will show tomorrow where we'll get a better understanding.

"But they are definitely not far behind."

Rosberg hinted that what the team learned on Friday may not be relevant if the wind direction changes on Saturday.

"It's going to be interesting because the wind will change 180 degrees, so completely different," he said.

"It transforms the car totally so maybe what we've learned today might not apply to tomorrow and we'll have to start from scratch. That will be a challenge."

Haas F1 team explains why winglets snapped off in US GP practice

2ed8de7b18ff3504bb1df87e53fab100.jpg

Haas Formula 1 team principal Gunther Steiner has blamed poor bonding for the number of rear winglets breaking off the team's cars during United States Grand Prix practice.

Both Romain Grosjean and Esteban Gutierrez suffered issues at Austin on Friday, leaving Haas on the back foot going into its home weekend.

"We didn't do good today. We need to do better tomorrow because we had a few issues with some rear winglets breaking off," said Steiner.

"We lost too many parts. It happened three or four times, always the winglet, but we realise now what it is and we'll fix it for tomorrow."

Steiner said the breakages were being triggered by "the kerbs, along with the high downforce through the first sector, corners three, four and five.

"It seems like the vibration meant they broke off where they are bonded, so we need to make a mechanical fix and then a better part for the future."

The plethora of issues inevitably resulted in a loss of track time, leaving Grosjean and team-mate Esteban Gutierrez down in 18th and 20th, both over two seconds off the pace.

"We lost a lot of parts on the car, they are not holding up as they should," said Grosjean.

"Because of those missing parts I was a long way off the pace and I haven't learned too much, so we need to work hard overnight to work out why this was."

6ed5f16223ad613e714aab4a143a859d.jpg

Gutierrez added: "What happened wasn't nice, it disturbed our programme a lot.

"It brings a lot of confusion on the car balance, presents different scenarios, but we have some information to try to put it together.

"It wasn't an easy day for the whole team, but we need to stick together and work hard tonight to try to make things better for tomorrow."

There was further embarrassment for Haas towards the end of practice one when both cars had to be pushed back into the garage from the end of the pitlane.

"One stalled [Gutierrez] and the other couldn't find reverse [Grosjean], so we pushed them both back in. Nothing dramatic," said Steiner.

"It was just a mapping issue on the engine side, so the first stalled, and the second one we did for safety reasons instead of Romain trying to engage a gear and breaking the box."

To add to those problems, there was also a general lack of overall performance from Haas.

"We know where to go, but the lack of stable running doesn't help to find performance and the set-up," said Steiner.

"That's the biggest problem we've got, so with the engineers and the limited amount of data we've got we need to find a solution for FP3."

ARRIVABENE ON THE WAY OUT BUT WHO WILL LEAD FERRARI?

maurizio arrivabene f1 ferrari

There is growing consensus in the Formula 1 paddock that Ferrari team chief Maurizio Arrivabene is presiding over the sport’s most successful team for only four more races, as more and more Italian media report that he will be ousted before the end of this year.

Amid high, albeit naive and ill-advised optimism, expectations of Ferrari big boss Sergio Marchionne, the Scuderia has failed to deliver on a level that justifies the massive expenditure made in the few years since the end of the Luca di Montezemolo led era at Maranello.

It is true that Marchionne hand-picked Arrivabene to lead the squad after the turmoil of 2014 and the pair have enjoyed a close relationship. But Marchionne’s motto has always been “all are useful but nobody is indispensable.”

Word is that Arrivabene was on his way out in around mid-season, earlier this year, but a decision was made to retain him so as to keep things calm within the organisation. At this point Sebastian Vettel seized the opportunity to become more involved behind the scenes and with the running of the team.

This in turn led to an uneasy atmosphere, which former Ferrari engineer (no doubt quoting insiders) described, “They are no longer a team, but a group of people who does not invent out of fear of making a mistake. They work in a climate of terror.”

Ferrari Formula One team leader Maurizio Arrivabene (L) and Sergio Marchionne, CEO of Fiat Chrysler automobil arrive in the paddock before the start of the Austrian F1 Grand Prix at the Red Bull Ring circuit in Spielberg, Austria, June 21, 2015. REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger - RTX1HG4Q

Harsh words indeed directed at the top management. Baldisserri also pointed out accurately and with refreshing honesty that “neither Marchionne nor Arrivabene have experience racing.”

Tensions between Arrivabene and Vettel grew when the team principal took advantage of the Italian media slamming the German, after his Turn 1 incident in Malaysia which resulted in a first lap DNF.

Shortly after the scathing reports and editorials appeared, Arrivabene stuck the knife in by claiming that extending Vettel’s deal beyond 2017 would only happen if and when the four times F1 world champion proved himself on track.

The Marlboro Man also used the opportunity to tell Vettel to focus on driving and not managing the team. The swords were drawn at this point.

The comments will no doubt have irked Vettel but instead of going on the offensive, and rising to the bait, he has appealed for calm and asked that the team be allowed to focus on their work. Clearly a sign that he is biding his time before he gets his comeuppance on the team chief.

As naive as he is about Formula 1 – and let’s face it he is pretty clueless – Marchionne must know that Vettel is his biggest asset at the moment, as the team wallows in uncertainty and fear with no real leaders in sight right now. The German has the character and is capable of galvanising the workforce while having the respect to attract the right people to key positions.

With Arrivabene out the door, following in the still wet footsteps of Marco Mattiacci (remember him?), the big question is, not only who can fill the role but also, who is willing to do so?

Kimi Raikkonen (FIN) Ferrari, Maurizio Arrivabene (ITA) Ferrari Team Principal and Sebastian Vettel (GER) Ferrari walk the track at Formula One World Championship, Rd15, Singapore Grand Prix, Preparations, Marina Bay Street Circuit, Singapore, Thursday 15 September 2016.

We are talking here about a team that axed Aldo Costa, who subsequently joined Mercedes and has played a big role in making the team what it is today.

More recently they lost James Allison and by all accounts it was not an amicable parting. Scapegoat springs to mind. Whatever the case, Ferrari lost one of the few acknowledged F1 engineering supergurus – an Adrian Newey of sorts.

On the matter of Newey… surely if they could have had lured him to Maranello they would have done so by now. Perhaps with Vettel in the ascendancy of power within the team he will be able to entice the Englishman to come spend time in Italy. The pair did win four F1 world titles together in the Red Bull heyday, not long ago.

The Ross Brawn back to Ferrari story is old hat and is reeled out every time there is a story on Ferrari senior management. Perhaps it is unlikely, but let’s face it, still plausible as Brawn’s soon to be released book suggests that the Briton has some unfinished business in Formula 1 vis-a-vis a suspected but up until now unofficial  acrimonious fall out with Mercedes.

Revenge would surely be to lead a Ferrari resurgence and trounce the Silver Arrows, but that’s too Hollywood I guess. So let’s forget Newey and Brawn for now – but don’t discount them.

From within Ferrari there is hardly a pool of exceptional talent to choose from for the position. Mattia Binotto is the current blue-eyed boy, but his credentials as an engineer are hardly stellar. His lack of experience at the helm of a F1 team is a major factor that plays against him.

arrivabene-boullier

Enter into the scenario Paddy Lowe, Christian Horner and Eric Boullier, the trio of outsiders being bandied about as possible Arrivabene replacements.

Lowe has the pedigree to head up the technical side of Ferrari, but lacks the personality and stature of a Jean Todt or even a Ross Brawn to lead them to battle. He fits well in the Mercedes ruling triumvirate, and would need a similar leadership structure around him to operate successfully. Problem is Lowe says he is not interested.

Red Bull chief Horner would fit the role and of course he would be reunited with Vettel. The pair, more likely than anyone else, would be capable of luring Newey to the team. Should this happen the parallels to the Schumacher-Todt-Brawn golden era would be quite remarkable too. Problem? Yes. Horner says he is not interested.

Then of course there is Boullier. And I can only ask: why would Ferrari want him? What has he achieved at McLaren? Was he really such a big deal with Lotus? Not an option in my book.

Thus the quandary for Ferrari. Arrivabene has to be out the door for sure. But then who will (or can) lead the sport’s most important team to world championship success in the foreseeable?

• Like 1

PALMER: KEVIN AND I HAVE NOT GOT THE CREDIT WE DESERVE

jolyon palmer f1

In what is a sign that his stint as a Renault F1 driver is over, Jolyon Palmer laments that Renault have not given him the credit he believes he deserves for his efforts with a well below par race car in his rookie season.

Speaking to media ahead of the United States Grand Prix weekend the Briton said, “Neither of us have got the credit we deserved in a difficult car, and that has been proved by the fact that at least one of us will be replaced.”

“I think [Renault] appreciated the drive in Suzuka, but do they appreciate everything we have done? I am not sure…” mused Palmer. “The next couple of weeks something will be decided. I feel like I am in a much clearer position. In my opinion there are three drivers going for one seat.”

Last week Renault confirmed that Nico Hulkenberg would be joining the team at the end of this season and have made no secret that they are targeting Williams driver Valtteri Bottas for the seat. They also have an option on young Frenchman Esteban Ocon.

It is increasingly unlikely that Palmer or Kevin Magnussen, their current drivers, will be retained. Although the latter has a better chance of a second year with the team than Palmer, who makes no secret of his wish to remain with Renault.

“Things have been getting better and better this year, but the rest is out of my hands,” Palmer added. “I want to stay with Renault, but I need to look elsewhere because clearly somebody is going to be disappointed. I have to prove why I should be here, but there are other options.”

“Obviously the Force India seat has been closed until last week and that is a good option, but the main focus is on doing a good job here. I have been improving all the time. Malaysia was a good race and Suzuka was even better. If I can keep that up I have got a lot to show in Formula One,” insisted Palmer.

Rosberg: Friday’s data could be wasted because of weather

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Nico_Rosberg_21

After out-pacing his team-mate Lewis Hamilton in FP2, Nico Rosberg reckons that the data they gathered during Friday’s practice sessions could be wasted if the weather takes a drastic turn.

During FP1, the Championship leader said that the track was very cool compared to the afternoon session, something that it is very common in Austin.

He also noted that there was a clear difference in performance between the two practice rounds.

“The running of the car was different between P1 and P2 because of the temperature; it was very cold when we ran this morning,” said the German.

“The weather also had a bearing on the balance of the car [throughout practice] as it altered as a consequence of the changing wind direction around the track.

“The weather is going to change again, as it does frequently here in Austin, and it means what we learn today might not necessarily help us for Saturday.”

Hamilton, who was pipped by Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo in FP2 as he split the two Mercedes’, was delighted that the reliability of his Silver Arrow was good.

“It’s been a great day for reliability and getting our programme done,” said the Brit, who topped the times in the morning session.

“Given the wet weather conditions here last year and the lack of reference points for each tyre compound Nico and I had to cover as much ground as possible to help with our understanding.

“We’ve still got to go away and analyse the data overnight to make sure we’re ready.”

Vettel admits ‘tough’ day for Ferrari

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Sebastian_Vettel_USGP

After placing eighth in FP1 and fourth in FP2, Scuderia ace Sebastian Vettel admitted that it was a tough day for Ferrari ahead of tomorrow’s final practice session and qualifiers.

Adding to the Italian manufacturer’s woes, Vettel’s team-mate Kimi Raikkonen placed tenth during FP2 after going off the track on one of his hot laps. The Finn did however finish the first practice session P4.

Overall, though, the quadruple World Champion was not happy with Friday’s proceedings and was almost a second slower than FP2 leader Nico Rosberg.

“It was a tough day,” he told reporters at the end of the day.

“This morning we had a problem with a little wing that failed and came off. We lost some track time, which was a bit costly for the afternoon, because we couldn’t re-balance the car.

“I think that we’ve been on the back foot today.

“I’m not entirely happy with the car’s balance yet, because it’s a little bit too nervous all around, but I think for tomorrow we can improve.

“Hopefully tomorrow will be a lot stronger.”

Perez ‘expected’ Hulkenberg’s Renault switch

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Sergio_Perez

Sergio Perez says after he decided not to swap to Renault, it was “kind of expected” that Nico Hulkenberg would make the move.

Although Perez was linked to Renault for several weeks, the Mexican racer eventually decided to remain with Force India.

Days later Renault announced that they had signed Hulkenberg to head their line-up in 2017.

“I knew that if I didn’t go there then Nico was very high on their list,” Perez said. “So it was kind of expected.”

The former McLaren, who has stated that he is keeping his options open for 2018, will have a new team-mate next season.

Esteban Ocon, Pascal Wehrlein and Daniil Kvyat are reportedly the frontrunners, although Perez’s only criteria for his new team-mate is that they are fast.

“I’m sure the team will make the best decision. I just hope that whoever comes, comes with the right attitude.

“Obviously a quick driver and with the attitude to work together for the team.

“That makes a huge difference, because if you have a driver who is too far off the pace then you just don’t make the most out of the car, because you know that if you don’t have a good lap you can still beat your team-mate.

“I think for me it’s very important to have the fastest possible team-mate.”

AUSTIN QUALIFYING: ADVANTAGE HAMILTON

lewis hamilton f1

Lewis Hamilton signaled his intent by powering to pole position for the United States Grand Prix – his first in Austin – edging Mercedes teammate Nico Rosberg by two tenths of a second and with it setting the stage for an intriguing duel between the title contenders.

Hamilton was quicker than Rosberg in the first Q3 run, then the reigning world champion went even quicker in his final stint to set the pole position winning lap of 1:34.999, while Rosberg compromised his lap by going wide into Turn 1 on both his runs. He ended second best, 0.216 of a second down on his teammate.

Hamilton commented afterwards, “I feel amazing. It is my first pole here. It has been many years of trying. A lot of great people have tried to get me there. Big thanks to the crowd. I could hear them cheer as I crossed the line. I hope tomorrow provide them with great race.”

There was very little to separate the pair on the twists and turns of Circuit of the Americas, where the Silver Arrows were again the dominant force, enjoying over half a second per lap advantage over their closest rivals.

Rosberg said, “There was nothing specific. I preferred sector two and three today and that is it. Lewis was quicker in sector one, that was it. Nevertheless we have seen this year qualifying is not all important and I still have a great chance from P2.”

lewis hamilton f1

Next best were the Red Bull pair of Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen, third and fourth respectively. More was expected from the energy drinks team after they finished 1-2 in FP3 a few hours earlier. But when it mattered, Mercedes turned up the wick and the Red Bulls found themselves half a second shy of the pace required to challenge the pace setters.

Ricciardo summed up, “Not concerned about strategy. I expected it to be like this.Max wanted to try the softs and for me I wanted to super soft. I was more comfortable on that tyre yesterday. Hopefully it will give me a better launch off line. Not close to Mercedes, we expect them to be hard to beat, but a buffer over Ferrari. We have a good chance tomorrow. We will see what happens. super softs will give me friendly grip off the line.”

Over a second down on Hamilton’s best time were the Ferrari duo of Sebastian Vettel, fifth fastest, and Kimi Raikkonen sixth on the timing screens.

Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg got one over constructors’ championship rivals Williams by qualifying seventh, ahead of Valtteri Bottas in eighth and Felipe Massa in ninth, with Carlos Sainz tenth for Toro Rosso.

For the frontrunners Q1 was straightforward. Mercedes seized the initiative, with Hamilton quickly rising to P1 with a time of 1:36.296 and was joined at the top by Rosberg, Verstappen and Ricciardo.

ricciardo

After setting times hovering around two seconds clear of Romain Grosjean’s P16 time after the drivers’ first spell on track none of the leaders would require another run.

At the foot of the table though, Jenson Button was in trouble. Having failed to get the best out of his first run the McLaren was languishing in P19. With team-mate Fernando Alonso in P11 ahead of the final runs the expectation was that Button would quickly make the leap to safety.

However, on his final run his hit traffic and posted the 16th best time, and as rivals found more space on track the 2009 champion slipped back to where he began, P19 and elimination.

Joining him on the sidelines as Q2 began were Grosjean in P16 followed by Renault’s Kevin Magnussen, Manor’s Pascal Wehrlein, Sauber’s Felipe Nasr and the second Manor of Esteban Ocon.

Q2 saw the Mercedes make their customary early impact – this time with both Rosberg and Hamilton on soft tyres. They were joined in that strategic gambit by Verstappen. Rosberg took P1 followed by Hamilton but they were pushed back by Ricciardo who took P1 on supersofts with a time of 1:36.255.

The Mercedes drivers were followed by Verstappen whose first run time on softs was a lap of 1:36.857. That was better than 1.2 seconds clear of then 10th-placed Alonso, so the question was whether the Dutchman would get to stick with soft tyres for the start or whether he would need to bolt on the supersofts to guarantee passage to Q3.

rosberg

The answer was quick in coming. As the final runs began there was no sign of any movement in the Red Bull garage and so Verstappen, as well as Rosberg and Hamilton, will start the race on the soft compound Pirelli tyre.

Verstappen ended the session in P7 with the Ferraris of  Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen and the Force India of Nico Hulkenberg ahead.

Sainz put in a good performance to make Q3 in P8 for Toro Rosso after missing out on most of FP3 due to punctures caused by problems with his car and Williams’ Valtteri Bottas and Felipe Massa completed the list of the those would battle in the final session.

Out though went Sergio Perez in 11th place, with the Mexican eliminated ahead of Alonso, Daniil Kvyat in the second Toro Rosso, Haas’ Esteban Gutierrez, Renault’s Jolyon Palmer and Sauber’s Marcus Ericsson.

FIA CLAMPDOWN ON AGGRESSIVE DEFENSIVE TACTICS

VERSTAPPEN Max (ned) Red Bull Tag Heuer RB12 and RAIKKONEN Kimi (fin) Ferrari SF16-H team scuderia Ferrari action during the 2016 Formula One World Championship, Belgium Grand Prix from August 26 to 28 in Spa -Francorchamps, Belgium - Photo Florent Gooden / DPPI

FIA have clamped down on defensive driving tactics which have become a trademark of Max Verstappen after his rivals requested clarity regarding the overtaking rules during the drivers briefing ahead of the United States Grand Prix.

The FIA released a document ahead of qualifying in Austin, which stated: “Any change of direction under braking which results in another driver having to take evasive action will be considered abnormal and hence potentially dangerous to other drivers. Any such move will be reported to the stewards.”

Drivers aired their concerns about the way Verstappen has been defending during races, with Nico Hulkenberg warning that something needed to be done before there was a big accident as a result of such aggressive moves.

The concerns about Verstappen’s driving were focused on moving or changing line under braking, as well as what is called “wait-and-move” – moving to block a driver after the attacking driver commits to a move. Several drivers point to the dangers of both tactics and even consider such moves to be dirty.

Verstappen has been in the spotlight for his robust battles with Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen at the Hungarian and Belgian Grands Prix and with more recently with Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton at the Japanese Grand Prix.

SUZUKA, JAPAN - OCTOBER 09: Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain driving the (44) Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team Mercedes F1 WO7 Mercedes PU106C Hybrid turbo locks a wheel under braking as he tries to overtake Max Verstappen of the Netherlands driving the (33) Red Bull Racing Red Bull-TAG Heuer RB12 TAG Heuer on track during the Formula One Grand Prix of Japan at Suzuka Circuit on October 9, 2016 in Suzuka. (Photo by Charles Coates/Getty Images) // Getty Images / Red Bull Content Pool // P-20161009-01012 // Usage for editorial use only // Please go to www.redbullcontentpool.com for further information. //

BBC report that FIA race director Charlie Whiting has been confronted about the issue a number of times this season. His initial response was that Verstappen was driving on the edge but just within the bounds of acceptability.

Furthermore Verstappen has twice in recent races been taken aside by Whiting and warned to be careful about how he drives in such situations.

Whiting has now been forced to act and the new ruling is predicated on article 27.5 of the sporting regulations which states that “no car may be driven in a manner which could be potentially dangerous to other drivers” and article 27.8, which prohibits any manoeuvre “liable to hinder other drivers, such as any abnormal change of direction”.

In Austin drivers and teams have been reminded of article 27.6 which states: “More than one change of direction to defend a position is not permitted. Any driver moving back towards the racing line, having earlier defended his position off-line, should leave at least one car width between his own car and the edge of the track on the approach to the corner.”

The regulation tweak is already being referred to as the “Verstappen Rule” in the F1 paddock.